Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    219

    Why Tokyo Disneyland?

    Why is Tokyo Disneyland your favorite, TDL FAN?

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940
    Sorry I was late here. In fact, this is the first time i see this post. Many other people online have asked me the same question you have asked.... Just recently, on another site, a fellow poster asked me the same things and asked me to rank the parks from 1 to 10. He could not understand why I would place TDL at tthe top when DLP is a prettier park, DL is the original and WDW is so freaking huge and have lush wooded areas...

    I am pasting the answer I gave him here, and emphasizing that this is only MY VERY OWN PERSONAL OPINION on this, as this is just a matter of personal preference and taste, so please keep that in your head as you read. You'd be surprised how many people get offended on a personal level by my opinions on this subject.
    Here was my answer to the other person which I feel applies here as well...

    >>>DL is DL. It's a special park, so where TDL falters, DL makes up for it..and vice-versa, therefore I never compare DL in the picture because I place it somewhere as high as TDL on my list, in many respects. Unlike you who prefer architectural theming overall, my primary interest in the parks is 1) cleanliness & efficiency, 2) Availability of Live entertainment and special events, 3) Atmosphere and theming. In that order. Currently, TDR delivers those three elements consistently, with DL park furiously matching TDR's efforts with their new 50th celebration offerings and their renewed interest in maintenance.

    Now...park for park ranking in order of personal predilection??

    Easy:
    1)TDL
    2)DL (very very close to TDL IMHO)
    3)TDS
    4)DLP
    5)MK
    6)EC
    7)DAK
    8)MGM
    9)DCA
    10)WDSP

    Check back again after HKDL has opened.

    >>But to me (TDL) does not "look" better than DL or DLP<<

    Agreed. TDL suffers from being way too similar to the MK's classic look, but at least, the agressive maintenance at TDL is what elevates it one notch above DLP and DL. Those two parks are much prettier than TDL hands down, but have been allowed to look shabby and don't look as immaculately clean as TDL does, especially DLP. TDL has never looked bad since I started visiting regularly in 1989, reason why I place it highly above all other DL parks. Then the MK is at the bottom end of the spectrum... major work is needed in regards to maintenance, efficiency and other issues too numerous to comment on here.

    That is my overall impression and honest opinion about the parks. Everyone is entitled to disagree of course, but three decades of Disney Parks worldwide have brought me to those conclusions, reason why I hardly wager on my observations<<<

    That was my answer to another poster. I too must update this to explain that the crew at DL have done a MGANIFICENT JOB restoring DL's glorious look for the 50th anniversary and they deserve lots of praise for a job well done!!

    Any other questions?

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    219
    I see, okay, interesting interesting.

    For me, Live shows and entertainment are totally unimportant. Cleanliness etc. are important but they should ALL be immaculate.

    Atmosphere and Themeing is my number one, and for that reason, DLP and the MK are my two favorites. DLP is just GORGEOUS. I'm so in love with DLP. However, I also love the MK for several reasons, including:

    A) It's in the U.S.

    B) It sits on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon..I LOVE that. I love the whole Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake area.

    C) You can approach it by ferry boat across the lagoon; how romantic and "magical"

    D) From a conceptual standpoint, I LOVE the fact that the hub at the MK is an island, and that in order to enter each of the themed lands, you must cross over a bridge over water.

    E) Related to "D", I love how at the MK the lands are so well divided and clearly delineated from each other, making each land distinct (this goes for DLP as well) unlike Disneyland in California, where everything is just smashed up against each other and there is no clear dividng line between lands in almost every case.

    F) I love the size of the park.

    I agree with you though that where one park falters, another picks up in it's place.

    P.S. I am just DYING to get myself over to Tokyo DisneySea!

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940
    You have spelled out many many wonderful attributes about WDW's MK that even I (with all the commando experience I have at all Disney Parks can't not disagree with) But I try to evaluate my parks from "within". I do not take in concideration how to arrive there or the scenic beauty that happens to surround them. Once I am *inside* the parks, the globes do come off and all parks are back to square #1. That is how I view them.

    Now mind you..what others do not seem to understand about my point of view is... that I highly rate the architectural theming and atmospheres of the parks quite highly as it is quite important to me and also is the hallmark that separates Disney parks from the rest of the industry. But when you have a gorgeous park like DLP looking a bit run down and a little too dirty, the magic goes out the window for me. Concerning TDL, it may not be the best looking park there is cosmetically, and it's very expansive design robs it from the charm that can be found at DL. But at least the attention to cleanliness and the freshly painted look of the building, the polished look of the walkways, and the simplicity of the gardens with beautyful clear water pond cutting thru...(to name a few of the little things..) is what puts it over the top above the rest. ..and like Walt said.."it takes people" and the TDL CMs are the very best I have encountered at any Disney park, continually exceeding my expectation with their professionalism, as opposed to their peers at WDW, and to some degree at DLP. DLR cms are also great and have had many wonderful encounters with them while at the parks.

    It is safe for me to say that TDR and DLR are the 2 resorts that most follow Walt's legacy in regards to the magic that required of Disney parks.

  5. #5

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,873
    it'll be interesting to see what you have to say after Hong Kong Disneyland TDL fan

    is it just me or are the theming and art of DL and DLP the highest of the MK's though?

    I mean DLP has the benifit of being the newest but DL seems to be the one that constantly gets reinovations moreso then any other Magic Kingdom

    I mean WDW hasn't really done anything except for their new Tomorrowland

    I'm wondering if Hong Kong Disneyland will be anymore artistic or not I mean I'm sure they have alot more new things to try with theming and they could do many of them now but then there's those signs that they're trying to do less (I wouldn't mind the small castle it fits the scale of the park but they didn't give it an origional design and they arn't placing anything inside it :\)

    I think it'd be really exciting if TDL ever went with a reinnovation plan to bring TDL up to the higher standards of theming (though TDS seems to be up there with detail everywere o_o) but it doesn't seem like they're interested

    TDL has neither fantasyland nore tomorrowland remakes and I'm wondering if they'll consider a new space mountain at all really

    then again TDL does have the holiday layover program

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider

    I mean WDW hasn't really done anything except for their new Tomorrowland
    Because the themeing in the MK at WDW was superior to DL from day one.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940
    >>>is it just me or are the theming and art of DL and DLP the highest of the MK's though?<<<

    Yes, you are correct. It's not you. That is a fact.

    >>>I mean DLP has the benifit of being the newest but DL seems to be the one that constantly gets reinovations moreso then any other Magic Kingdom<<<

    Yes, as it should be since it is the oldest DL. However, TDL does have a very strict maintenance schedule which makes it looks like they opened their doors for the first time yesterday.

    >>>I mean WDW hasn't really done anything except for their new Tomorrowland<<<

    Which is a terribly half-baked and mismatched metallic mess. I can't stand the look of WDW's Tomorrowland. Looks like a robot threw up all over.

    >>>TDL has neither fantasyland nore tomorrowland remakes and I'm wondering if they'll consider a new space mountain at all really<<<

    Well...yes and no. Both TDL's fantasyland and tomorrowland still have the classic look from opening day, however... everything else that has been added since then (Tl's Star Tours, Pan Galactic Pizza complex; or Fl's Hunnu Hunt/shop, Queen of Hearts Banquet, new Tea cups) have a very unique upgraded look not found at DL or MK and more comparable to DLP's style. Also in regards to TDL's FL...they have many more gardens and taller trees than sterile looking FL at the MK, so this area is even more appealing cosmetically. I also agree that TDL's TL could use a remodeling..as long as they do it right and not botch it like they did to the semi-incomplete MK's TL.

    >>>I think it'd be really exciting if TDL ever went with a reinnovation plan to bring TDL up to the higher standards of theming<<<

    Personally, I like TDL as it is because it reminds me of the classic MK park I used to love so much, with yet the right amount of uniqueness to it.

    >>>though TDS seems to be up there with detail everywere<<<

    TDS is the most lavish looking of all Disney Parks in design and 2nd to NONE! on Earth in that regards.

    >>>I'm wondering if Hong Kong Disneyland will be anymore artistic ...<<<

    My opinion on this is that HKDL *must* deliver some type of upgraded look to make up for the lack of attrcations and it's puny size. The artwork I have seen at the HKDL preview is simply superb, but it also retains the classic look of the old DL. However, I have a hard time believing that some extra effort won't go into HKDL given how much they learned in designing TDS. Not sure though if the same imagineers who created TDS are at work here with HKDL. Budgets can be such a B**** sometimes, and that is HKDL's biggest curse right now. The only thing that can save HKDL right now are the whimsical touches... Added visuals as the Character Whale Fountain at the front of the park, or Musical Pentagram fences around the Philharmagic Theater can add a certains sparkle of fun to an otherwise short-changed park. I get the feeling that once the doors open in HK, we are going to see a pretty nice looking park, with whimsical gardens and little touches here and there, and some interesting artwork all over. But the thrills will be few. Hopefully, the park's looks, the CMs dedication to Disney standards, the live entertainment and food and shopping experiences will be enough to carry HKDL thru the first couple of years. I am also hoping Disney will be interested enough to add some special events to the lineup at HKDL to keep the masses, and locals, interested in the park. After all...if I was from Hong Kong...I would be bursting in pride to have Disney in my backyard.

    We can only hope for the best, and as usual...I will hold offering an opinion on HKDL until I get to see it for myself. Only then, will I be able to be fair and objective.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN

    Which is a terribly half-baked and mismatched metallic mess. I can't stand the look of WDW's Tomorrowland. Looks like a robot threw up all over.
    I disagree, MK's Tomorrowland was always better than DL's, when it first opened and after the remake. It certainly was a lot better than DL's 1998 Tomorrowland.

    MK's Fantasland was about equal to DL's until DL remodeled in 1983. MK's Fantasyland is sub par now, I will say that without hesitation, except for the castle, which is superior. They need to remodel MK's Fantasyland to be like DL's/DLP's.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940
    I agree wholeheartedly about MK's Fantasyland. It needs to be brought up to DL's and DLP's standards.

    As for Tomorrowland...the new look of it at DL was not all that wonderful but at least, the new look was applied all over the entire Tomorrowland. At WDW, the metallic look goes back as far as the Rocket Jets, then it's back to the same old Classic look for Space Mt, the Racetrack, and even surrounding buildings where shops and Tomorrowland Terrace are located. The project was aborted before it was finished, and it looks awful to me. We can argue this to the bank, but that is the reason why I feel this way about. If you like it better...hey! That's great.

  10. #10

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,873
    I'm going to side with those who like WDW's tomorrowland I suppose

    I thought both the redo's left severl spaces praticularly in the back undone

    Disneylands was more radical so the back got new paint which I suppose covered how little arcutecture was chagned

    I think WDW did mroe extreme changes to the front of tomorrowland and it did leave alot of the back undone but overall the front part of it looks very nice

    of course if the rumors are to be believed soon WDW's good tomorrowladn will be eaten by pixar right when DL's tomorrowland starts to actualy look decent again


    I really like enhancement projects myself I wish WDW would try more but they seem to have lost interest in them

    I really wouldn't mind seeing what a company that would put real money into things like TDL woudl do

    imagine TDL with WDS detail o_o it would own3z all the other magic kingdoms for detail in all liklyhood

  11. #11

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    >>>TDL has neither fantasyland nore tomorrowland remakes and I'm wondering if they'll consider a new space mountain at all really<<<

    Well...yes and no. Both TDL's fantasyland and tomorrowland still have the classic look from opening day, however... everything else that has been added since then (Tl's Star Tours, Pan Galactic Pizza complex; or Fl's Hunnu Hunt/shop, Queen of Hearts Banquet, new Tea cups) have a very unique upgraded look not found at DL or MK and more comparable to DLP's style.

    Actually, Tokyo Disneyland added a whole second story and remodeled a lot of Tomorrowland when Star Tours was added....

    Have you ever heard of SHOWBASE 2000 ? Meet the World?

    Tomorrowland was a lot different when TDL opened.

    And you haven't even mentioned how the Japanese wanted a CLONE of Magic Kingdom when TDL opened, they wanted the SAME castle as FL, and then they picked and choosed which designs they liked better from FL and CA when deciding on the look for Pirates and later Toon Town and so forth.

    Disneyland Paris was the first time the Walt Disney Company tried to design a NEW park on an old theme, and the result is stunning.

    My opinion is DL Paris comes in a close second in best Magic Kingdom, after Disneyland in Anaheim.

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer

    My opinion is DL Paris comes in a close second in best Magic Kingdom, after Disneyland in Anaheim.
    Actually I'd say DLP is number one, with MK in second place and DL in California number 3.

  13. #13

    • Former Epcot CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Travelling the world but home is the UK
    Posts
    4,865
    I don't like the massive open spaces at TDL, for example the hub. They actually intimidate me.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

    DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

    (VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS


  14. #14

    • Stop That!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Remaining Seated
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    I don't like the massive open spaces at TDL, for example the hub.
    I agree completely! Part of the reason DL's theming works so well is its intimacy. You are engulfed by it. At TDL, it's like you're walking down a 10-lane highway. Sure there's theming along the sides, but it's not so immersive when it's 100 feet away in every direction.

    What's worse is that the walkways are almost all uninterrupted swaths of a single, solid color. Not so bad when there are lots of people, but it just adds to the emptiness when there's not...

  15. #15

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Ok.. i think i get it

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    It is safe for me to say that TDR and DLR are the 2 resorts that most follow Walt's legacy in regards to the magic that required of Disney parks.
    I tend to disagree with that, (HM in Fantasyland right behind Dumbo?) in that the weakest areas in TDL are the transitions and that was something Walt was adamant about. However, I agree that of all the parks the SPIRIT of Disney lives there in the cast and the passion of that comes out in the way they take care of the place. They sincerely love Disney and it shows. There is a vibe there you cannot reproduce. I think DLP has the look and not the vibe, and WDW has the scope but is overblown and DL will always be the original with many layers on top of it. I see why TDLFAN feels the way he does.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Check out my Tokyo DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland videos!
    By Bad Wolf in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
  2. Is Tokyo Disneyland less fun?
    By euro disney stefan in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
  3. Anyone know anything about the new POC CD from Tokyo Disneyland???
    By princedalton in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
  4. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
  5. So What's next for Tokyo Disneyland?
    By WDWSageoftime in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •