Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

There's no doubt that Tokyo DisneySea is the most beautiful theme park in the world, but do you think it derseves as much hype as it gets? In sheer richness and detail, it surely cannot be beat but did OLC make the right choice by having so much money spent on the environments instead of the attractions? Many people have complained that while Tokyo DisneySea is the most beautifully designed park, it is a bit lacking in the attractions department. Would it have been a better plan to allot 50% of the budget spent on theming to adding more D-tickets and E-ticket attractions, especially since it still would've beaten every other park in design and execution? Did the OLC really get a product worthy of the original Disneyland, and was it really worth 3 billion dollars?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Re: Tokyo DisneySea- Is it the best second gate?

What are you going to compare DisneySea to?

DCA? No
    Walt Disney Studios Paris? NO

Epcot? Possibly.
    Animal Kingdom? No
    Disney-MGM Studio? No

The only possible comparison is Epcot, which doesn't have a lot of rides, either. Tokyo DisneySea kicks Epcots ***!

• Banned User

I much rather have a richly detailed theme park that affects my senses over 29 rides with no substance whatsoever. Reason why I have never cared to go to Cedar Point.

• Minion

I think what I meant to say was if Tokyo DisneySea lives up to the original Disneyland. Imagineers took a big step in creating a completely unique theme park, yet which borrows a lot of elements from Disneyland. Tokyo DisneySea is the only other park since the traditional Magic Kingdom to be based on "fantasy" and lucky for them, it worked. All the other Disney parks since have one universal theme, but Tokyo DisneySea doesn't really. Even the ports themselves are loosely based on the sea, less than you would imagine. Recently, I've heard from people who say they dislike the "realism" that Tokyo DisneySea offers. Realism being that all the ports are based off real locations instead of the generic lands at the Magic Kingdoms. Personally, I find this hard to believe. There's nothing I would like more than a stroll around a Mediterranean Harbor and enjoying the fine details in American Waterfront.

I have never been but I really believe that it is the second best gate... It is so beautiful and immersive. Plus they are adding rides and expanding!

• Banned User

There are a lot of Epcot fans out there.

It would be interesting to hear the Japanese perspective on this, since they don't care nearly as much for DisneySea as Tokyo Disneyland. Wonder what they think of Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

• Former Epcot CM

I do think DisneySea and Epcot are in a league of their own, and cannot really be compared. But they are the best second gates by far.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
    There are a lot of Epcot fans out there.

It would be interesting to hear the Japanese perspective on this, since they don't care nearly as much for DisneySea as Tokyo Disneyland. Wonder what they think of Epcot and Animal Kingdom.
    For what I have heard from japanese customers coming back from WDW... They prefer MK and MGM best. Epcot seems to get low marks for being boring to them. This is based on my conversations with returning japanese tourists on my working flights to Japan. As for the "they don't care nearly as much for TDS", well... I have never placed fault on that on TDS itself, but on OLC, and their restrictive policy in regards to ticketing. They *need* to sell 1-day hoppers to help that park a bit. Many of my japanese friends like the atmosphere of TDS and some of their more adult offerings but many go there for just a day and have to make a decision about which park to visit, so of course.. they will choose TDL because that is the original Disney experience. IT hurts also that in their quest for offering the very best experience possible to returning guests, both park end up competing against one another. Such is the case right now. With Halloween in full swing at TDL, it takes away from TDS' thunder. I also place blame for the artsy-fartsy direction the american entertainment team in charge of producing for TDS has taken. The japanese revere the characters, and that is why bohemiam productions like BraviSEAmo! do not cut it. Reason why the new Big Band Beat show with the characters is here to stay and the "Snow Queen" show has been dropped from production. The american audience is open to that artsy broadway style stuff in Disney parks but not the japanese.
    Still, the dedicated fans in Japan have not abandoned TDS. many travel from as far away as Sapporo (many regular fans commute for hours to get to the park often as well) to get their fix of TDS when something new comes on, be it an attraction or event. But like DLR.. TDR also has a tougher time filling parks with a mostly local crowd. That is what OLC is beginning to learn in the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    I do think DisneySea and Epcot are in a league of their own, and cannot really be compared.
    I agree.

But they are the best second gates by far.
    For their respective resorts, yes. But honestly... when you take it all in concideration... TDS is the best 2nd gate of all the Disney resorts to me, simply because, it offers what EPCOT offers...and a whole lot more themed atmosphere not found at EPCOT. TDS has adult options in dining and shopping, night time shows and daytime theater like shows and a decent collection of great rides, many in the E-ticket category, and a much more sophisticated themed experience that even EPCOT can not match with all of it's grandeur... You can call me "biased" all you want, but if I honestly saw the same level of quality at EPCOT that I see in every corner of TDS, I would honestly believe otherwise. But that is not the case.

• Banned User

I'm not really suprised with TDS, its the last park on my Disney park list to ever visit. It seems boring and non-disney.
    Last edited by barfownz; 09-15-2006 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling error

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'm not really suprised with TDS, its the last park on my Disney park list to ever visit. It seems boring and non-disney.
    Your loss dear. Seems to me coasters and 6-flags is more up your alley.
    TDS is more for the sophisticated, and if you don't cut it, you don't cut it. But your lack of knowledge about TDS fools you. This is probably the MOST Disney themed park ever built besides the average DL parks out there. Most ports of calls ("lands" for your understanding) were built and designed after famous Disney movies (Aladdin, 20K, Lil Mermaid). Disney characters are found everywhere at the parks and are the stars of many shows and attractions here. Theming (a Disney trademark) is the most lavish of any park. etc etc etc...
    But I can kill myself trying to get my point across.. doesn't matter. Yoou still will not be able to afford going there even if you wanted desperately to go.

• Former Epcot CM

Of course it does.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Your loss dear. Seems to me coasters and 6-flags is more up your alley.
    TDS is more for the sophisticated, and if you don't cut it, you don't cut it. But your lack of knowledge about TDS fools you. This is probably the MOST Disney themed park ever built besides the average DL parks out there. Most ports of calls ("lands" for your understanding) were built and designed after famous Disney movies (Aladdin, 20K, Lil Mermaid). Disney characters are found everywhere at the parks and are the stars of many shows and attractions here. Theming (a Disney trademark) is the most lavish of any park. etc etc etc...
    But I can kill myself trying to get my point across.. doesn't matter. Yoou still will not be able to afford going there even if you wanted desperately to go.
    TDLFAN, do yourself a favour and don't play into his little game. Seriously, you're above that. I mean, why the hell would anyone make a statement like he did? If he'd rather visit the Walt Disney Studios Paris then Tokyo DisneySea, which I'm sure he really wouldn't, fine. But me and you know better.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

You've got to be kidding. Have you seen any pictures of it at all? Tokyo DisneySea is the perfect example of what a Disney park should be. With lots of E-ticket attractions like Tower of Terror, Indy, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues, StormRider, etc..., how can you possibly call it boring. In fact, it's even more fun than Disneyland in my opinion. Tokyo DisneySea is leaps and bounds over ANY non-Magic Kingdom park.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    For their respective resorts, yes. But honestly... when you take it all in concideration... TDS is the best 2nd gate of all the Disney resorts to me, simply because, it offers what EPCOT offers...and a whole lot more themed atmosphere not found at EPCOT. TDS has adult options in dining and shopping, night time shows and daytime theater like shows and a decent collection of great rides, many in the E-ticket category, and a much more sophisticated themed experience that even EPCOT can not match with all of it's grandeur... You can call me "biased" all you want, but if I honestly saw the same level of quality at EPCOT that I see in every corner of TDS, I would honestly believe otherwise. But that is not the case.
    I didn't say either was better then the other . I said they were the two best 2nd gates. I left it ambiguous for exactly that reason. Now you could read that I meant 1) Epcot, 2) TDS... or you could read it the other way round. Either way, all I'm saying is Epcot and Tokyo DisneySea are the two best 2nd gates on the list.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    You've got to be kidding. Have you seen any pictures of it at all? Tokyo DisneySea is the perfect example of what a Disney park should be. With lots of E-ticket attractions like Tower of Terror, Indy, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues, StormRider, etc..., how can you possibly call it boring. In fact, it's even more fun than Disneyland in my opinion. Tokyo DisneySea is leaps and bounds over ANY non-Magic Kingdom park.
    That's exactly the reaction he wanted out of you.
    Talk about a s***-stirrer.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    why the hell would anyone make a statement like he did?
    Because after all this time, the CA fans are so green with envy because they got stuck with DCA and not something as extraordinary as TDS. Then, there are the ones who are somewhat connected to Disney... as far as I know, anyone who was actually connected in designing TDS for OLC, and was let go after the project wrapped, could be on these boards making silly statements like that just to sabotage the efforts of people like myself who values quality in regards to the Disney experience. But I am on to those as well...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast