Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking the whole gang to Japan! (W/ a WDW RANT)

Anyway, I think I've finally persuaded my friends to go to Japan. They are all Disney fans who LOVED The Magic Kingdom in Disney World ... until last year.

(BACK STORY ALERT) It had been a while since we had been to Magic Kingdom. I decided to take them on a trip to Disneyland instead of staying a few days in WDW. They loved it and we're amazed by the charm of the place. It made everyone in the party eager to go back to WDW and make comparisons to see all the differences. Well, let me tell you, on our recent trip to the Magic Kingdom in FL, it made everyone in the party NEVER want to go back to the MK. Not because Disneyland has additional attractions, but because of the poor shape that nearly EVERY attraction was in and the corporate cookie cutter park the place has turned into. Going to Disneyland was like taking the red pill in the Matrix. It opens your eyes as to what's really going on. We weren't angry so much as just plane sad. We all grew up with this Magic Kingdom. It was our home. Now, it's a worn down, cartoon characters taking over Tomorrowland, Haunted Mansion falling apart, same parades for 10 years, Main Street shopping mall, Hey Howdy Hey with Woody Frontierland, Tiki Room insulting, Mickey's Star- Birth- Carni- Circu-Gym- whatever land they call it, unchanged Fantasyland since Abba last took stage, bird feces TTA, kind of place.

This recent trip to the MK was really sad for me. I remember being 12 watching SpectroMagic thinking "Wow, this place is perfect, I never want to leave." I would usually cry as I made my way out of the park because it was such a Magical Place. This last trip was a different kind of crying.

How could they have let the "crown jewel" of the Disney Company on the side of the road like that?! They can't possibly sit down and say "Let's come up with an attraction that will delight familles for years to come, that will keep them coming back to enter that magical world once more" and come out with the crap that is the Monster's Inc. show and Stitch. I think the reason attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Journey into Imagination, and Pirates of the Caribbean (before the movies) are so popular is that they are their own worlds that can only be entered in the park. The public wasn't smeared with it's merchandise all over the place such as Wal Mart.( Although, I would have loved to have seen some Horizons bed sheets. =) ) Seeing the new Pixar characters on the Disney Channel every 5 seconds can make one crazy....DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON WHAT'S BECOME OF THE DISNEY CHANNEL!!!!. =) I think they just push these characters too much it ends up doing more bad than good. Less is more, ya know? Do they really think this Monster's attraction will "pack 'em in"? I don't. I won't see it again.

I almost wish I never wen't to Disneyland. Now I have to take a 5 hour plane ride to go to the real Magic Kingdom. =)

(Thank you for reading my rant. =)

AT ANY RATE....

As I said IM planning on taking the same group to Tokyo. My question is, when is the best time to go to be most impressed and with that I mean the most festivities and such going on. I was thinking maybe going Christmas during the 25th anniversary getting a two for one deal. =) I really want it to be special for everyone. (Boy I can't imagine how much we'll hate WDW after this trip! lol) Thanks for any thoughts or advice! =)

• The Darkness to Light

Re: Taking the whole gang to Japan! (W/ a WDW RANT)

I don't know about best times, but I can give you a list a few rides that I'm sure will impress them.

My suggestion, however, is that if you are planning on going during their Christmas celebration, you might as well stay longer and check out their Countdown Parade offering for that year. It's one of their more unique offerings, and a one-of-a-kind attraction that has been known to blow our New Years Eve Firework Stingers out of the water. They litterally turn the park into a giant NYE party.

If you can't stay longer, then try to time it so you have that Christmas-NewYears overlay going for you. When that is for the park, I wouldn't know. I tend to think that after Christmas comes around, TDR quickly tears down/stops their holiday offerings and concentrates on the Countdown Party.

• Banned User

Beware... you may never see WDW in the same light after experiencing the magnificence that is TDR.

• The Darkness to Light

Well, that goes without saying given his position on the park after going to Disneyland.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Beware... you may never see WDW in the same light after experiencing the magnificence that is TDR.
    I'd also take some sunglasses as well. I believe the streets in Tokyo Disneyland are paved with gold.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

I completely and totally agree with that statement. TDR is amazing.

• Loves Mickey!

Christmas is the best time of year to go because they really go all out. Dh always says that Halloween is a close second though. No matter what you will have a wonderful time because all year there are fun seasonal events!

If you decide on New Years I really recomend you go with someone who has done it before who first hook you up with tickets because it is by lottery and second can come up with a good game plan because it can be very overwhelming once you get through the gates and people are running to get a good spot.

My first visit to Tokyo Disney was in 2004 and I have never been the same since. Money that I used to spend in WDW now goes in my Tokyo fund. I have returned in 2006 and I am going to 2008.

I envy you with your first visit to Tokyo, you will have the time of your life! But you will never be able to go to WDW or Disneyland California and enjoy it with comparing it to TDR.

Larry

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I'd also take some sunglasses as well. I believe the streets in Tokyo Disneyland are paved with gold.
    No, not gold. They are CLEAN and sparkling, as opposed to the walkways at WDW. Dirt does make a very bad difference.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post
    My first visit to Tokyo Disney was in 2004 and I have never been the same since. Money that I used to spend in WDW now goes in my Tokyo fund. I have returned in 2006 and I am going to 2008.

I envy you with your first visit to Tokyo, you will have the time of your life! But you will never be able to go to WDW or Disneyland California and enjoy it with comparing it to TDR.

Larry
    Hey Speedway.. are you reading these quotes from other posters here, and how come you have nothing to say about that???

• Former Epcot CM

Hey Speedway.. are you reading these quotes from other posters here, and how come you have nothing to say about that???
    Oh no, I quite agree with the other posters. I just enjoy winding you up.

I know perfectly well how cleaner Tokyo's paths are compared to Florida's. I just love your responses.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I know perfectly well how cleaner Tokyo's paths are compared to Florida's. I just love your responses.
    How could you agree? You can't know that because You have never been to TDR and possibly never will since you keep wasting your tooth fairy allowance on repeated visits to WDW.

• Former Epcot CM

How could you agree? You can't know that because You have never been to TDR and possibly never will since you keep wasting your tooth fairy allowance on repeated visits to WDW.
    Oh no my friend, mon parents pay for said trips to Florida. And I'm not going to put them off, because I enjoy my time there. I don't spend one penny on going to see Mickey.

And I'd love to visit Tokyo. Of course I would love to see how the Japanese do Disney first hand instead of viewing your wonderful trip reports among many others. They really do carry those Disney standards high don't they - you should know, I mean its all that you ever talk about, and its through your trip pictorials that I can see how beautiful the parks are kept.

I possibly never will be visiting TDR? Oh, I guess I'll just have to ignore the day trip to Tokyo Disneyland which is included in the trip to Japan I'm going on next year with my school... Maybe it's Nara Dreamland, since that's all my tooth fairy allowance can really afford. No, wait. That closed down.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Please. Tell me that's not you in pampers and a big sombrero (hat in spanish for the uninitiated) in a stroller... BTW... a set of parents who would only take me to WDW repeatedly instead of opening other Disney frontiers worldwide for my enjoyment would have TO GO! Like NOW!

• Former Epcot CM

Please. Tell me that's not you in pampers and a big sombrero (hat in spanish for the uninitiated) in a stroller...
    You know it is.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS