Our thoughts on Tokyo Disneyland

We (my husband and I) were at TDL and DisneySea from Sept 11 to Sept 14. We were very impressed! Disneyland was much like the others in design and concept (understandably) but it all seemed so much cleaner and fresher. We loved the open walk-ways and the lack of strollers was quite noticable - not that they didn't exist at all, but there were SO many fewer that an DL and WDW.

We also enjoyed the different characters! I had my pic taken with Dopey and my husband with Grumpy not to mention Marie, Robin Hood, Scrooge, Bernard and a few others.

Pooh was amazing! I sat on it with the dumbest grin on my face for the entire ride both times we rode it. I really enjoyed it and thought the ride system was excellent

HMH seemed almost exactly like the one at DL after the first little bit. The line was a bit ridiculous for it so we just rode it the once. I much prefer the standard HM, it's always been one of my faves.

What else....my DH who has never been to WDW or Paris, was blown away by the size of the castle. We were a bit disappointed that it was covered in scaffolding, but to tell the truth, the painted castle on the scaffolding had me fooled until we were up near the partners statue LOL!

The Halloween decorations and parades were just fantastic! The US parks could really learn something from Tokyo in that area.

The food options were great! SO much more variety than DL. I'm pregnant at the moment (first tri so it's safe to ride - I checked!) so when I want something I NEED to have it whereas other foods make me feel ill. I didn't go hungry at DL or DisneySea at all.

Speaking of DisneySea, we were really impressed. I feel like they still need a few more bigger attractions, but it's already a top-class park. We rode JTTCOTE four or five times, we just loved it. We only did TOT once because of the ridiculous queue, but we loved the disappearing idol illusion. Indy was lacking in something, but still fun. We liked 20 000 Leagues, loved the Mermaid show and had a fun - if wet - time on Aquatopia. Overall though we just loved the atmosphere and theming of DisneySea, we were really sad to leave it for the last time.

And one last thought - I loved the way you could buy popcorn buckets with straps! I loved not having to lug my bucket around with me! My pg tummy wouldn't give anything except sea-salt flavour a go though. Curry? No thanks!!!!
    Next trip September 2013

Past trips:
    May 2010 TDL and DisneySea
    September 2006 TDL and DisneySea

Dec 2005 DL
    June 2003 DL
    Dec 2002 WDW
    April 2002 DLP
    Dec 2001 DL
    Nov 2000 WDW
    Oct 2000 DL
    Oct 1997 WDW
    April 1994 DL

• Banned User

Re: Our thoughts on Tokyo Disneyland

Mellywil,
    I am happy to read about your wonderful time and positive impressions from TDR. You have mentioned several items that I do comment about TDR on a regular basis, so I am not surprised about your reactions. Thanks for taking the time to post.

We (my husband and I) were at TDL and DisneySea from Sept 11 to Sept 14. We were very impressed!
    Not a surprise here. I have been visiting since 1989 and to this day, it still impresses me lots.

Disneyland was much like the others in design and concept (understandably) but it all seemed so much cleaner and fresher.
    Cleanliness is almost their gold seal of excellence. No other Disney resort tops TDR on this issue.

Pooh was amazing!
    Yes it is. Ear to ear smiles all the way thru. Imagine the gridlock if DL had not cheapened out and placed this ride next to Splash Mt...

The Halloween decorations and parades were just fantastic! The US parks could really learn something from Tokyo in that area.
    Indeed!!! Especially WDW. Lucky for us, DL is getting some of that TDL halloween magic installed for the season. It's a great thing!!!

The food options were great! SO much more variety than DL.
    Another item I have commented many times... with variety that I feel puts EPCOT's glorified restaurants and Food Fest in a lower plateau.

Speaking of DisneySea, we were really impressed.
    TDS is Disney's biggest accomplishment in theme and atmospheres, so of course you would be impressed. No surprises there. See how it rocked TDR_Fan's senses!! I have been visiting since it first opened and to this day, I still see things I didn't see/find before all over.

Overall though we just loved the atmosphere and theming of DisneySea, we were really sad to leave it for the last time.
    I always come out of TDS with a little lump in my throat... it's just too phenomenal for words. Saying goodbye, even when you know you will be back in a few weeks, is tough.

I loved the way you could buy popcorn buckets with straps!
    For everyone's benefit, the TDR popcorn buckets may be purchased with or without the strap, and they are one of the most popular collector items among TDR fanatics!! You should see my popcorn bucket collection which is nearing 50 of them so far, and growing with every special event,opening or anniversary that passes as time goes on...

All in all THANKS for posting your trip report and hope you can take DH to WDW, HKDL and DLP sometime soon!! (and be back to TDR in 2008 for TDL's 25th anniversary!!! )

• Minion

Re: Our thoughts on Tokyo Disneyland

Thanks for posting your trip report! And yes like TDLFAN said, I *LOVE* Tokyo DisneySea! No surprises there since I'm a guy who appreciates beauty and details, something that is executed to the max in Tokyo DisneySea. And yes like you said, both Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea are spotlessly clean.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~