Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Concern for the Events

I've started to notice a trend where it comes to the Tokyo parks and there special events.The Christmas event was a mixture of entertainment use from previous years and cheap offerings like the Castle greeting and the dressing up of Disney Dreams on the parade floats.Also while we've seen some new stuff at Tokyo Disney Seas,like the Season of Heart and Spring Carnival there are not exactly in same league as Dramatic Disney Sea was.

Re: Concern for the Events

Based on only the videos I can see what you are saying. I don't think it will be as easy to keep pulling back on entertainment (as they do in the states) just because the public in Japan is so used to the spectacular events. The recent offerings may seem as a transition to some, awaiting bigger spectacles next year. I don't think it will EVER be as bad as WDW. That's just pathetic. "Let's have the same daytime parade for 7 years!"
    I hope the 25th of TDL will put some faith back in peoples hearts and I hope it will top the 15th! (doubtful)

Correct. It's all a matter of repeating what has been popular (Cinderellabration, Lilo & Stitch, etc.) or using some of the same formulaic shows (Season of Heart = Meet and Smile + audience participation). Much of it is due to Entertainment budget concerns (TDS losing a lot of cash) and already appropriating money for future plans (TDL's 25th Anniversary). If you noticed, this past year's Christmas events were pretty darn dull compared to other years. TDL had no castle show, pretty good Christmas show. TDS had no stage show and Christmas adaptations of current stage shows.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

My only concern is if people don't point out the changes and are just as happy to sit through the Meet & Smile style shows its going to send the wrong message to OLC.One of the big problems with WDW is that people don't speak out against the cutbacks and when there do Disney don't care to listen anyway!

I'm willing to give Tokyo Disney Resort the benefit of the doubt here as it did spend millions on TDS 5th Anniversary last year and will no doubt top that figure with the upcoming 25th Anniversary of TDL.But than again with last years record attendance figures and with the warmer weather thanks to global warming this year should be another good year,so is it really the time to be cutting back on its entertainment.This is something I'm going to be watching closely from now on.

Joe you talked about TDS loosing money,is this another situation like Disney's California Adventure where the flagship park has to make enough money to keep the Resort from actually loosing money.

• Banned User

I have been disappointed about OLC's decisions in regards to the entertainment for special events, and I can understand why they are saving money by repeating some of the stuff they already have in the stock room. However, even when they are repeating, I would hardly call these events and shows CHEAP. Go see them, then compare with the fare we get at the other parks. Then, there are those events that are worth repeating once or twice, like the current Huli Huli Ohana Bash, which is a fun fun fun fun parade. Even when OL cuts back, they still have a higher standard over what Disney does at the US parks in regards to special entertainment and decor.
    Last year's Xmas offerings were a bit dull.. still, shows like the castle illumination and Candlelights at TDS would break the budget at WDW. Keep that in mind before passing judgement on TDR's less than epic offerings of late.. THEY ARE STILL THE BEST OFFERINGS you can find at any Disney Resort.

Then there are the other aspects of these events.. like the decor, which they have NEVER repeated from one year to the next. Again... that is something they will not do at WDW, where the same Xmas garlands from 1971 still hang over Main Street to this day it seems..

Finally, All of TDR's events are offered at regular ticket prices and available to all guests, whereas at WDW, you have to pay a hard ticket price to MVMCP and see the same Xmas shows and parades they will play later during Xmas week, which coincidentally are the sam ones they have been playing for the past 2 decades. I hear NO ONE complaining about that, do I?? I find that pathetic to say the least.

• Still lost in Neverland

I have a friend who has spent the last 7 years working there in a show in Adventureland. He has mentioned on several occasions that Oriental Land is not as free with the money as they used to be. Things are not getting repaired or fixed like they used to. Shows are not changed out as often. And part of this problem is that Disney Seas is just not drawing the people in anymore. It's suffering from the very same thing that DCA is over here. People want Disney. DCA had to add the Disney characters, and now are adding Disney/Pixar rides instead of just generic rides. At Disney seas, to us Westerners at least, is a marvel to behold. So much detail! So big! But to the Japanese its more of "Where's Mickey and Friends"? Where's the kids rides. My kids are bored because they can't go on any rides. The new Lagoon show is not Disney, I don't care about our mythical legends anymore, I want to see more Mickey!!!

There are time at Disney Seas when there are more Cast Members in the Park than Guests. And that raises much concern at Oriental Land. The huge amounts of money are not rolling in like the used to. Starting this year, I beleive he said, that overseas hires will no longer be provided with free housing, transportation, overtime or many of the other "Perks" they got for coming over there to work. He is not sure he will go back. He has done the same show for the last 5 years and apparently they have no plans to change it out. I think he is tired of it, and having to pay for his own housing and other things is not very appealing, as the salary may seem high to us, it's not considering what the housing and food prices are over there.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I have a friend who has spent the last 7 years working there in a show in Adventureland. He has mentioned on several occasions that Oriental Land is not as free with the money as they used to be. Things are not getting repaired or fixed like they used to. Shows are not changed out as often. And part of this problem is that Disney Seas is just not drawing the people in anymore. It's suffering from the very same thing that DCA is over here. People want Disney. DCA had to add the Disney characters, and now are adding Disney/Pixar rides instead of just generic rides. At Disney seas, to us Westerners at least, is a marvel to behold. So much detail! So big! But to the Japanese its more of "Where's Mickey and Friends"? Where's the kids rides. My kids are bored because they can't go on any rides. The new Lagoon show is not Disney, I don't care about our mythical legends anymore, I want to see more Mickey!!!
    They day they replace an entire land that wasn't there from opening day with another character-based land like Mermaid Lagoon (Little Mermaid) or Arabian Coast (Aladdin) is the day I will believe that DisneySea has fallen to the ranks of DCA.

Until then, this quote sounds very ill informed.

• Minion

I still don't see why people think Tokyo DisneySea is like California Adventure. The latter attracted nearly 6 million guests, while Tokyo DisneySea attracted 12.1 million guests in 2006.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I still don't see why people think Tokyo DisneySea is like California Adventure. The latter attracted nearly 6 million guests, while Tokyo DisneySea attracted 12.1 million guests in 2006.
    Where did you get that 12.1 figure from?

All I've seen regarding Tokyo Disney Seas attendance were estimates.And these were from the same people who think the Magic Kingdom is the worlds most visited park last year.

• Still lost in Neverland

Like I said, he worked there for 7 years. He was at Disney Seas a lot and had a lot of Japanese friends he had made over time working there. He went one day and practically had free run of the Park. Every single ride or show was a walk on, all day long.

And it's now a well know fact that Mythica is NOT drawing any audience the sizes of that first lagoon show when the Park first opened.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    And it's now a well know fact that Mythica is NOT drawing any audience the sizes of that first lagoon show when the Park first opened.
    Funny... because everytime I have seen this show, the crowd around the lagoon seems as plentiful as before when Porto Paradiso used to play. If you want to have a good spot for the show, you will have to wait over an hour to get it!!!
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-22-2007 at 05:45 PM.

We can fix this problem, by importing WDW's old parade floats and letting WDW get brand new ones. ; )

• The Darkness to Light

I got a better idea, how about we just destory the old floats and recycle the important parts like the chassies a la what TDR does/did?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Where did you get that 12.1 figure from?

All I've seen regarding Tokyo Disney Seas attendance were estimates.And these were from the same people who think the Magic Kingdom is the worlds most visited park last year.
    The OLC did post exact figures for both parks, but they seem to have taken it down. When I last saw the figures, they were less than a million apart. Now if only I can find it again...
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast