Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Always a Dreamer

Info on "The Snow Queen" coming to TDS?

Hi all!

Looking at info on Alan Menken via Wikipedia, I saw a piece of information stating,

""The Snow Queen" set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea with Amon Miyamoto directing and John Weidman as the bookwriter and Glen Slater the lyricist."

Can anybody confirm this information? Has a date been set for it? I'd love for it to launch while I'm still in Japan so that I could go and see it. I'm shivering with anticipation already!
    "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."
    ~E.L. Doctorow

• Banned User

Re: Info on "The Snow Queen" coming to TDS?

The "Snow Queen" show was cancelled. It will not play at TDS at all. Instead, the current "Big Band Beat" show will play for an indefinite amount of time, as it became quite popular with guests.

Yeah, I guess the Wikipedia entry needs to be updated. Read more here:
    http://www.jtcent.com/extras/news/news_060825.html

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• The Darkness to Light

If they allow public editing, you could always do it. Even link back to your news update as part of the citation process. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The "Snow Queen" show was cancelled. It will not play at TDS at all. Instead, the current "Big Band Beat" show will play for an indefinite amount of time, as it became quite popular with guests.
    Why would OLC cancel it?

• Always a Dreamer

Thanks for the update! It's so sad that it got cancelled. I wonder if they'll change their minds in the future.

At the same time, I thought it was interesting to read that Menken's lyrics had been translated into *Japanese* for "the local production," which I assume is the TDS production. I wonder if that means that they're considering doing the production with English lyrics elsewhere.

One way or the other, I do hope that this production will eventually get off the ground. I'd love to hear/see it!
    "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."
    ~E.L. Doctorow

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I had heard the musical got canned due to there being a lack of budget.Besides why spend a small fortune on a new musical which probarely wouldn't have worked in front of a Japanese audience when you already have the suscessful Big Band Beat show.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I had heard the musical got canned due to there being a lack of budget.Besides why spend a small fortune on a new musical which probarely wouldn't have worked in front of a Japanese audience when you already have the suscessful Big Band Beat show.
    It wasn't that they didn't have good faith in the show's performance.

It was because of money.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    It wasn't that they didn't have good faith in the show's performance.

It was because of money.
    I think that's what he just said...
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

That is what I said,the concern about the show not being right for a Japanese audience comes from the fact that the show would of featured no Disney characters,which is a must at the Tokyo parks,except for Mystic Rythims.And certainly if OLC believed in the show it would of payed the extra.

Personally I think Snow Queen would be better suited for one of the American parks or Disneyland Resort Paris.Where the audience isn't into the characters as much,and would probarely apreciate a boardway quality show that doesn't feature anything Mickey related!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Hi all!

Looking at info on Alan Menken via Wikipedia, I saw a piece of information stating,

""The Snow Queen" set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea with Amon Miyamoto directing and John Weidman as the bookwriter and Glen Slater the lyricist."

Can anybody confirm this information? Has a date been set for it? I'd love for it to launch while I'm still in Japan so that I could go and see it. I'm shivering with anticipation already!
    Well, in spite of news to the contrary, maybe TDS will have a change of heart and install the Snow Queen show anuyway. Also, I was under the impression that TDRr has given serious consideration gto a ride based on the Snow Queen. Seems like that would be highly possible in the wake of the future movie.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Personally I think Snow Queen would be better suited for one of the American parks or Disneyland Resort Paris.Where the audience isn't into the characters as much,and would probarely apreciate a boardway quality show that doesn't feature anything Mickey related!
    Doubt it. We Americans are notorious for being interested in only popular culture and movie tie-ins as far as theme parks go. A show titled "The Snow Queen" would probably end up causing people to think it has something to do with Narnia.

And I should know. I'm the idiot that thought the Spongebob Super Turbo Ride was an actual ride and not some IMAX movie with moving chairs.

In order for it to suceed in the American theme parks, it would have to have a subtitle of some kind that would explain a little bit that it has nothing to do with Narnia but a story that is original on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Doubt it. We Americans are notorious for being interested in only popular culture and movie tie-ins as far as theme parks go. A show titled "The Snow Queen" would probably end up causing people to think it has something to do with Narnia.

And I should know. I'm the idiot that thought the Spongebob Super Turbo Ride was an actual ride and not some IMAX movie with moving chairs.

In order for it to suceed in the American theme parks, it would have to have a subtitle of some kind that would explain a little bit that it has nothing to do with Narnia but a story that is original on its own.
    Snow Queen is a old fairy tale. Proably older than Narnia.

• The Darkness to Light

Does Joe Average know that upon entering a Disney Park and seeing in the showtime insert the title "The Snow Queen?"

I seriously doubt that. And I also seriously doubt they would do research on the story on their own. After all, that's what marketing teams are for. They give you the bare bones of the story, you go and see it for the rest of the flesh. Just look at how they went about advertsing... well, pretty much any movie. They start with the idea that their audiance doesn't know squat about the story even if they are a fan of it.

Joe Average probably doesn't know what "The Snow Queen" is about. And I had an English Class with someone who honestly thought the book version of "The Little Mermaid" was based off of the 80's film Splash. I'm not joking either.

When I first mentioned this story to some Disney fans last year, they all immediately thought of "Snow White" as the queen. Then, I explained that it would be based on H.C. Andersen's story. Most of them said they knew about the fairy tale, but wondered why Disney would do it since they haven't made a movie on it yet.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast