Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Those videos are great! I haven't been to the DL Pooh ride..yet but hopefully they can send a copy of that to DL if what I'm hearing is true about the quality of DL's version.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Winniepooh: Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, I haven't ridden the California version....my one visit there was a short, crowded day so I was unable to ride.

• Vehicle rotating backward

While I like that jazz version of Heffalumps & Woozles, I kind of wish they had went with the original song. Although I'm sure the other Guests are grateful that with a lyric-less song, they don't have to put up with me singing along. "Beware! Beware! Be a very wary bear!"

I learned that they supposedly have air jets that blow around to make it feel windy, although I didn't get that confirmed. I dream of taking a good friend of mine on this ride. Since childhood, he's been afraid of Pooh and the blustury day in particular. It's weird and yet devilishly amusing to see a grown man freak out at the sight of an orange bear. Since I learned about these jets, well.. You know... The cruel side in me comes out.

edit to say: Love the little English gag about "The End" there in that ride video.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 01-27-2005 at 05:38 AM.

• Quality Assured

From what I hear, or seen from www.themeparkreview.com, the new "Pooh" technology is being used on Aquatopia as well. Who knows, maybe the Flying Saucers coming to WDW will also implement this new, amazing technolgy.

• Banned User

TDL's Hunny Hunt is simply the most amazing Fantasyland dark ride ever built at a Disneyland Park. The way the technology combines with the set's animation, lighting, EFX, and all things thrown in just because, creates a truly wonderful sensory assault. At opening time (as someone stated) the lines were on average 4-5 hrs long with lines to get FP tobe around 60-90 mins long, then about 30 minutes once inside the FP queue. Now, Buzz's Astroblasters (a decent C-Ticket by OLC standards) has taken away a bit of the punch from Hunny Hunt, but you can still find 2 hr+ standby lines on busy days at TDL.

No matter how long the wait is..(and I waited 4 hrs on it's opening day before FP were in use at Hunny Hunt) The attraction is so worth it. A TDL "must ride at all cost".

I agree that the technology for Pooh's Hunny Hunt is amazing, but I was disappointed at how quickly the amazement dissipates after you leave the first--albeit incredible--room. After you leave that room, there's really not much to look forward to. To me, Pooh's more exciting for the potential it exposes rather than the ride itself.

In terms of most amazing ride ever, I still probably have to give it to Universal's Amazing Spider-Man--a ride that starts incredibly and gets better during its long duration; a ride where I literally could not believe what I was seeing.
    Last edited by gmaletic; 02-08-2005 at 03:02 PM.

It's true that the same GPS systems are used on both Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Aquatopia. That's the only similarity. Aquatopia is a dreadful, boring ride that would only be of interest to children 4 and under.
    Pooh's Hunny Hunt, on the other hand, is a remarkable ride (and for $100 million bucks it ought to be!). There is no problem getting on this ride. When the gate opens (and what no one on this thread has told you is that you should be there at least 30 minutes before park opening to get on line in front of a turnstile) you walk directly to Pooh and get a Fastpass. There will be no line for that. Then you immediately go to the Standby Line where you will wait 15 to 25 minutes.
    You can then ride all other rides will little or no waits within the first two hours the park is open. After that, you get Fastpasses and ride the attractions with little or no wait times.
    This is EXACTLY the same strategy that you would use at any Disney Park around the world and Tokyo is no different.
    Going to Tokyo DisneySea is another story. The Japanese don't care about DisneySea and lines are non-existant once you reach the afternoon. The Japanese feel the same way about DisneySea that the French feel about Walt Disney Studios and Californians feel about California Adventure. There are people in the parks (they are never empty), but there are no long waits for any attraction except in the middle of the day.
    Last edited by Lizzard; 02-09-2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: grammer

That's quite the opposite I've heard about TDS. All reports I've heard are healthy crowds and attdence numbers above projections.

• Banned User

Correct^^^

>>The Japanese feel the same way about DisneySea that the French feel about Walt Disney Studios and Californians feel about California Adventure. There are people in the parks (they are never empty), but there are no long waits for any attraction except in the middle of the day.<<

The situation is that TDS has lots of rides and shows with a LOT OF CAPACITY and can gobble up crowds quickly, unlike DCA or WDSP.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Pooh was actually an adaptation of the Aquatopia technology. The Japanese do not want to pioneer new technology and want something WDI has already done that works. At first the ride was supposed to use it directly, but as development ensued, the realization was that you could not use the system indoors with sets, etc. So the tech design evolved into the control system you have today. Believe it or not, it is not GPS based.

PHH has been credited by OLC (in annual report) as the reason their attendance turned around in late 2000 and gave them one of the best attendance increase years in their history. It is kind of remarkable that the ride is still the most popular attraction after 4 years! There was great concern that TDS would cannibalize attendance from TDL when it opened and PHH and Queen of Hearts Restaurant were put in to stem the exodus. Just the opposite happened and they were thrilled. It has beaten all expectations and the Pooh (at the exit) shop was expanded just last year. Usually the merchandise wears off, but that store has beat the Emporium on per square foot sales. Most have never heard this, but the "Hunny" flavored popcorn (that also has a line of it's own) started a craze toward honey flavored products in tokyo. I read this in the Japan times.

It is shocking to me that a ride system that redefines the medium of dark rides would not be in some form in a Disney owned park. The ride cost way less than 100 million. I read here that Monsters Inc. was being batted around. Anyone know?

The wait can fluxuate and is not as bad as years ago. I rode it several times one day and noticed the fast passes would run out by 11:30 or so on a fairly busy day.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

I always heard the opposite. it cost over 100 million. I read that the lame-o American Poohs cost around 30-40 each, so that figure, especially considering what rides/buildings over there cost.

Not trying to be argumentative, but how could Pooh be developed from Aquatopia? Pooh opened first.

• Magical Memories fanzine

If the tracking technology isnt GPS based, then how exactly does it work? I am having a hard time beleiving those kinds of intricate movements could be anything but sattelite tracking.

• Santa Barbara, CA

To answer your questions...

The confusion may have come from the fact that it looks like it's worth that much. The reality was that there was a larger figure that included lots of things for that fiscal year. Pooh's line item was well below the 100. That list included moving and rebuilding the Tea Cups, building the Queen of Hearts Restaurant (and demoing the small world buffeteria) which is the most elaborate stand alone facility ever, and building a retail store (Bon Voyage) outside the park. Pooh came in above it's target but never topped 100 as I understand. The budget had to live within it's master figure.

You are right, the Aquatopia opened later but had it's core technology demonstrated much earlier. GPS is satellite based and not accurate enough to control the one inch tolerance a safe attraction requires. All I can say (without getting shot) is that there are more (and easier) ways of controlling trackless location than literally using GPS. [B]
    I know that sounds wierd..but you'll have to trust your demented cousin on that.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

>>It has beaten all expectations and the Pooh (at the exit) shop was expanded just last year<<

Sorry but that is not quite correct. I was there when the shop opened, have visited dozens of times since, and was there again on Valentine's Day (yesterday) and the shop is still the same size as it was on opening day.

• Santa Barbara, CA

What i meant was...

They removed "show areas" in the store to make room to expand the merchandise square footage, like Christopher Robin's bedroom. I should have been clearer. the footprint is still the same:-)

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast