Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How easy would it be to go to TDR for someone who doesn't speak Japanese?

Do some of the frontline CMs there speak English or would it not be a big problem, not being able to understand each other's languages? Does TDR get a lot of non-Japanese speaking tourists?

I'm not going there any time soon... But I wish OLC would let us CMs get discounts.

• Shubisha

Re: How easy would it be to go to TDR for someone who doesn't speak Japanese?

very easy. english will be everywhere you go almost.

If the cast member you speak with doesn't understand you, they'll have one there in what seemed like seconds who does. I had no problems whatsoever in the Tokyo Disney Resort. (It was only when venturing out into different parts of the city that we sometimes had some problems.) The cast members at TDR went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me with any questions whatsoever that I had. They are incredible, and left a great impression on me. All the restaurant menus have English on them too so you won't have any trouble dining, and then you can always point at your choice.

You'll find more cast members who are very fluent in English in more of the frontline duties like ticket purchase and guest relations. But, most all of the ones in the parks know some English and will help you. Be aware they frown on all camera use in almost all their indoor rides and shows. As I approached one ride, a cast member started telling me nicely "please put in your pocket", and I wasn't sure what she meant until she pointed at my camera. I never saw anyone not following these instructions either like we often see in the U.S. parks.

It didn't appear to me like TDR gets too many non-Japanese guests. It seemed like I would go long periods of time before seeing other Americans sometimes in the parks, and that was a little awkward at first. But, all of the Japanese guests I met enjoyed striking up conversations and learning about America, or at least smiling and laughing along with me.

It's also good to know simple Japanese too for thank you, hello, excuse me, good night, etc. They all smiled when I "tried" to speak some Japanese with them. I'm sure with my Southern accent, I was quite interesting sounding.

Hope you get to go. It was a dream come true for me, and really totally changed my perspective of the Disney parks.
    Last edited by maconMouse; 03-21-2007 at 09:25 PM.

How hard is it to plan a trip to TDR? I would love to go but I get the feeling I better plan a trip with an expert given how expensive things can be in Japan. Is there a great website?.......in English?
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Minion

Very easy. I never had to speak one word of Japanese. It would be nice to learn the basics though so that you can greet/thank them properly in their own language.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    Do some of the frontline CMs there speak English or would it not be a big problem, not being able to understand each other's languages? Does TDR get a lot of non-Japanese speaking tourists?

I'm not going there any time soon... But I wish OLC would let us CMs get discounts.
    It's a hit or miss with CMs at TDR. Some speak decent english, while others do not at all. This shocks me especially when such CMs work in Guest Relations. Yet... they will always go out of their way to help you or find someone who speaks better english for your convenience.
    Go and enjoy without cares.

• World Traveler

We didn't really have a difficult time in Tokyo with the language barrier. We made ourselves understood. The signage is very good too

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan View Post
    How hard is it to plan a trip to TDR? I would love to go but I get the feeling I better plan a trip with an expert given how expensive things can be in Japan. Is there a great website?.......in English?
    Here ya go:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

And things are a lot less expensive in Japan than you might imagine.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by maconMouse View Post
    If the cast member you speak with doesn't understand you, they'll have one there in what seemed like seconds who does. I had no problems whatsoever in the Tokyo Disney Resort. (It was only when venturing out into different parts of the city that we sometimes had some problems.) The cast members at TDR went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me with any questions whatsoever that I had. They are incredible, and left a great impression on me. All the restaurant menus have English on them too so you won't have any trouble dining, and then you can always point at your choice.

You'll find more cast members who are very fluent in English in more of the frontline duties like ticket purchase and guest relations. But, most all of the ones in the parks know some English and will help you. Be aware they frown on all camera use in almost all their indoor rides and shows. As I approached one ride, a cast member started telling me nicely "please put in your pocket", and I wasn't sure what she meant until she pointed at my camera. I never saw anyone not following these instructions either like we often see in the U.S. parks.

It didn't appear to me like TDR gets too many non-Japanese guests. It seemed like I would go long periods of time before seeing other Americans sometimes in the parks, and that was a little awkward at first. But, all of the Japanese guests I met enjoyed striking up conversations and learning about America, or at least smiling and laughing along with me.

It's also good to know simple Japanese too for thank you, hello, excuse me, good night, etc. They all smiled when I "tried" to speak some Japanese with them. I'm sure with my Southern accent, I was quite interesting sounding.

Hope you get to go. It was a dream come true for me, and really totally changed my perspective of the Disney parks.
    You were told to put your camera away yet JoeInJapan must have some sort of special treatment :P

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I never had a single problem when it came to the languege barrier.The basic Japanese is easy to pick up and most Cast Members even through must don't speak it, all understand English.Not once did I need anyone to call another CM to deal with my assistance.If you have any serious problems while visiting the parks just go to guest relations where most of the fluent Cast Members seem to be.Also I got to meet a Cast Member at Tokyo Disneyland guest Relations who was smoking hot and spoke amazing English.OLC should employ more people like her.

Also never was told to remove my camera but was told to move along once or twice during the parades.My act of being the cluless tourist didn't work here.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

They allowed filming of "Tower of Terror" on the first two days of previews. When I tried a week later, they temporarily stopped the ride right before the first ascent and made an announcement that "all video and photos are prohibited." I felt foolish. Same thing happened to me on "Star Tours" about 10 years ago. They stopped the ride during the ice asteroid scene. Then, after I turned off my camera, started it back up from that point.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• The Darkness to Light

Wait, they actually stopped a ride to get you to stop recording? Wow, I wonder if anyone can report something like that happening to them at any other Disney Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    Here ya go:

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html

And things are a lot less expensive in Japan than you might imagine.

Thanks Queenie! I wish the website had the nifty travel service that WDW has. Just click, click, click and there is the price. The prices seem about the same as WDW so I just need good airfare. Cool!
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    They allowed filming of "Tower of Terror" on the first two days of previews. When I tried a week later, they temporarily stopped the ride right before the first ascent and made an announcement that "all video and photos are prohibited." I felt foolish. Same thing happened to me on "Star Tours" about 10 years ago. They stopped the ride during the ice asteroid scene. Then, after I turned off my camera, started it back up from that point.
    Wow what rebel behaviour by Joe here,didn't think you were the type.

I guess regarding TOT there didn't mind at the start until all the ride videos started to apear on sites like YouTube and Jtcent
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• The Darkness to Light

Well, how else are the poor, unfortunate souls that can't make a deal with the devil going to see it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast