Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TDL has lame fireworks?!

I've heard from several people that Tokyo Disneyland's fireworks shows are terrible (Compared to the States)...some compare it to the Fantasy of the Sky from the 60's...lol. Is this really true? Everything is amazing there, you'd think TDL would have something along the lines of "Remember" by now. Anyone know more? Thanks!

• Minion

Re: TDL has lame fireworks?!

While I don't think it's as terrible as everybody says, Disney Magic in the Sky certainly doesn't compare to Believe (either version), Wishes, or Remember...Dreams Come True. However, it is still enjoyable if you are not expecting as grand a spectacle as the fireworks shows at other Disney parks. Don't forget that Disney Magic in the Sky acts as a fireworks show for both Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea, though the latter already has a closing lagoon show.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• The Darkness to Light

Well, most of TDL fireworks shows that I've studied over the holiday (don't ask here, but if you must know why, PM me) lack the artistry and design like those in the state side Disney parks.

That being said, TDL does opt to actually use more exploding rockets than WDW which seems flare happy. They just love using flares of all kinds.

As far as their current offerrings go, it really all depends on who you compare their fireworks shows to. Compared to DLR's Remember, yes, TDL's fireworks are lame. Compared to Universal Studio's 360, TDL's fireworks are worlds better. Compared to WDW's Wishes, TDL could use better syncing with their music (and some would argure more nine-lines, whatever those are).

• Loves Mickey!

Because of their proximity to the city there is only so much they can do legally. During the New Year they get special permission to have a bigger fireworks show.

• Sea Creature

Yes, they're pretty lame, my local amusement park does better on the Fourth of July. TDL had some nice fireworks until TDS opened and they decided to do fireworks that were visible from both parks.

• Minion

I think what they need are two simultaneous fireworks show. One that is clearly for Tokyo DisneySea and one specifically for Tokyo Disneyland. It would capture the attention of guests in that particular park, so that they would not pay attention to the nearby fireworks display in the neighbouring park. Of course, this means that there will have to be two soundtracks and the launch sites will have to be moved. The best spot for Tokyo Disneyland would obviously be behind Cinderella Castle just like the fireworks shows at the other Magic Kingdoms. For Tokyo DisneySea, I guess the fireworks would have to be launched somewhere from Mysterious Island so that it would be visible to guests viewing from Mediterranean Harbor across the lagoon.

• The Darkness to Light

The volcano seems to be a good launch site. But, then again, TDS is very flare happy like their Orlando cousin seeing how they can only launch short-range fireworks over the harbor.

Come to think of it, I haven't ever seen a video of an actual fireworks show at TDS. They mostly do flare launches.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post

Come to think of it, I haven't ever seen a video of an actual fireworks show at TDS. They mostly do flare launches.
    They have the same show that TDL has. Same soundtrack same everything, you can see it in the sky from both parks. Those flare launches are in nighttime shows on the harbor.

• Former Epcot CM

I knew it was the same fireworks... but I thought each park had a seperate soundtrack.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I knew it was the same fireworks... but I thought each park had a seperate soundtrack.
    Oh, that could be. I'm not sure on that but they are the same fireworks.

• Minion

They used to have different soundtracks I believe, but it is now the same generic one used at Tokyo Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    That only happened during the first year after TDS opened. Afterwards, they went cheap and to this day.. we get the same exact show and music at both TDL and TDS.

Now... let me be the first one to admit that the fireworks show at TDR sucks. The sad part is.. back in the late 80's and early 90's, when DL and the MK were offering "Fantasy in the Sky", and DLP was featuring "Fantasia in the Sky", TDL was staging much better pyro productions with some innovative use of light, projections and lasers... in productions such as 1993's "Magic in the sky", 1997's"Starlight Fantasy" and a couple of other productions that included not only fireworks, but also search lights, laser beams, fireballs, castle projections and even castle shell launches, which I have never seen in the USA or Paris before. The shows at TDL could only be compared to EPCOT's Laserphonic Fantasy, which in itself, was the best pyro at Disney during those years. Then after the 15th anniversary... things took a turn for the worst with simply minded shows like the ones in the USA. In fact, for sometime there, TDL, MK and DL were offering "Fantasy in the Sky" fireworks with the same soundtrack, but only a different finale for TDL (no USA patriotic salute finale).
    Thingas have not improved since.

While DL got ahead of the pack with "Believe..." and the MK and DLP responded with their respective versions of "Wishes"... TDL continued to lag behind all these years. More embarrasing to me is to think that even HKDL's (no high altitute pyro) "Disney in the Stars" is a much better show than TDR's current show.

But don't be too hard ot TDR. They still have a much better line up of parades and live shows that is 2nd to NONE of the other parks, and that is their redeeming glory. But I would be biased if I didn't say, TDR's fireworks could be improved by tenfolds, and I hope they do for next year's 25th silver anniversary celebration.

• Minion

Which of those shows you mentioned was the one where the villains basically blew the castle up? That was probably the most fantastic example of the cool stuff in Tokyo Disney's older fireworks shows.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• The Darkness to Light

^Wha?! The Villians got away with "blowing up" the castle?!?! And I thought what they did with Stitch TPing the MK castle was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    But don't be too hard ot TDR. They still have a much better line up of parades and live shows that is 2nd to NONE of the other parks, and that is their redeeming glory. But I would be biased if I didn't say, TDR's fireworks could be improved by tenfolds, and I hope they do for next year's 25th silver anniversary celebration.
    Yeah, that's the cool thing about TDR. What they lack in pyrotechnics they make up for 10 fold in their live entertainment offering.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Which of those shows you mentioned was the one where the villains basically blew the castle up? That was probably the most fantastic example of the cool stuff in Tokyo Disney's older fireworks shows.
    Starlight Fantasy. But the villians had nothing to do with it.. The show was basically a change of season and somewhat the castle get's destroyed along the way. This was also the 2nd time in history that rubberheads were part of the fireworks show as Mickey and the gand come out on the castle stage to restore the castle back to it's pristine shape. This was also one of the first times that we saw the strobe lights programmed in a sequence that would match the action and lighting changes of the castle. Very innovative stuff back then from TDL's pyrotechnics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast