Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

Would anybody like to share with us who is generally credited with the lead design of the Tokyo DisneySea park and Hotel Miracosta?

I have often read about certain imagineers being responsible for "POTC", "Big Thunder", "DCA", and so forth.

So who gets the lion's share of the credit for this concept and it's execution?

Re: Who designed Tokyo DisneySea?

In 2002, the Park won the Best Theme Park award from the Themed Entertainment Association. They had a list of people responsible for the various aspects of the Park. You can see the list in the archived link to my old site below:

http://web.archive.org/web/200212090.../news_tea.html

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool, thanks. So does this mean Tom Fitzgerald is the main creative force responsible for TDS?

• Banned User

How I dream to be listed in the CAD design section with Thomas Conti, Victor Chan, Mike Guevara!!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Interesting wonder how many of those Imagineers still work for Disney.And how many were cut!

• Banned User

^^ considering al the lay offs that happened recently, my guess is at least 5% of the list still work for disney. Oh wait, that just leaves the executives, so no more imagineers.

• Creative Director

^Well, I wouldn't say quite that. But yes, many were laid off, and some were probably brought on on a project by project basis.

I believe it was the Kirks that were quite responsibe for the conception of Tokyo DisneySea.

There is the "talk" that goes around that most of the team from TDS got laid off while the majority of the folks responsible for DCA are still at WDI- makes you think uh? Anyway, that's just the gossip, take it as such- I don't know the truth behind it all.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Anyways maybe Disney will have a makeover for DCA or a third gate to hire them back for?

• Creative Director

They run their own design firm now, so they are probably getting other projects for other companies...that could also mean that they could be hired on a project basis by WDI for a particular project, but not sure if they have used them yet.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Cool, thanks. So does this mean Tom Fitzgerald is the main creative force responsible for TDS?

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    I believe it was the Kirks that were quite responsibe for the conception of Tokyo DisneySea.

There is the "talk" that goes around that most of the team from TDS got laid off while the majority of the folks responsible for DCA are still at WDI- makes you think uh? Anyway, that's just the gossip, take it as such- I don't know the truth behind it all.
    I do. It's not simply "talk."

Set the Wayback Machine™ to 2001, the year both DCA and TDS opened. Tom Fitzgerald was promoted to Executive Vice President of Creative Development in July, Barry Braverman was put in charge of the DL Design Studio (WDI's Anaheim division) after it was taken out of Tony Baxter's control in May, and Steve Kirk and most of his TDS team were laid off from WDI shortly after the park opened in September. (Steve had 25 years with Imagineering, and well-deserved kudos for leading the team which created TDS. Which was oh so wrong on so many levels.)

While several prominent members of the DCA team are now gone (Timur Galen, Barry Braverman), many still remain, like Tom Fitzgerald. To say that this involved protection from above pretty much goes without saying.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Santa Barbara, CA

Bob Weis was pushing TDS long before the Kirks. He quit Disney before that and Steve Kirk became creative lead.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Bob Weis was pushing TDS long before the Kirks. He quit Disney before that and Steve Kirk became creative lead.
    Much like David Mumford taking the reins for Mermaid Lagoon after Eddie Sotto's departure. Lots of deck chair shuffling on the S.S. TDS.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post

I do. It's not simply "talk."

Set the Wayback Machine™ to 2001, the year both DCA and TDS opened. Tom Fitzgerald was promoted to Executive Vice President of Creative Development in July, Barry Braverman was put in charge of the DL Design Studio (WDI's Anaheim division) after it was taken out of Tony Baxter's control in May, and Steve Kirk and most of his TDS team were laid off from WDI shortly after the park opened in September. (Steve had 25 years with Imagineering, and well-deserved kudos for leading the team which created TDS. Which was oh so wrong on so many levels.)

While several prominent members of the DCA team are now gone (Timur Galen, Barry Braverman), many still remain, like Tom Fitzgerald. To say that this involved protection from above pretty much goes without saying.
    Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up. =) I just said "talk" because it was what I had heard and read from a few folks, but I wasn't positive on it, so I didn't want to spread false information.

Why so much "deck shuffling" on creating TDS? is that normal for a project?

• Santa Barbara, CA

TDS...Total Despair, the Sequel.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    TDS...Total Despair, the Sequel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast