Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Most upscale restaurant in the Tokyo Disney Resort?

As you all know, I'm planning to return to Tokyo in July again. However...this time I am going to take time to plan everything out several months before, unlike this time where reservations for the hotel/restaurants were made two weeks before. I'm already planning to book a Superior Room in the Hotel MiraCosta (Harbor View), but wanted to reserve a VERY elegant restaurant. Now I can probably only afford to eat there once, so my question is this:

What is the most upscale/elegant restaurant in ALL of the Tokyo Disney Resort? I don't really care so much about the actual food, but about the atmosphere and theming. So basically, I'm looking for the most EXPENSIVE restaurant. I have a list of potential selections and if you can help me choose the best one, I would be very grateful. I've heard many glowing reviews about Magellan's and reports of it being the best Disney restaurant ever. How does it compare to the restaurants in the Hotel MiraCosta in terms of atmosphere/food? And sadly, I can only afford to reserve one of the few below:

- Magellan's
    - S.S. Columbia Dining Room
    - Oceano
    - Silk Road Garden
    - BellaVista Lounge
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Re: Most upscale restaurant in the Tokyo Disney Resort?

Magellan's, and request the Wine Cellar room...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Magellan's, and request the Wine Cellar room...
    Is that the secret dining room hidden behind a sliding bookcase? To tell you the truth, I've never even peeked inside Magellan's before. Any comparisons to the other restaurants on the list above?

• Sea Creature

Gee, what is going on with your boss? All these trips, Miracosta everytime, lucky you. Have fun.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    Gee, what is going on with your boss? All these trips, Miracosta everytime, lucky you. Have fun.
    Thanks. Any tips/advice relating to this thread?

• Sea Creature

Well I'd say they are all on equal footing on atmosphere. I have only eaten at the S.S. Columbia dining room of the restaurants listed. So I would say it comes down to the food. Magellan's is upscale, escargot, lobster, etc. S.S. Columbia is elegant with beef and veal entrees and such. Then of course Silk Road is Chinese and I've actually never seen a menu for Bellavista Lounge. I would choose Magellan's and request the Wine Cellar room, I want to eat in there someday.

• Minion

Well I'd say they are all on equal footing on atmosphere. I have only eaten at the S.S. Columbia dining room of the restaurants listed. So I would say it comes down to the food. Magellan's is upscale, escargot, lobster, etc. S.S. Columbia is elegant with beef and veal entrees and such. Then of course Silk Road is Chinese and I've actually never seen a menu for Bellavista Lounge. I would choose Magellan's and request the Wine Cellar room, I want to eat in there someday.

You know....I've never really seen any pictures of Magellan's, nor have I seen it in person before. Are there two floors of seating and what does it look like inside? Are there any visually pleasing elements to look at inside Magellan's that can keep a person busy (like the mural in Silk Road Garden), or is Magellan's just famous for its food?
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 09-29-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo

• Main Street Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    A- Magellan's
    - S.S. Columbia Dining Room
    - Oceano
    - Silk Road Garden
    - BellaVista Lounge
    During my stay last year I ate at Magellan's once and had breakfast at the BellaVista Lounge and I must admit i found the atmosphere of the Bella Vista Lounge much more intriguing and Disney than Magellan's. If Bella Vista Lounge has a dinner menu, I would definetely choose it. And, speaking of food, Magellan's offered quite small nouvelle cuisine portions, (compared to the Disneyland Paris restaurants average portions at least) and quite good (not bad of course, but not even that special)... now let the wrath of TDLFAN hit me!
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Sea Creature

You know....I've never really seen any pictures of Magellan's, nor have I seen it in person before. Are there two floors of seating and what does it look like inside? Are there any visually pleasing elements to look at inside Magellan's that can keep a person busy (like the mural in Silk Road Garden), or is Magellan's just famous for its food?
    Seriously?? I always just pop my head in and look at it, it's so beautiful.
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...magellans.html
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...magellans.html (the link in the lower right hand corner shows you some entrees)
    It has that big, globe in the center, very pretty. Although I've watched lots of tv specials that my friends tape for me in Japan and the wine cellar room is a nice private room away from the noisy restaurant atmosphere.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by massimo View Post
    speaking of food, Magellan's offered quite small nouvelle cuisine portions, (compared to the Disneyland Paris restaurants average portions at least) and quite good (not bad of course, but not even that special)... now let the wrath of TDLFAN hit me!
    But isn't that the norm in most Japanese restaurants compared to Western Portion sizes?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by massimo View Post
    During my stay last year I ate at Magellan's once and had breakfast at the BellaVista Lounge and I must admit i found the atmosphere of the Bella Vista Lounge much more intriguing and Disney than Magellan's. If Bella Vista Lounge has a dinner menu, I would definetely choose it. And, speaking of food, Magellan's offered quite small nouvelle cuisine portions, (compared to the Disneyland Paris restaurants average portions at least) and quite good (not bad of course, but not even that special)... now let the wrath of TDLFAN hit me!
    I ate dinner once at the BellaVista Lounge and wasn't really that impressed by the food. Their pasta and soup were good though....
    In my opinion. the best thing about the BellaVista Lounge is the wonderful view you get of Mediterranean Harbor. Aside from that, there wasn't really any theming except the grapevines painted on the ceiling.

• Minion

Seriously?? I always just pop my head in and look at it, it's so beautiful.
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...magellans.html
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...magellans.html (the link in the lower right hand corner shows you some entrees)
    It has that big, globe in the center, very pretty. Although I've watched lots of tv specials that my friends tape for me in Japan and the wine cellar room is a nice private room away from the noisy restaurant atmosphere.
    Are there any other decorations besides the globe? Like are there any paintings, murals, etc? In one of the pictures, I think I saw a staircase too if I'm not mistaken.

• Sea Creature

Are there any other decorations besides the globe? Like are there any paintings, murals, etc? In one of the pictures, I think I saw a staircase too if I'm not mistaken.
    Well I've never eaten in there, I don't remember the exact details since I just take a step in and look around. There are some pictures and it's got really pretty carpet and railings, really I just look in there for a few seconds. If you want something that's really elegant, you might like the S.S. Columbia dining room. It's really classy. The tables are kind of banquet style and there is piano player, very nice.

• Minion

Well I've never eaten in there, I don't remember the exact details since I just take a step in and look around. There are some pictures and it's got really pretty carpet and railings, really I just look in there for a few seconds. If you want something that's really elegant, you might like the S.S. Columbia dining room. It's really classy. The tables are kind of banquet style and there is piano player, very nice.

Where exactly can you view Magellan's from without actually dining. There was always a host at the entrance and I always assumed that she would seat you as soon as you approached the restaurant. I would love to dine at the S.S. Columbia Dining Room too, but it doesn't look quite as classy as Magellan's from the pictures I've seen. I would dine in both if possible, but they are both very expensive.

• Minion

I guess there IS something to look at besides the giant globe:

According to the source, this is a picture of the mural painted on the ceiling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast