Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• is satisfactual.

So I'm not the greatest expert on Japan, haha. I didn't mean that it's not working just because *I* can't see the Toriiism (<first ever word with three "i"s), but I wonder if other people see it. If they do, then it's working.

People on this board are very passionate about their parks, that's for sure.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    So I'm not the greatest expert on Japan, haha. I didn't mean that it's not working just because *I* can't see the Toriiism (<first ever word with three "i"s), but I wonder if other people see it. If they do, then it's working.

People on this board are very passionate about their parks, that's for sure.
    Yes, they are. Even I am, although as we saw in the "partners" statue thread, not even to the level some others can get, but...as far as the TDL font goes, I don't think the average parkgoer sees it either, but that doesn't matter. All that matters is that that is the TDL unique logo and CM's and park goers wanted it to stay. I agree with them.

• Banned User

I have always thought the TDL font is quite elegant in it's simplicity and I am glad it is still here today. Likewise I thought the classic WDW was fun and inviting instead of generic-looking in regards to the rest of the WDCo.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    I'm not talking about the scent of detergents that surely looms in ever corner
    Again, there you go making silly assumptions about something you don't know anything about. I don't mean to be disrespectful but comments like that one do take away from making your point credibly. The truth is, I have never smelled anything remotely 'detergent-like' at TDR, anywhere. Everytime I am out and about at the park, I most often get assaulted by the many scents of caramel, cappucino and honey popcorn, or cinammon churros! Not to mention the candy scented atmosphere of the Confectionary Shop, and perfume scents that permiate from several gift shops in the New orleans area.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Again, there you go making silly assumptions about something you don't know anything about. I don't mean to be disrespectful but comments like that one do take away from making your point credibly. The truth is, I have never smelled anything remotely 'detergent-like' at TDR, anywhere. Everytime I am out and about at the park, I most often get assaulted by the many scents of caramel, cappucino and honey popcorn, or cinammon churros! Not to mention the candy scented atmosphere of the Confectionary Shop, and perfume scents that permiate from several gift shops in the New orleans area.
    I think he was just being facetious, TDLFAN.

• is satisfactual.

Um, yes, I was kidding about that detergent bit. It was in fact meant to express a positive side of TDL: it's cleanliness. But I'll try to be really direct and layer-less in my remarks from now on.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    WOW! I wonder when Chris took that photo. There is usually a line to get into the Coffeehouse and I see no one there. Plus, notice how nice the cms look and how well staffed the entrance is! Doesn't TDL look nice and clean???
    Eh, it looks decent, although the gridwork of the cover above isn't quite so pretty.

I wonder why they went with that? The roof at Universal in Osaka is so much prettier.

• Banned User

Agree!!!^^^^

Re: What was wrong with Main Street?

deleted
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 12-29-2005 at 06:02 AM.

The only logotype I like for The Magic Kingdoms is the timeless calligraphy; I don't like anything else.

The larger resort destinations can have other designs, but Walt Disney's signature is not really appropriate. Stylized variations that incorporate the calligraphy would work much better.

Incidentally, World Bazaar does disturb me. I would like to see Oriental Land Co. and W.D.I. re-imagine it in some way so that the effect is clearer and more convincing. World Bazaar currently lacks meaning.

I also wonder if it is possible to obtain some sort of legal waiver so that Tokyo Disneyland can have a full-fledged Disneyland Railroad. The D.R.R. is such an important feature of The Magic Kingdoms that Tokyo Disneyland really suffers from the absence of the attraction.

Suffer from what, PragmaticIdealist? It seems to be doing pretty well with the railroad like that for 20-plus years.

A grand circle tour is needed to tie the entire experience together. It's a storytelling thing that Tokyo Disneyland just doesn't have.

I agree that Tokyo is missing that part of the storytelling experience. However, it makes up for it in other areas. Since the railroad is for the Western Rivers, the current version suits the area well, though.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm also glad that Tokyo Disneyland has not changed it's logo yet. The thing is, they also have a resort-wide logo that incorporates both parks...like WDW does. I like that each park has it's distinct logo in tact though.

To me, the thing about using the "Walt" font, is that it's now too commonplace. You've got it on everything "Disney", and it's overused. So, now that Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland all use that font, it just makes them further homoginized. I'm glad that Disneyland went back to the old gothic font. I would not mind if each park had it's own lettering, like they used to. The old WDW logo doesn't bother me either, and doesn't scream "retro" to me all that much.

As for World Bazaar, yeah, it was originally intended to be much like World Showcase at Epcot. The renderings all have it looking very modern too, and VERY 70's! Once OLC put their foot down and said they wanted it to look like Main Street, the name had already stuck. So, it's not really all that "worldly" now, but that's OLC's doing, not WDI's. Oh, and the glass covering may look bad, but it's supposed to be Victorian, and look like the Grand Palais at the Paris Exhibition in 1900. Yeah, a more modern, less obvious covering like Universal Japan would be nice, but it would not be in keeping with the Victorian theme.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi
    I'm also glad that Tokyo Disneyland has not changed it's logo yet.
    Actually, the TDL logo did change briefly to the Walt font a few years ago but that lasted only about a year. I still have souvenirs of the park sporting the Walt font on them. Didn't seem to have gone well... so they decided to switch back to the original font but with a new castle logo to go with it as oppsed to the big mickey face in circle within a D, which was the original TDL logo for many years.

As for World Bazaar's canopy... it doesn't photograph all that well but it sure is unique and quite cosmetically pleasant in real life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123