Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Re: When was your first visit to TDR?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyoza Dog View Post
    I was just looking at the some of the figures on the OLC website (from a link in another thread) and realised that my first visit to Tokyo Disneyland must have been less than a year after it opened.

In 1984 I was age 8 and we stopovered in Tokyo on a flight from Sydney to London to visit relatives. My family spent a rainy windy day at Disneyland. There were barely any crowds. I remember getting off Space Mountain and just walking back on again and not having to share a car with anyone but my sister.

It was my first Disney Park and it made a deep impression. Though I've only visited it 3 times I've always regarded Tokyo as my local park and the standard by which I judge the others.
    I first visited TDS in September 2005, when I was in Japan for the Tokyo Game Show. I really had a nice time... When I go back to Japan, I will check out TDL.

• Banned User

You did NOT got to TDR???? Sacrilegious!!!

And Mikey... you got there the long way!!! You need to go WEST!!! Like the Village People.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You did NOT got to TDR???? Sacrilegious!!!
    Nope... When I got there, it just looked like the MK at WDW, which I have been to so many times, and since I only had one day there, I picked TDS, since it had stuff I had never seen before.

Last week! Just back from a trip with three of my students, and I had the time of my life. Thanks to everyone on this board for all their advice and help in making it such a great trip.

I was absolutely amazed by everything in both parks. Pooh's Honey Hunt is a must at TDL (why can't our Pooh rides in America be like this?), as well Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at TDS. So impressed by the ride technology used by all of those. Loved the theming of their new Tower of Terror too. Riding it with a group of young Japanese teenage girls screaming was a hoot. Be sure and ride the Western River Railroad in TDL's Adventureland too. Very different scenery since it doesn't cover the whole park.

The live shows in both parks were so well done, and I highly encourage you to catch as many of those as you can! I can't rave enough about the parade at TDL, as well as Braviseamo and Big Band Beat at TDS. And wouldn't Legend of Mythica make a perfect show one day for the imaginary Beastly Kingdom rumored for so long for Animal Kingdom?

Enjoyed trying lots of new foods too at both parks. The Crystal Palace at TDL is a good place to sample lots of different items too. Loved all the Mickey shaped buns and baked goods at many of their counter service restaurants. All of their "large" sized food portions and drinks seemed to be our "small". And there were no diet drinks or lowfat milk to be found anywhere that I could find.

If you have time, check out the Ambassador Hotel and Hotel Miracosta. Loved all the Mickey Mouse theming in the Ambassador, and glad to see their "Chef Mickeys" restaurant. We stayed at Hilton Tokyo Bay right nearby, and it was very nice. The theming of the monorails is amazing too.

Most of all I was blown away by the hospitality and friendliness of all the cast members. That's what I will remember most of all. They made me feel like the ultimate guest, and went to great lengths to help with any questions I had on anything.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hasn't happened yet. Hopefully someday... if I win the lotto.

Glad you had a good time MaconMouse. Great report.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Loves Mickey!

My first trip was right after TDS opened. It was absolutely amazing to me the amount of detail that was put into that park and the merchandise available at TDR as a whole not to mention the shows, the parades, Miracosta, everything! I had also just started seeing the guy who would be my future husband so whenever TDS celebrates it's anniversary so do we!

Quote Originally Posted by kustomboy View Post
    My first visit was last September. I was very hesitant to go in the first place but after getting to Japan all of my concerns were erased. A few things fell in line this winter and my wife and I are now heading back in April!
    I'm the wife, so September was our first trip and now our second trip will be in 6 days!!! I don't know if you can tell, but we LOVE Japan!!!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

MY first and only trip was at the end of June 1993. I snuck out for a couple of days during a business trip to Korea and Japan. Had to skip a second day at the park when I came home early because a crazy gunman shot up the law firm where I worked a killed several people. I didn't quite get to see it all.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Had to skip a second day at the park when I came home early because a crazy gunman shot up the law firm where I worked a killed several people.
    So, what did your peers do to cause such a reaction from this... client???
    Lawyers!! Them people are no ...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    MY first and only trip was at the end of June 1993. I snuck out for a couple of days during a business trip to Korea and Japan. Had to skip a second day at the park when I came home early because a crazy gunman shot up the law firm where I worked a killed several people. I didn't quite get to see it all.
    I remember that incident, San Francisco.

• On A Disney World Tour...

First visit was during my four-months stay in Tokyo in fall 2005. As we were staying in Tokyo, the initial plan was to go three separate days. One for each park and the third for some hopping ! We went to TDL first, got very disappointed then went back for TDS and got the TDS "OH MY GOSH" feeling ! So the third was TDS only as well We had an incredible weather
    TDS is the only Magic Kingdom alternative ever build by Disney ! Can't wait to go back for the ToT
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CheriBibi View Post
    We went to TDL first, got very disappointed
    May I ask why you were disappointed? because honestly, this park offers the same stuff mostly found at DL and the MK, but done better, in addition to the best character shows, events and parades ever. It's clean beyond belief and is the best staffed park of all. What's not to like? Only DLP does it better with a better themed park, but DLP is often time a very dirty park and filled with many smokers who do as they please and disrespect the smoking policies of the park.

TDS is the only Magic Kingdom alternative ever build by Disney ! Can't wait to go back for the ToT
    You CAN say that again! ..and again! ... and again!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    May I ask why you were disappointed? because honestly, this park offers the same stuff mostly found at DL and the MK, but done better, in addition to the best character shows, events and parades ever. It's clean beyond belief and is the best staffed park of all. What's not to like? Only DLP does it better with a better themed park, but DLP is often time a very dirty park and filled with many smokers who do as they please and disrespect the smoking policies of the park.

You CAN say that again! ..and again! ... and again!
    I agree that Tokyo Disneyland is one of, if not the best Magic Kingdoms when everything is taken into account. Perhaps they were disappointed because it didn't offer anything dramatically new compared to Disneyland Paris, which I'm guessing they frequently visit based on their location. I was still extremely impressed during my first visit to Tokyo Disneyland, even after having visited Disneyland, the Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland Paris. My overall experience there was unrivalled by that of any other Disney park, except Tokyo DisneySea.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

My first trip was in April 1997 when they were still building TDS. Wasn't too keen about going to TDL but fell in love with it almost the very moment I stepped in. It was like a fantasy land or fairytale come true. For some reason, I can feel a connection with it which seems to be missing with Disneyland California.

10 years on, in March 2007, I made my second trip and this time also TDS. The magic was still very much there though with a toddler in tow and a longer queue now I was not able to do much attractions at all. So, my mission now is a 3rd visit next year between February to April. Unless somehow something happens and I can make it to DLP next year since I missed out on it when I was in Paris the last round.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast