Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions welcome for my first trip

Hello. I came across Micechat looking for Tokyo disney stuff. I'm a major Disney nut and next month is me and my fiancee's first trip to Tokyo and we will spend a week at tokyo disney. We don't speak Japanese so what I'm looking for is any and all tips!

Seeing some of the videos and clips has me really excited, especially the Stitch makeover as Stitch is my fav.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Suggestions welcome for my first trip

Can I recomend first of reading all the trip reports that members from this very board have posted up in the past as each report will offer vaulable information.JoeInJpn has archived all the trips on his website including my own trip report from last year,in which I visited the Resort for the first time.
    http://www.jtcent.com/extras/reports.html

First tip is to not worry about the languege difference as most people do,all signs are in both English and Japanese,and you will find quite a few of the CastMembers at Disney can speak a little English to help you by.The main English speaking CastMember are to be found at Guest Relations.Another tip is to pass by here first thing in the morning to pick up a English park guide and ask any questions you may have.

Always arrive a hour before the gates open,and after opening go grab your first FastPass for the day.FastPass is a big thing in Japan and can often see all tickets running out by mid day.

Will be happy as I'm sure others will be to advise you more but would like to find out first a few more details,like where your staying,how many days you plan to spend at the parks and what your main interest are when visiting a Disney park.

Well we are staying at a hotel in Daiba for the week. Seven days is the plan and it's not so much a single attaction but DisneySea is high on the list since it has many things that are not in other places. I'm the type that takes in all the little details being a disney nut. I'm currently reading all the posts I can.

• Minion

I'm guessing that you are familiar with the other Disney resorts? I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to focus on Tokyo DisneySea for now. I'll post some helpful advice about Tokyo Disneyland a bit later (if somebody doesn't beat me to it ). Those who do not care for my praises of the Tokyo Disney Resort can skip this post. Okay, I warned you. It's going to be a long post about how amazing Tokyo DisneySea is.

Ready? Okay.

I can guarantee that you'll be blown away by Tokyo DisneySea, the most beautiful and elaborate theme park in the world. Personally, I would spend at least 3 days here. But that's just because I enjoy theming and tasteful architecture, both of which are executed to the highest level in Tokyo DisneySea.

At the risk of repeating myself, Tokyo DisneySea has the best atmosphere out of any of the Disney parks. One of my favorite activities is just strolling around the park and being awe struck by the unbelievable beauty and stunning theming in each port of call. My favorite place to take a walk is Mediterranean Harbor because it is extremely beautiful and immersive; the background music is sensational! The trompe l'oeil on the facade of the Hotel MiraCosta is breathtaking and a true masterpiece. Be sure to check out the interior of the Hotel MiraCosta as well; it's incredibly gorgeous and opulent, just like the rest of Tokyo DisneySea. Here's a sample picture of the kind of elegance and attention to detail you'll see throughout the whole park:

The attractions of Tokyo DisneySea are almost all unique to the park. Here's a list of the E-ticket attractions of the park, listed by their popularity. Each of the E-ticket attractions feature a magnificently themed queue that is practically an attraction in itself, especially Tower of Terror, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Indiana Jones Adventure.

1) Tower of Terror
    2) Journey to the Center of the Earth
    3) Indiana Jones Adventure
    4) Raging Spirits
    5) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    6) Mermaid Lagoon Theatre
    7) StormRider
    8) Sindbad's Storybook Voyage

And now the restaurants. Here's a list of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo DisneySea, ranked by their beauty and atmosphere.

1) Magellan's
    2) S.S. Columbia Dining Room
    3) The Teddy Roosevelt Lounge
    4) Ristorante di Canaletto
    5) Sailing Day Buffet

Don't miss the daily and nightly lagoon shows at Tokyo DisneySea either. The Legend of Mythica and BraviSEAmo are both fantastic productions that match the scale and scope of Tokyo DisneySea. My favorite spot to watch the lagoon shows is anywhere along the walkways in front of the Hotel MiraCosta, with Mount Prometheus in the background.

Tokyo DisneySea is Walt Disney Imagineering at its best, and I consider Tokyo DisneySea to be their ultimate accomplishment.

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

May I say that while Tokyo Disney Sea is a stunning park to look at with many great shows and attractions, it may not be worth the three days recomended by TDR_FAN.I think you should visited the place yourself on first day and Tokyo Disneyland on second than decide for yourself which park you will want to spend more time at during the rest of the week.Personally I wasn't to blown away with the park like some people are around here and it all comes down to personal taste,but thats not to say I didn't enjoy my time there and highly recomend you go and enjoy The Big Band Beat also.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    May I say that while Tokyo Disney Sea is a stunning park to look at with many great shows and attractions, it may not be worth the three days recomended by TDR_FAN.I think you should visited the place yourself on first day and Tokyo Disneyland on second than decide for yourself which park you will want to spend more time at during the rest of the week.Personally I wasn't to blown away with the park like some people are around here and it all comes down to personal taste,but thats not to say I didn't enjoy my time there and highly recomend you go and enjoy The Big Band Beat also.
    Well, he does have a whole week to spend at the resort. I think 3 days for Tokyo DisneySea and 4 days for Tokyo Disneyland or vice versa sounds like a balanced schedule. Last time, I spent 2 and a half days at Tokyo DisneySea and 1 day at Tokyo Disneyland. Also, he mentioned that he likes looking at the little details; reason why I think he will be blown away by the exceptional attention to detail in Tokyo DisneySea. I understand that not everyone enjoys theming to the same degree as me, but generally people are amazed by the outstanding theming of Tokyo DisneySea.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Oh theming is big for me (one reason I just don't feel the same at other parks) so DisneySea really looks like something I want to really spend time with.

How are the crowds? MY girlfriend said there is some sort of festival around when we are going so we should avoid then.

• Banned User

They is always some kind of event going on at the park,so I wouldn't worry too much.At the moment its the Spring Carnival.Crowds will be heavy,but at Tokyo Disney Seas things shouldn't be to bad as its less visited to Tokyo Disneyland.Will you be spending the entire week at the parks or will you be visiting sites around Tokyo too.

Now for resturants, seeing that your with your fiancee will you be planning any special meals together,and are you both alright with eating Japanese food.

i have just got back (last week) from my first trip to Tokyo Disney, and like you i am a huge Disney Fan. the crowds were large but i was there for 4 nights (3 1/2 days) and was able to get everything done (except some small kiddie rides) don't miss the legend of Mythica lagoon show in the DisneySea i was blown away by this and the music was amazing. i also had no real problems about not speaking japenese whilst i was at the parks.

Oh and enjoy yourself.

• Peeps :Do

Tokyo DisneySea is VERY PRETTY! :-)

AS WE GO ON, WE REMEMBER

all the [ t i m e s ] we had together . && as
    our lives change, from // whatever. we will
    still be - - - - >> friends forever

• Sea Creature

Here's a post I wrote earlier for a similar question.
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/index_e.html I'm guessing that you've been here, look around it and get a feel for what it's like.
    As for hotels, this page will be of great assistance: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...wto/05_01.html Pick hotels from there, they all have their own web pages as well.
    It will indeed be pretty cold in January/February, coldest time of the year so bundle up. Some must see things that often get missed are:
    • Mermaid Lagoon Theater-great show especially after an exhausting day.
    • Fortress Explorations-Spend at least a few minutes looking around, it's quite glorious.
    • Mickey Mouse Revue-it's not too special but this is the only place you can see it
    • TDL Splash Mountain has some significant differences, don't miss out on them.
    • There are lots of cute shows at TDL. You can't really see them all but do what you can, you'll get a schedule with your park guide
    • You must see DisneySea's Lagoon Shows (Mythica and BraviSEAmo!) as well as Mystic Rhythms and Big Band Beat.
    As for dining, I would just do what your budget allows. Most every restaurant has a sufficient amount of theme. You'll enjoy all of them.

Even if you don't eat at these places, you need to see them, just peek.
    • Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall
    • Magellan's
    • Vulcania
    • S.S. Columbia Dinining Room
    I guess you can disregard that hotel information. As for English, you should be just fine. Many cast members speak English and in some cases, they will go running to find a cast member who speaks better English. English translations are on every sign and English maps are available at the gate.
    Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 04-18-2007 at 01:57 PM.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by ankcdisney View Post
    Hello. I came across Micechat looking for Tokyo disney stuff. I'm a major Disney nut and next month is me and my fiancee's first trip to Tokyo and we will spend a week at tokyo disney. We don't speak Japanese so what I'm looking for is any and all tips!

Seeing some of the videos and clips has me really excited, especially the Stitch makeover as Stitch is my fav.
    Awesome... TDS (Tokyo Disney Sea) is an amazing park and should not be missed. The rides there are some of the best.

I was in your shoes. I dont really speak japanese, although I can read enough of it to get by... When I tried to get on Raging Spirits the very nice CM, who only spoke very broken english was trying to tell me that because of my size I might not be able to ride (I am big, but not that big...lol) anyway, he called over an english speaking CM who walked me to the front of the line, had me get in the car, test the restraint and when it worked, I was cleared to ride. After the ride ended, and I got back to the station, he was still waiting for me to ask how I enjoyed it. I thought that was great. So yes, even though you dont speak the language, they will help you out as best they can.

If you have any free time, you should take a train ride to Tokyo and check out the sights.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

• Banned User

I'm a major Disney nut and next month is me and my fiancee's first trip to Tokyo and we will spend a week at tokyo disney.
    Get ready to rocked by one of Disney's best resort experiences around. You may never see the other Disney Resorts the same way ever again... that is the downfall of going to TDR, but it's totally worth it. No need to be concerned about tips... the place will be familiar and you will instintively know what to do. Just take your time and enjoy.. and try to see EVERYTHING! Every ride, every show, every shop and at least take a look in every restaurant.. especially at TDS. You will be blown away by the level of detail which is UNmatched by any of the other Disney resorts on Earth. Don't worry about not speaking japanese.. NOT a problem there. Most CMs will help if you need help and some will tackle English just fine.

I think the most important thing to remember is NOT to be lazy and get there early BEFORE the parks open.. I recommend you arrive 45 mins early before park opening and stake a place in line to enter. You will be stunned by the amount of people behind you in line to enter the park, and once the parks are opened, this is the most chaotic moment of the whole day...so the closer you are to the turnstyles, the better. Once inside, go to the FP of your choice... TOT for TDS, Hunny Hunt for TDL are the preferred ones. The earlier you get a FP, the better your chances are to play the system the rest of the day, and the more you will be able to enjoy using FP. The japanese fans are quite savy about this and use the system to their advantage... so play along, or else, you will be stuck in the longest stand by lines of any Disney park on Earth, and that ain't pretty.

Must do!: EVERYTHING at TDS (be prepared to take a million photos)
    Must do! at TDL: Splash Mt and Hunny Hunt, then all of the E-tickets. Do some C-tickets for their maintenance and see how they sparkle compared to their counter parts at WDW. Do ALL the parades, day and night. Do most of the shows...One Man's Dream and Minnie O Minnie are favorites of mine. Take time to sample some of the park's unique restaurants and snacks. Play the "Count the Custodials" game.. Stop in one spot and take a 360 look around you counting how many custodials you see in one sweeping look around you. Then go to WDW's MK and do the same. You will be flabbergasted by the difference in number of custodial CMs.

Most importantly... HAVE A BLAST!! Oh! one more thing.. ride the monorails so you can see how the WDW monorails' operation pales in comparison.

As for Daiba... hotels there are nice. I stayed at the Nikko. Across from that area is an entertainment/shopping complex called Venus Fort. It resembles the Forum Shoppes at Vegas' ceasar palace. They have a huge ferris wheel and other exhibits.. and things to do. The Asahi TV building is there as well and you can take a free tour of the building. To get from your hotel to TDR.. take their Partner Hotel bus to the resort or...take the train from Tokyo Teleport Station near the hotels, to Shin-Kiba, then connect at Shin-Kiba to the JR line to Maihama Station, where TDR is located. The trip will take about 35 mins each way.
    To get to Tokyo city, take the elevated tram from the station in front of the Nikko hotel and you will be in the Shiodome area, close to Ginza in about 25 mins. Once there, you can walk to Ginza and Imperial Palace, or connect to other trains and subways to just about anywhere in Tokyo or the rest of Japan.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-19-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Amazing advice. It just so happens that it is Nikko that we are staying at. Amy found a really good deal there.

Ok, food. I'm a foodie at heart so does anyone have any favorites? I haven't found a whole lot on possible menus.

• Banned User

Amazing advice. It just so happens that it is Nikko that we are staying at. Amy found a really good deal there.

Ok, food. I'm a foodie at heart so does anyone have any favorites? I haven't found a whole lot on possible menus.
    The Nikko is lovely. It has a great glass window in the lobby, which overlooks towards downtown Tokyo and the Rainbow Bridge nearby. It is connected to AquaCity, a cute shopping mall with the Sega Arcade amusement center, which is basically the same idea Disney stole for it's now dead Disney Quest parks.

As for food in Tokyo... Hmmm, depends what you are into. In case all fails, there is a McDonald's close to the Nikko as well... But you will find just about anything to eat in Tokyo... Indian, italian, mediterranean..etc etc.
    Same for TDR. Inside TDL, you can find most everything from burgers to japanese cuisine to many other treats. Over at TDS... it's even a better deal... you will find fabulous resturants selling mexican, italian, american dishes, deli-style stuff, chinese ..etc etc... My favorite places there to eat are Zambini Bros, and Casbah Food Court, where they sell this great Curry Sampler dish... At TDL... you must try the Queen of Hearts banquet Hall, Grandma Sarah's, and have a Mickey-shaped Hamburger and Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Also, in the middle of Adventureland, they have a restaurant that serves noode dishes and other asian sryle food, and the place has really good food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast