Thread: Osaka

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Osaka

Has anyone here visited Osaka and can you tell me if its worth spending a few days here?

Im looking into visiting other parts of Japan in the future besides Tokyo and with Osaka being the home of Universal Studios I was wondering if it was worth a visit.Apart from Universal what else has this great city and its surounding area have to offer.

By the way I realise this hasn't really got much to do with the Tokyo Disney Resort,but if I were to post it in any other area of the forum it may result in many of the Japan experts not seeing it,thanks

• Minion

Re: Osaka

I was also looking into going to Universal Studios Japan during my trip. However, it's a 6+ hour round trip to Osaka on the bullet trains. That takes up a large portion of the day if you think about it. I'm looking into staying at a hotel near Universal Studios Japan, so that I don't have to go from Tokyo to Osaka and back all in one day.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

I agree with your point about the train journey time but for me it would be a waste,to travel all that distance and not check out the rest of Osaka.I've checked some flights and flying to Hong Kong than on to Osaka from London with Cathray Pacific is a lot cheaper than flying direct to Tokyo.However I'm just wondering if visiting Osaka for a long period would be worth it.All I really know about the place is that its the home of Universal Studios.

• Minion

The problem for me is that I have already booked a 5 night stay at the Hotel MiraCosta, so I may have to extend my visit by a day or two in order to visit Osaka. I'm not sure what hotels are near Universal Studios Japan, or how to book a stay there either.

• Banned User

This will be a good place to start TDR_Fan http://www.usj.co.jp/tandc/hotel/e_index.html

I believe you can make reservations online.Of course only down fall is that these hotels may fail in comparrison to what your usually use to from the Hotel MiraCosta

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    This will be a good place to start TDR_Fan http://www.usj.co.jp/tandc/hotel/e_index.html

I believe you can make reservations online.Of course only down fall is that these hotels may fail in comparrison to what your usually use to from the Hotel MiraCosta
    Thank you. I'm sure I can put up with a lower budget hotel for a night or two. The Hotel Universal Port looks the nicest, but the guest rooms look so tacky.

• Banned User

I'm sure it can't be that bad if Universal Studios are using it as one of its official hotels.Plenty of choices for hotels here around Osaka.

But I would so much apreciate more info on Osaka

• Minion

I'm sure it can't be that bad if Universal Studios are using it as one of its official hotels.Plenty of choices for hotels here around Osaka.

But I would so much apreciate more info on Osaka
    Here's a good link to a list of popular Osaka attractions. I still think the biggest draw is Universal Studios Japan because everyone says that it is the best Universal Studios out of the three. I know it's a close copy of the one in Orlando though, but much better maintained and containing more attractions.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...aka_Kinki.html

• Banned User

Nice find but found one even better. http://www.tourism.city.osaka.jp/en/...ons/index.html

Looks like a exciting city for sure and may be worth a vacation after all!

The aqurium with the two Whale Sharks looks great

Right I've got to get going as its 21.36 in UK and I'm supposed to be out down the pub.I'll check back later to see if there are any other reply's
    Last edited by Malin; 04-07-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Don't forget about Nagashima Spaland if you like coasters. It's not too far away if I remember correctly. (We never went into Osaka proper)

• Banned User

I hear areas such as Nara and Kyoto are also must see,and may be more worth visiting than Osaka.I think a guilded tour of Japan could be in order one where I forget about visiting the Disney parks and just concentrate on the other sights Japan has to offer.

• Banned User

This looks like a decent tour and will allow you to extend your visit to Japan.Seeing that it departs from Osaka, a extra night or two could be arrange to take in Universal Studios,Harbour cruise,Aquirium and Osaka Castle.

http://www.titanhitours.co.uk/holida...ary.asp?pc=JPN

• Sea Creature

I hear areas such as Nara and Kyoto are also must see,and may be more worth visiting than Osaka.
    YES! If you're into Japanese history than you must see Kyoto and Nara. If you've got the time to do it and it appeals to you do it.
    http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html
    This link will have some info.