View Poll Results: Which of these attractions do you prefer the most?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- Tokyo DisneySea

17 42.50%
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- Magic Kingdom

7 17.50%
  • Submarine Voyage- Disneyland

16 40.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I think this is one of the most underrated attractions at Tokyo DisneySea. To me, it's a full-blown E-ticket attraction that improves on many aspects of the original Submarine Voyage at Disneyland. Especially after they added an interactive element a few years ago for each guest to explore; the joystick controlled light. The special effects are amazing and the sets are extremely beautiful. Very detailed. I think the biggest criticism is that it's too short at only 5 minutes compared to the original 8.5 minutes, but I feel it makes up for it by condensing it into a more stimulating and impressive experience. It, along with Journey to the Center of the Earth, are one of the best Disney attractions ever in my opinion.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I've got fond memories of this attraction growing up and have been on all of them.I agree with TDR_FAN that the current attraction at TDS is the best.But with the years that have passed since the two original attractions were built plus all the advancements we've had in technology it should be too.

• Minion

I wonder how it will compare to the new Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, which will be using the projected screens technology found in the Living Seas Pavillion at Epcot. My only regret is that Disneyland's doesn't have a lovely and ornate queue like Tokyo DisneySea's to help pass the time. Most of your time in Disneyland will be spent out in the sun, in metal switchbacks with nothing to see.

• Banned User

I hear that the animatronic seagulls from Epcot that shout out mine mine mine will be seen from the queue.And that every time a sub goes pass it will set them off.So while we won't see such a amazing line like Tokyo Disney Seas has they is going to be some neat small things to look at.Also because both 20,000 Leagues and the Nemo attractions are totally differn't I think its kind of wrong if we compare the two.

• Minion

Good point. They do both use completely different technology, and the only thing they really share are similar show scenes. But anybody riding DisneySea's version will definitely see an improvement over the original in that the sets look much prettier. I guess this is because the show scenes take place in a dry environment versus underwater at Disneyland's.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I wasn't as impressed. It basically felt like Peter Pan's Flight in a closed cabin. If the tail end of the car in front of me didn't seem so close it might have been more believable but there's no way to suspend that feeling that you're being pulled along through a warehouse.

I never rode the WDW ride but only recently when I looked at overhead maps of before and after did I realize just how much landfill they made and never used. How terrible!

Someone (I think Sediment?) said that DL could have built a 20K TDS style ride in Tomorrowland instead of the Submarine Voyage for the same cost and not have to deal with the logistic and maintenance issues associated with those big old air tanks. I wouldn't have minded a Pixar Nemo adventure using these kinds of cabins but I'd have wanted WDI to plus the ride instead of just doing what they did in Tokyo.

I would say that Tokyo 20K is better than the old Sub ride, but I'm expecting the new sub ride to be even better still.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I wasn't as impressed. It basically felt like Peter Pan's Flight in a closed cabin. If the tail end of the car in front of me didn't seem so close it might have been more believable but there's no way to suspend that feeling that you're being pulled along through a warehouse.
    Well, there are other subs in the water along with your's. Besides, I don't think you ever see the track above pulling the vehicles. All you see are the propellers of the sub in front of you. While the vehicles move similarly to Peter Pan's Flight, the similarities end there. The sets of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea look much newer and colorful, plus there are many special effects that push this well above the standard Fantasyland dark ride. In my opinion, it's one of the star E-ticket attractions of Tokyo DisneySea.

• Minion

In the midst of things, I forgot to list one of the most important reasons why I love DisneySea's version over the original versions; the orchestral musical score! It gives me chills just listening to it right now! And I can't remember if the old versions had sound effects or not, but DisneySea's had very realistic creaks and groans to simulate the high water pressure. The interior of the Victorian themed subs are amazingly detailed, with gauges adorned on the brass and copper surfaces. For me, the rich fittings and furnishing of DisneySea's subs are another big improvement over the original versions.

Even though I think the theming is fantastic, I`m not a big fan of this ride

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hawachan View Post
    Even though I think the theming is fantastic, I`m not a big fan of this ride
    That's perfectly fine. We all have our likes and dislikes; personally, I am not a big fan of Space Mountain.

• Banned User

One thing the TDS version has over the originals is its views.The original allowed you to look out of a window viewing everything at eye level.The TDS takes you directly into the middle of each scene and shows of a far more convincing efect

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    One thing the TDS version has over the originals is its views.The original allowed you to look out of a window viewing everything at eye level.The TDS takes you directly into the middle of each scene and shows of a far more convincing efect

Plus DisneySea's version has Mysterious Island to act as its starting point, which actually resembles Vulcania since it has Mount Prometheus unlike the lagoon at the Magic Kingdom. Since Mysterious Island is entirely theme to Jules Verne, it fits the attraction much better than Tomorrowland or Fantasyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Put up some pics for comparison's sake please.

• Minion

That's hard considering they prohibit any kind of flash photography.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Arent' there some "official" pictures?

And Fishbulb has pictures of Soarin over California in his trip report from last weekend, so I guess some people take pics anyways or without their flash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast