Finished booking rooms--getting excited

I've finished my hotel bookings--five nights Shinagawa, one night Hiroshima, three nights at the fabulous Mira Costa where we can see Mount Prometheus from our window. Yay! I think it's finally really hitting me that I'm going back!

Those of you that don't live in Japan, how do you decide how to split your time between Japan and Disney? We feel like our time is torn--not quite enough time for sightseeing and not quite enough time for Disney. I'd like to do an all-Disney trip sometime, but when you travel so far, you feel like you really can't skip Japan.

• World Traveler

Re: Finished booking rooms--getting excited

Sounds like a great itinerary! Be sure to bring back lots of pictures for us.

• Loves Mickey!

It is hard isn't it? Believe it or not the first time I went to Japan I did not visit TDL (at the time there was no TDS)! There is so much to see and do that it may be a good idea to make a list of things you are interested in doing outside of TDR seperated by what you absolutely want to see and try and what is not so important.

I think planning helps but you are going to have no matter what, ykwim? So tell us what you are excited about! What is the first thing you are going to do when you arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I've finished my hotel bookings--five nights Shinagawa, one night Hiroshima, three nights at the fabulous Mira Costa where we can see Mount Prometheus from our window. Yay! I think it's finally really hitting me that I'm going back!

Those of you that don't live in Japan, how do you decide how to split your time between Japan and Disney? We feel like our time is torn--not quite enough time for sightseeing and not quite enough time for Disney. I'd like to do an all-Disney trip sometime, but when you travel so far, you feel like you really can't skip Japan.
    We were just in Japan last fall and felt like we didn't see enough during our trip so we are going back in April thanks to several things falling in place. We actually stayed in Shinagawa at the New Takanawa Prince Hotel on the first trip and loved the location so much that we are staying in Shinagawa again in April. This time we are staying at the regular Prince Hotel though since it is a little closer walk to the train station after a long day of shopping and walking. I really liked staying in Shinagawa due to its location and the fact that if I needed some American food I could eat at Outback Steakhouse, TGI Friday's or McDonald's. It took us about 35-40 minutes each day to get to Disney but on the other hand it was 15 minutes to Tokyo Station, 5 minutes to Shibuya and 10 to Harijuku.

On our trip we buy the four day park hopper, but only spend two full days in the park only. On the other two days we plan to do something else in the mornings and head over to the park mid-afternoon to enjoy the evening events. On our last trip we missed most of that because we were so tired by the time the sun went down.

It's very tough to pull ourselves away from Disney but at the same time its very tough to pull ourselves away from the rest of Tokyo. Tokyo is a fantastic city! Most non-disney days we try to divide the day up by which districts of the city we would most like to see. We normally limit it to two per day (morning and afternoon) and leave the evening open.

If time is limited, I would recommend that a vistor to Tokyo experience Shibuya (great shopping, lights and a fantastic Disney store), Harijuku (sp?) which has lots of fun shops and there are a couple of temples in the area and a day between the Imperial Gardens and Ginza.

This trip we are really looking forward to getting to Shinjuku which we missed last time due to a nasty migrane headache. We are also going to visit the Studio Ghibli museum and a day trip to Mount Fuji.

Wow.... that's long. In short, I agree. It's very difficult to split time between Disney and the rest of Tokyo. I can't imagine going to Tokyo and only seeing Disney or only seeing Tokyo with no Disney. The best advice I can give is to do like we are doing on this trip...ADD MORE DAYS IF POSSIBLE!

Have fun on your trip!

What a coincidence--we're staying at the New Takanawa Prince. We're staying at a Prince hotel in Hiroshima, too.

I'm not sure what we'll be doing around Tokyo--there's so much to choose from and I like just hanging out examining the shops. Heck, an average Japanese convenience store can keep me amused for hours. In Hiroshima, our itinerary is pretty defined: Peace Museum and Miyajima.

On our Disney days, we're determined to do nothing but Disney. Last time, I was only able to spend one day at DisneySea because, you know, we had to see shrines and big Buddhas and stuff.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

How exciting for you! The first time I went to Japan I stayed at the Toyko Prince Hotel and then Disney's Ambassador (it had just opened). Since there was only one park and I was visiting someone who lived in Japan, it wasn't difficult to split my time. My second time was mostly a Disney trip since I was visiting a friend and staying at EVillage. This past time I spent 4 days at Miracosta and then 3 days at a friend's apartment. We used the days when we were at Miracosta as "Disney" days, and the days at my friend's were "Japan" days.

The way I feel is as long as you're doing something fun you can't go wrong. If you go into Disney, it's going to be a great day. If you're going someplace other than Disney, you're going to have fun also. Can you tell I just love Japan? I think you'll have a wonderful time no matter what you do.

Enjoy the trip!

Quote Originally Posted by kustomboy View Post
    We actually stayed in Shinagawa at the New Takanawa Prince Hotel on the first trip and loved the location so much that we are staying in Shinagawa again in April.
    It just registered with me that you'll be in Shinagawa in April. We're there from April 11th until the 16th.

It just registered with me that you'll be in Shinagawa in April. We're there from April 11th until the 16th.
    Queenie, I'll be at TDR that weekend for Tokyo Disneyland's 24th anniversary. I'm excited for you too! LOL!

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Queenie, I'll be at TDR that weekend for Tokyo Disneyland's 24th anniversary. I'm excited for you too! LOL!

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    We're not hitting Disney until the 16th--after the weekend.

• Minion

You're all making me so excited. I'll begin planning my trip in June, for June 2008. I hope you'll post a thorough TR when you get back! Have a great time!

What a coincidence--we're staying at the New Takanawa Prince.
    We really enjoyed that hotel. The staff was great and most spoke enough English to be very helpful (especially at the front desk). We would have stayed there again but want to move a bit closer to the train station. That being said, the hotel isn't that far away from the train station so don't let my comments alarm you. The great thing about the hotel is the fact that the run a TDR video in the lobby.

We will be there the first week in April!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Hey will you all come back here and let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Hey will you all come back here and let us know how it goes
    I'll do better than that. I'm taking my laptop along, so I can report on how it's going while I'm actually there. Hope to post photos on Flickr, too.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Great can't wait

• Minion FOREVER!

Sounds great, Queenie!

I'm jealous... I'm going to Japan in August, but it looks like its going to be more work than pleasure
    (in fact, no time to go to TDL.... :-(

So... it'll be '08 before I can get there.... but I'm planning that to be a HKDL & TDL trip!!)

Have a great time!