View Poll Results: Which of these attractions do you prefer the most?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- Tokyo DisneySea

17 42.50%
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- Magic Kingdom

7 17.50%
  • Submarine Voyage- Disneyland

16 40.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Yes but times have moved forward, and when all the effects are running Indy is a far more immersing experience. So is Journey.

If Imagineering is an art form, it will move on without Walt. People did not abandon painting after DaVinci just because nobody thought they could compete with that.
    Just so you know, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Indiana Jones Adventure are my favorite attractions in the world too. What would you rate Splash Mountain or Pooh's Hunny Hunt then since they are most definitely among the best Disney attractions too.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Just so you know, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Indiana Jones Adventure are my favorite attractions in the world too. What would you rate Splash Mountain or Pooh's Hunny Hunt then since they are most definitely among the best Disney attractions too.
    Oh bother. I forgot about Pooh. Once every ten years they open two big rides: a ride that's incredible for thrills and one ride that's a tech tour de force.

60s: Matterhorn (thrill) / Pirates (tech)
    70s: Space Mountain / Haunted Mansion
    80s: Star Tours / Journey Into Imagination
    90s: ToT / Indy
    00s: Journey / Pooh TDL
    (Mission:SPACE and Everest fans can appeal to the complaint bin, labeled "TRASH")

To me Splash Mountain is a bit of a cheap thrill because no matter which city I'm in all I see is a bunch of America Sings characters relocated (except when I'm in FL I'm noticing all the missing AAs and when I'm in Tokyo I'm too distracted by the Japanese speech.) It's always nice to see that Song of the South isn't completely disowned, but...

Pooh is that technical showpiece ride. How much you like it depends on how much you like the character. Of the technical showpiece rides, only one (Indy) is based on a movie license and aside from a few movie tie-ins like the snakes and the rolling ball, one would argue that you really don't need to know the character enjoy. I've only ever seen Last Crusade, myself. But the Pooh character and his stories are relived greatest hits style here, and if you aren't familiar with them you won't enjoy it as much (although supposedly if I knew Japanese there's a greater chance things are explained to me )

As far as importance goes, I'd put Pooh on the same level as Indy. They're both rides built around a new vehicle type and it also happens that the ride atmosphere itself is well themed. If all goes well we should someday see the technology used there in other parks and attractions, but there's a chance like Indy that it will only ever make another appearance if it can be used cheaply enough.

I like Indy more, but that's more because of the Pooh tie-in and my opinions.

• Minion

but there's a chance like Indy that it will only ever make another appearance if it can be used cheaply enough.
    Are you referring to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom because DisneySea's Indy cost more than Disneyland's Indy.

Inflation over time will do that.

Also, when I was talking about Journey/Indy, those are my two favorite E-rides. I consider them the peak thus far of Imagineering.

However, my all-time favorite attraction wasn't even a ticket: Carousel of Progress.

• Minion

Inflation over time will do that.

Also, when I was talking about Journey/Indy, those are my two favorite E-rides. I consider them the peak thus far of Imagineering.

However, my all-time favorite attraction wasn't even a ticket: Carousel of Progress.
    It was only built 6 years after Disneyland's Indy. And DisneySea's Indy still had a bigger budget to begin with because of the OLC. Compared to Disneyland's already staggering $100 million, DisneySea's version cost somewhere above $150 million. How do you feel about DisneySea's Indy anyways because personally, I like it better than Disneyland's version.

Dinosaur, on the other hand, was disappointing. That's why I asked if you were refering to it in your last post when you said that they would only build another ride using similar technology if it could be cheaply done.

• Banned User

Thanks for all the info, now I get how this ride works. 20k isn't really a sub judging by the ride vehicles which were much smaller than I expected and is a cube, like a mini sub.
    Last edited by FI183; 03-04-2007 at 02:25 PM.

• Banned User

When you qualify for old farts' discounts, come walk up to my headstone and say that.
    That won't be for another 12 yrs ar so. Will you be alive by then? If not, then let me know where your headstone will be so I can pay you a visit and say.. "You chicken".

It was only built 6 years after Disneyland's Indy. And DisneySea's Indy still had a bigger budget to begin with because of the OLC. Compared to Disneyland's already staggering $100 million, DisneySea's version cost somewhere above $150 million. How do you feel about DisneySea's Indy anyways because personally, I like it better than Disneyland's version.

Dinosaur, on the other hand, was disappointing. That's why I asked if you were refering to it in your last post when you said that they would only build another ride using similar technology if it could be cheaply done.
    Well, if that's the case, it probably has to do with the costs of constructing things in Japan because, honestly, I didn't see any differences that would really justify a $50 million price increase.

The DisneySea version had less painted day-glow walls which made it feel less Fantasyland, but the lack of soundtrack when entering the big room with the bridge really killed the OMG mood of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    That won't be for another 12 yrs ar so. Will you be alive by then? If not, then let me know where your headstone will be so I can pay you a visit and say.. "You chicken".
    Perhaps we can just put it on my headstone in the first place and you won't have to bother with your time?

Here Lies
    MICKEYMANIA
    "Chicken." ~TDLFAN

• Minion

Well, if that's the case, it probably has to do with the costs of constructing things in Japan because, honestly, I didn't see any differences that would really justify a $50 million price increase.

The DisneySea version had less painted day-glow walls which made it feel less Fantasyland, but the lack of soundtrack when entering the big room with the bridge really killed the OMG mood of it all.
    The music being cut off during the main chamber was my biggest complaint against DisneySea's Indy in addition to the lackluster film in the preshow. Aside from that, I really think it's the best version of Indy out there. I like that DisneySea's version is more elaborate compared to Disneyland's version.

And I can easily see how they spent an extra $50 million. The show building alone is huge and detailed, and they basically removed every painted flat in Disneyland's version and replaced it with fully carved sculptures. DisneySea's version also implemented newer and better special effects; the addition of the huge vortex in the main chamber and the fireball blowing idol in place of the rat room. The lasers in the main chamber are also much more pronounced and spread green electricity bolts everywhere they hit. The laser itself is also green and very cool compared to Disneyland's boring, white beams of light which only release smoke when they strike.

All that would cost about $15-$25 mil, about as much as a Space Mountain (pick one) renovation. $50 mil is half the cost of a whole new second E-ride anywhere else, I suspect a lot of money got eaten up in construction.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Well, I'd like to vote for the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit that was in Tomorrowland from '55 to '66 where Star Tours is now ...

...but then I'd be lying because I never actually saw that in person ...

I liked TDS's 20k a lot more the 2nd time I rode it. First time I was sorta disappointed for some unidentifiable reason.

Pretty cool stuff, but I see it as, like, a D-ticket, not an E.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    but I see it as, like, a D-ticket, not an E.
    A D-ticket, in my mind, is something like Rocket Rods or Maelstrom at Epcot. An E-ticket attraction, on the other hand, contains a well designed queue, an engaging storyline, and shows off what Disney does best. DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea fits all that. Too much work has been put into designing this attraction for me to be able to classify it as just a D-ticket.

I prefer the term, "lesser E-ticket" because while not up to the scale of Journey to the Center of the Earth or Indiana Jones Adventure, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is still most definitely an E-ticket attraction.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

A D-ticket, in my mind, is something like Rocket Rods or Maelstrom at Epcot. An E-ticket attraction, on the other hand, contains a well designed queue, an engaging storyline, and shows off what Disney does best. DisneySea's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea fits all that. Too much work has been put into designing this attraction for me to be able to classify it as just a D-ticket.

I prefer the term, "lesser E-ticket" because while not up to the scale of Journey to the Center of the Earth or Indiana Jones Adventure, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is still most definitely an E-ticket attraction.
    "lesser E-ticket" .... lol ... Alright, I'll go for that one!

So what would you consider, say, StormRider then?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    "lesser E-ticket" .... lol ... Alright, I'll go for that one!

So what would you consider, say, StormRider then?
    I classify all "motion simulator" attractions as E-tickets also, especially since Star Tours is considered an E-ticket. 3D theatre shows such as it's tough to be a bug, Mickey's PhilharMagic, or Honey, I Shrunk the Audience are D-ticket attractions for me. StormRider improves on Star Tours quite a bit technology-wise. That's why I classify StormRider as an E-ticket as well, but just barely. In my opinion, motion simulator attractions are the lowest class of E-tickets. I like StormRider better than Star Tours, but it is still just a motion simulator. Soarin', although not exactly a motion simulator, is another one of those rides that I consider the lowest class of E-tickets. It is very enjoyable, but just doesn't compare to the paramount E-tickets such as Indiana Jones Adventure, Journey to the Center of the Earth, or Tower of Terror.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234