Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Banned User

Re: What the heck is this?

Personally, I don't get bothered by so much of the backstage views from the TDR LIne monorail as I do seeing a lot of the backstage action at WDW which is rather ugly... For example.. As you pull into the Contemporary from the TTC... look down behind the convention center and you'll see a very filthy area that appears to be a laundry area.. Very unsightly. Likewise... a lot of greenery seems to be damaged from the monorail since the hurricanes and also because there seems to be an emphasis of cars being allowed to park in some grassy areas alongside the monorail route. This is most evident in between the Wedding Pavillion and the Polynesian Resort. Very unsightly area as well..
    At least, the backstage areas we see at TDR look clean and tidy for the most part. It's be nice if they covered them from view but they do look in good order, just like most of their parks.

• Minion

In my opinion, Tokyo DisneySea suffers from being able to see the outside world too much (although it's not nearly as bad as the same problem at DCA). I can't remember where, but I remember that I could see an ugly industrial wharf area beyond the park borders from one of the elevated areas of the park. I also dislike the fact that the Official Hotels are visible from Raging Spirits, as well as the bland and hideous parking lots. They need to do something about this problem, as it sort of ruins the immersion. Perhaps they should build a wall behind Lost River Delta to block out the Official Hotels. And finally, something needs to be done about the new non-TDR hotel located beside DisneySea's new parking lot. Looking at various pictures on DeepDisney, it is visible from too many places. From Ponte Vecchio to American Waterfront, it's just too prominent and disturbing for me to become fully immersed in that area of the park.

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Do those hideous speakers ever retract? They're worse than anything outside the park.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Do those hideous speakers ever retract? They're worse than anything outside the park.
    Well, the poles that support the speakers retract. They are raised from underground about an hour before a show in the Harbor begins and then lowered after the show ends. I have a picture of the underground space they are stored in.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Well, the poles that support the speakers retract. They are raised from underground about an hour before a show in the Harbor begins and then lowered after the show ends. I have a picture of the underground space they are stored in.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    And you would've never suspected that there were speakers right where you were just looking. An example would be the shack near the S.S. Columbia. The roof raises to expose the speakers and after they lower back down, it's just another piece of theming. Same with the piece of marble by the stairs going up to the roman ruins; there's a speaker hidden there too. It's just like Fantasmic at Disneyland. About 2 hours prior to the show, they raise the huge lighting structure system. It's very massive but you would've never known that it even existed until they started prepping for Fantasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    And you would've never suspected that there were speakers right where you were just looking. An example would be the shack near the S.S. Columbia. The roof raises to expose the speakers and after they lower back down, it's just another piece of theming. Same with the piece of marble by the stairs going up to the roman ruins; there's a speaker hidden there too. It's just like Fantasmic at Disneyland. About 2 hours prior to the show, they raise the huge lighting structure system. It's very massive but you would've never known that it even existed until they started prepping for Fantasmic!
    I think that they should wait to raise the speakers until the show actually begins. I feel the same way about the awful lighting towers for Fantasmic! and the stage lighting along the parade route at Disneyland.

• Minion

I think that they should wait to raise the speakers until the show actually begins. I feel the same way about the awful lighting towers for Fantasmic! and the stage lighting along the parade route at Disneyland.
    Well it probably takes some time to get everything up and ready before the show. Just raising the speakers doesn't ensure that they will work the instant you want them too.

• Sea Creature

Oh yuck, that's worse than I thought it was. Well I haven't been bothered by the extremely tiny views you get of the outside world at TDS. I just got back from DCA and there's just no comparison. Something must be done to hide that hotel though.

• Vehicle rotating backward

To be fair, TDRfan went around deepdisney trying to find photos which showed that hotel building. In most of the photos shown, if you were actually there your attention would be drawn to the buildings inside the park and the hotel building would be a blur from your field of vision.

It's not ideal, but it's not terrible and all Disney parks start out in the middle of nowhere but almost all of them have to deal with the rest of the world moving in eventually. I would rather that building be visible for the next two years and eventually be obstructed with something of quality than have it obstructed next month with a cheap tarp like they would use in the US.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I would rather that building be visible for the next two years and eventually be obstructed with something of quality than have it obstructed next month with a cheap tarp like they would use in the US.
    Sorry but my memory is failing me right now. When have the Disney parks ever used a tarp to block out the outside world?

• Banned User

As Joe explained, those speakers do retract and remain out of sight for most of the day at TDS. However, this issue is one of the things that bother me about HKDL's Main Street and Hub. Non-retractable speaker and lighting poles that look awful and block some vistas of otherwise great photo ops.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Sorry but my memory is failing me right now. When have the Disney parks ever used a tarp to block out the outside world?
    Such tactics weren't completely uncommon over time although since the berms at the original parks have grown they haven't done so.

I was thinking of those tarps with phony skylines on them they use at the US parks to rehab buildings. I'd rather they get around to building something that looks as detailed as the original structure than just put up a picture of a phony sky.

• Minion

If it's any consolation, the newly planted trees are sort of helping to cover that awful building. In a few months, you'll barely be able to see it at all.

Unfortunately, it is still quite visible from Ponte Vecchio

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345