Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Smile Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Would anybody like to share with us who is generally credited with the lead design of the Tokyo DisneySea park and Hotel Miracosta?

    I have often read about certain imagineers being responsible for "POTC", "Big Thunder", "DCA", and so forth.

    So who gets the lion's share of the credit for this concept and it's execution?

  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    In 2002, the Park won the Best Theme Park award from the Themed Entertainment Association. They had a list of people responsible for the various aspects of the Park. You can see the list in the archived link to my old site below:

    http://web.archive.org/web/200212090.../news_tea.html

    JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

  3. #3

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Cool, thanks. So does this mean Tom Fitzgerald is the main creative force responsible for TDS?

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    How I dream to be listed in the CAD design section with Thomas Conti, Victor Chan, Mike Guevara!!

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Interesting wonder how many of those Imagineers still work for Disney.And how many were cut!

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    ^^ considering al the lay offs that happened recently, my guess is at least 5% of the list still work for disney. Oh wait, that just leaves the executives, so no more imagineers.

  7. #7

    • Creative Director
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    ^Well, I wouldn't say quite that. But yes, many were laid off, and some were probably brought on on a project by project basis.

    I believe it was the Kirks that were quite responsibe for the conception of Tokyo DisneySea.

    There is the "talk" that goes around that most of the team from TDS got laid off while the majority of the folks responsible for DCA are still at WDI- makes you think uh? Anyway, that's just the gossip, take it as such- I don't know the truth behind it all.

  8. #8

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,884
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Anyways maybe Disney will have a makeover for DCA or a third gate to hire them back for?

  9. #9

    • Creative Director
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    They run their own design firm now, so they are probably getting other projects for other companies...that could also mean that they could be hired on a project basis by WDI for a particular project, but not sure if they have used them yet.

  10. #10

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Cool, thanks. So does this mean Tom Fitzgerald is the main creative force responsible for TDS?




    Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    I believe it was the Kirks that were quite responsibe for the conception of Tokyo DisneySea.


    There is the "talk" that goes around that most of the team from TDS got laid off while the majority of the folks responsible for DCA are still at WDI- makes you think uh? Anyway, that's just the gossip, take it as such- I don't know the truth behind it all.
    I do. It's not simply "talk."

    Set the Wayback Machine™ to 2001, the year both DCA and TDS opened. Tom Fitzgerald was promoted to Executive Vice President of Creative Development in July, Barry Braverman was put in charge of the DL Design Studio (WDI's Anaheim division) after it was taken out of Tony Baxter's control in May, and Steve Kirk and most of his TDS team were laid off from WDI shortly after the park opened in September. (Steve had 25 years with Imagineering, and well-deserved kudos for leading the team which created TDS. Which was oh so wrong on so many levels.)

    While several prominent members of the DCA team are now gone (Timur Galen, Barry Braverman), many still remain, like Tom Fitzgerald. To say that this involved protection from above pretty much goes without saying.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  11. #11

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Bob Weis was pushing TDS long before the Kirks. He quit Disney before that and Steve Kirk became creative lead.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  12. #12

    • time to go
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,547

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Bob Weis was pushing TDS long before the Kirks. He quit Disney before that and Steve Kirk became creative lead.
    Much like David Mumford taking the reins for Mermaid Lagoon after Eddie Sotto's departure. Lots of deck chair shuffling on the S.S. TDS.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

  13. #13

    • Creative Director
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post








    I do. It's not simply "talk."

    Set the Wayback Machine™ to 2001, the year both DCA and TDS opened. Tom Fitzgerald was promoted to Executive Vice President of Creative Development in July, Barry Braverman was put in charge of the DL Design Studio (WDI's Anaheim division) after it was taken out of Tony Baxter's control in May, and Steve Kirk and most of his TDS team were laid off from WDI shortly after the park opened in September. (Steve had 25 years with Imagineering, and well-deserved kudos for leading the team which created TDS. Which was oh so wrong on so many levels.)

    While several prominent members of the DCA team are now gone (Timur Galen, Barry Braverman), many still remain, like Tom Fitzgerald. To say that this involved protection from above pretty much goes without saying.
    Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up. =) I just said "talk" because it was what I had heard and read from a few folks, but I wasn't positive on it, so I didn't want to spread false information.

    Why so much "deck shuffling" on creating TDS? is that normal for a project?

  14. #14

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    TDS...Total Despair, the Sequel.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  15. #15

    • Creative Director
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    TDS...Total Despair, the Sequel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Check out my Tokyo DisneySea and Tokyo Disneyland videos!
    By Bad Wolf in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 08:31 AM
  2. 1 Day in Tokyo - Disneyland or DisneySea?
    By afx114 in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
  3. Tokyo DisneySea Announcements
    By kustomboy in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
  4. Tai-Fun to hit Tokyo DL/DisneySea?
    By okerry in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
  5. Best attraction in Tokyo DisneySea
    By TDR_Fan in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 11:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •