Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

TDR's Tokyo Bay Maihama Hotel

Here is your first look inside TDR's newest Official Resort Hotel, the Maihama Hotel Tokyo Bay. Recently opened, this hotel appear to be a "moderate class" option to those hotels found in the southwestern perimeter of TDR, alongside Tokyo Bay.

The Maihama Hotel, features many amenities, like a wedding chappel, a TDR official gift shop, a sundry shop, restaurant, a huge atrium with glass ceiling, and simple but very tasteful japanese style decor. The hotel also offers Disney Cruiser service to nearby TDR monorail Line's Bayside Station, and many public and private busses stip at the hotel (such as the Airport Limosine busses, and even a public bus out front the hotel if you need to catch a ride to nearby areas of Urayasu, etc).

Again.. this hotel's aim appears to be simple minded and tasteful, like only the japanese can pull off. I would not mind staying here. I was not able to take photos from the rooms but taking a stroll thru a hallway, I was able to peek into a couple of rooms as I walked by and they looked like your average WDW moderate/economy room sizes, with lovely japanese style decor. But they are very much western style in comfort. (you won't have to squat to use the comode...althought they probably DO have japanese style rooms... but I do not know that for a fact)

Here are some photos.. enjoy the tour, and remember... the codeword here is "simplicity". Don't knock it because this is not meant to be the Miracosta.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/
    j/AlbumIndex?u=4334673&a=32506139&f=

And here is the hotel's site, and note, the english option did not work for me. It may not be operational or maybe was off line.

http://www.maihamahotel.jp/

• Minion

Re: TDR's Tokyo Bay Maihama Hotel

Very nice. I like how they used wood throughout the lobby; very relaxing, especially with the water fountains. Does the water flow off the walls because I can't quite tell from your pictures?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Yes. the water cascades down from the walls.

• The Darkness to Light

Very post-modern in design and minimalistic in features. Really opens the space up quite nicely, and the use of contemporary modular building is rather affective to give a very nice sense of intimacy.

Wow, where the heck did that come from?! I don't even know anyone in Interior Design at my school!!

• Banned User

You are gay my dear. That's all the qualification you need to talk "interior design".

Blog Entries

It's a beautiful hotel and one that I would have no problem relaxing in, however it just doesn't feel Disney to me. Maybe the japanese culture is just different, but I'm used to the themed feeling of the WDW hotels. Even our moderates have a theme to them as a beach club, or coronado springs. This just feels like a very nice convention hotel, or like the Hilton at DTD (although nicer).

I'm not trying to put the hotel down because it's beautiful, but why doesn't TDR focus on theming their hotels like we do over here? Is it just a lack of space issue or is there something else to it?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It's a beautiful hotel and one that I would have no problem relaxing in, however it just doesn't feel Disney to me.
    For the record.. this hotel is NOT owned, operated or designed by Disney or OLC. They are just merely designated "Official Resorts". They don't have to be themed or exuberant, like the Miracosta or Ambassador. This is a similar situation to that of the hotels at WDW's Hotel Plaza at Lake Buena Vista. Do any of those hotels scream Disney or feel Disney to you? No. I didn't think so....

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It's a beautiful hotel and one that I would have no problem relaxing in, however it just doesn't feel Disney to me. Maybe the japanese culture is just different, but I'm used to the themed feeling of the WDW hotels. Even our moderates have a theme to them as a beach club, or coronado springs. This just feels like a very nice convention hotel, or like the Hilton at DTD (although nicer).

I'm not trying to put the hotel down because it's beautiful, but why doesn't TDR focus on theming their hotels like we do over here? Is it just a lack of space issue or is there something else to it?
    It's not a Disney hotel, the OLC didn't make it. It is a TDR official hotel, kind of like the Good Neighbors hotel.
    At least I think I got it right, feel free to correct me anyone with more knowlege

EDIT: You beat me TDLFan, also thank you for the pictures
    Last edited by CowofDisney; 04-10-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Blog Entries

ah, that explains it then. I thought by calling it an official hotel that it was a Disney owned hotel. If it falls in the same class as the DTD hotels at WDW then it makes perfect sense and is a beautiful addition. It reminded me a lot of the Hilton at DTD just newer and nicer. So I withdraw any objections I had previously.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    For the record.. this hotel is NOT owned, operated or designed by Disney or OLC. They are just merely designated "Official Resorts". They don't have to be themed or exuberant, like the Miracosta or Ambassador. This is a similar situation to that of the hotels at WDW's Hotel Plaza at Lake Buena Vista. Do any of those hotels scream Disney or feel Disney to you? No. I didn't think so....
    Is that the same case with the Swan and Dolphin over in WDW?

Blog Entries

The Swan and Dolphin are a slightly different thing. But no, they're not operated by Disney. I think Westin operates them. I can't remember the whole story behind them, something to the effect that Disney owns them but leases them to a private company or something like that. It's a horrible legal issue on them and one that Eisner totally screwed up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CowofDisney
    It's not a Disney hotel, the OLC didn't make it. It is a TDR official hotel, kind of like the Good Neighbors hotel.
    At least I think I got it right, feel free to correct me anyone with more knowlege
    I just did before you. Good neighbor hotels are located off property or within a certain radio from the TDR. They are farther apart from the resort. Universal Japan has a similar agreement with nearby hotels in the Osaka area, with the 4 hotels on their site being the official hotels of USJ.

As for the Swan/Dolphin, the fact they are owned by Disney but leased out... is that why they are so horrible looking facilities?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for the Swan/Dolphin, the fact they are owned by Disney but leased out... is that why they are so horrible looking facilities?
    The Swan and Dolphin were built by the same architect who built Hotel New York at Disneyland Resort Paris. I have no problem with the two hotels except that both the Swan and Dolphin are very visible from Epcot's World Showcase and ruin any nice views you get when you look across the World Showcase Lagoon from the left side. Both hotels are gigantic (especially the Dolphin) and tower over the France Pavillion, dwarfing even the Eiffel Tower structure. I also hate the enormous Soarin' show building that dominates the skyline behind the Canada Pavillion because it's ugly and also very visible from many parts of World Showcase. Epcot doesn't have very good sightlines, as most of the Future World Pavillions are equally massive and visible from World Showcase; the Soarin' show building is by far the ugliest though.

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Sea Creature

Wow very nice. I will definitely consider staying here next time.

Blog Entries

They're horribly ugly because Michael Eisner hired Graves to design them who had never designed a hotel before. He tried to do some post modernism crap that just doesn't feel Disney at all. They may work in some other setting but they just feel so out of place within WDW. I will credit Eisner for one thing, the other alternative which Tishman wanted to put into place would have been two ugly towers which would have dominated the skyline. I think Eisner referred to their design as refrigerator boxes. So he fought a great deal to get his guy to design them.

Unfortunately his guy sucked at making Disney hotels. Several imagineers had given their own ideas of what should have gone here but Eisner was convinced that going with an outside guy was the best way to do it. So he got the same architect who built the TDA building which is also so non disney its not funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast