Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• RYGUY7

Why does TOT not..

Hey everyone,
    I read that TOT has basically the same ride concept as California - and by that I mean not transfer from one shaft to another (some people call it moving into the third dimension or something).

That's always been my favorite part of Florida's ride and I thought Tokyo would do that too but reading the reviews it sounds like they don't.

Anyone know why they omitted that part? It can't be a money issue with OLC..umm, can it?
    RY

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Why does TOT not..

I personally could not imagine a Tower without the 5th dimension, as I've only experienced Florida's. Therefore, riding California's, Tokyo's, and soon Paris', I would certainly feel the ride was slightly empty.

To answer your question, I think it was more a case of ride logisitics and re-programming the stubborn new California system that was created from scratch instead of just re-modifying Florida's.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Maybe the fifth dimension room and the mechanincs that moved the elevator forward was too problematic? Or maybe it is a case of hourly capacity. The newer program might allow more shafts and elevators to be operating at once rather than just two. But that's just my guess.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well, they call the 5th dimension the "Twilight Zone" and since the Japanese are not familiar with that TV show, they ommitted the whole Twilight Zone theme from their version... what with the entirely new storyline and all.

• It's all about Theme!

I believe the reason is that the japanese don't have the twiligh zone series in their country.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

I personally do not care to take a guess on why the Imagineers designed this (and DCA's and WDSP's) tower without a 5th dimension room, but I honestly believe that having the load and preshow queue areas in front of the elevator shafts, and a dual floor boarding platform, as opposed to MGM's TOT having the queue *behind* the elevator shafts may have had something to do with that. That is probably why the elevator ride at DCA/TDS/WDSP begins with the elevator moving backwards, with no forward motion as is with MGM's case.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Well, they call the 5th dimension the "Twilight Zone" and since the Japanese are not familiar with that TV show, they ommitted the whole Twilight Zone theme from their version... what with the entirely new storyline and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I believe the reason is that the japanese don't have the twiligh zone series in their country.
    He wasn't asking about the lack of the Twilight Zone, but the lack of the elevator moving forwards. Many credited DCA's as lacking this feature because of budget cuts to the project.

From what I understand the 5th Dimension's omission was due to it simply being a pain in the butt to operate. It is supposedly the number one cause of downtown for the Florida tower. However, not being a frequent visitor to WDW I don't know exactly how much downtown that could be.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

At WDW, after the final drop, the elevator also turns 90º
    to let you out a different direction, than you came in!!!
    This isn't talked about too much, BUT it really adds to the
    effect, that you end up somewhere else after being in the
    elevator. I didn't know this when I was on ToT, and it
    really surprised me.

I really dislike ToT at DCA, because it does neither, AND
    because the service elevator door at DCA, isn't the
    elevator door at all, you walk thru a hallway to get
    to the elevator. When you get out of the elevator,
    you exit the elevator, and just follow the hallway out.
    Really a lame way to exit. WDW ToT is MUCH better
    designed.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I really dislike ToT at DCA...WDW ToT is MUCH better
    designed.
    Can we not do this?

Each version has their pros and cons, I have just gotten out of a lovely fight on this on another site.

We can all agree to disagree.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    Can we not do this?

Each version has their pros and cons, I have just gotten out of a lovely fight on this on another site.

Agreed. Personally, I have no preference over which is better. There are elements which DCA does better, and there are elements which I like better in MGM's version. Same goes for Tokyo, though it surpasses many elements in both American version.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy7 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I read that TOT has basically the same ride concept as California - and by that I mean not transfer from one shaft to another (some people call it moving into the third dimension or something).

That's always been my favorite part of Florida's ride and I thought Tokyo would do that too but reading the reviews it sounds like they don't.

Anyone know why they omitted that part? It can't be a money issue with OLC..umm, can it?
    RY
    I guess call it 'rev 2' since none of the newer towers do it. For efficency, reliability, etc? Who knows.. only the designers could validate. But obviously its considered a 'better' overall design because its the standard now.

And its the MGM one that goes up to an 'intermidiate' horizontal path between the loading areas and the thrill portion of the ride. There is a link on this site somewhere to an excellent page that describes the ride in detail, including drawings and illustrations of how the ride operates. I can't seem to find it right now, hopefully someone will chime in with a link

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    Can we not do this?

Here! Here! I too feel that way as well as I have no preference of one TOT over the next. However... can I still say TDR soars above WDW's lacking quality?? Please??

• Minion

I posted this question in DLR thread about the 5th dimension room and its absence from the one at DCA and all I got is bunch of responces that it is so much better with out it. I think the one at WDW is a one-of-akind attraction just like HM and POTC at the DLR. You can copy the original but you can not duplicate the original to a exact copy. Sure DCA has a few effects that are different but as I remember there were huge budget cuts and the people at WDI felt the 5th dimension room never really worked right or fit in. WDW has the attraction that LEAD them all to where they are today. It is a Awesome Attraction!
    Jason

It seems like the WDW version also takes up a little bit more land which also might have something to do with it.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

As I've said, the 5th demension room doesnt add or detract from the ride.. your just rolling through a minimally themed room, knowing exactly where the drop is.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast