Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• idk my BFF Minnie

Impending Tokyo Disney Sea Trip--Opinions needed!

A week from Saturday I'll be spending the day at the illustrious Disney Sea. (Leaving June 14 until 22) Yep, only a day, my family isn't as fanatical about Disney as I am, unfortunately So I'm trying to plan all the things we'll be doing beforehand to make the most out of the day, and I'd like some opinions from the people who've been there (Especially during this time) I've also been bummed lately because we've just realized that we're visiting Japan during its rainy reason(bad planning on our part ) So onto the questions...

1. Is the Fastpass system the same as here? Can we get one, then get another after two hours, or have to wait until the time on our first one expires?

2. How is the weather in Japan during this time? Is it a downpour, drizzle, overcast? Will it destroy my experience at Disney Sea? Will shows like Braviseamo and The Legend of Mythica be cancelled?

3. Will it be crowded?

4. And finally, what are your favorite shows and restaurants? I already know what rides I'll be doing.

I'll be taking trip reports into consideration too... Thanks for all your help!

edit: Another question! What are your favorite places in Tokyo? I'll be going to Harajuku for sure, not sure about Akihabara yet... Shinjuku, Shibuya I've been to but might go again, and I'm stumped. I have one whole day where my whole family will follow me around Tokyo, then its off to tours and stuff, blech :P I'd like to go to some of the cultural places, or at least places of interest.

• Hedonist

Re: Impending Tokyo Disney Sea Trip--Opinions needed!

1 - I believe fastpass times are more strictly enforced and have a half hour window
    2 - We traveled same time of year, had some drizzle but overall pleasant days, if a bit humid - it will be a crapshoot, so if your time is flexible, seize any nice day you have to see a Park (I'd pick DisneySeas first)
    3 - Since it's the "rainy season" you shouldn't encounter too many crowds - we had the parks to ourselves and got onto everything we wanted easily.
    4 - Definitely see Bravisimo, that was astounding. We ate well everywhere, pick a theme or cuisine and you won't be disappointed - The CMs even let us take an after closing walkthrough of Teddy's on the Columbia - I'd love to have such a lounge at Disneyland
    5 - If you are in Harajuku (Sunday's best to see the Cosplay) and the day's nice check out nextdoor Yoyogi park. We walked all the way through to Shibuya and loved all the outdoor music and gorgeous gardens - The Shibuya Disney Store is also a cool place to shop. We stayed in Shinjuku, so I've a soft spot for that part of town, and Akihabara is certainly work a peak.

If you are at all in to the Ghibli Studios, you should check out the Ghibli Museum, in Mitaka (moderate walk from the train station) but you need to order your tickets in advance (and bring your passport to pick up).

You can see our pics from Tokyo here

Sigh - makes me want to go back - and the exchange rate is some much more favorable now - you'll have a blast.

1. Yes, you'll be able to get your next FastPass either two hours after you got your current FP OR after the return time on your current FP. That is, if you got your FP at 9:00am with a return time of 1:00pm, you can get another at 11:00am. OR If the return time is 10:30am, you can get another one at that time. Just like the US parks, there is a 60-minute return time. And be careful not to be late, CM's tend to be strict about that.

2. There are overcasts or partly cloudy skies, high humidity and always chance of rain from light showers to downpours. Good luck with that. Many shows and most attractions are indoors. However, the Harbor shows could be cancelled. Check here for more info:
    http://jtcent.com/extras/inf_weather.html

3. Saturday is the busiest day of the week, but expect the biggest crowds earliest in the day. TDS should be OK!

4. It really depends on what you prefer. What kind of food do you like? fast food? Ethnic cuisine? As for shows, do you want to see character shows (Big Band Beat, Donald's Boat Builders, etc.) or unique shows (Mystic Rhythms, BraviSEAmo!, etc.)?

Extra: For cultural places I assume you mean old historical sites right? Then try the Asuka area near Ueno or Meiji Shrine in Yoyogi.

Plenty of trip reports here:
    http://jtcent.com/extras/reports.html

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

4) Must see shows if you get time to see are Mythica,BraviSEAmo,Big Band Beat,The Little Mermaid Show and Mystic Rhythms are all must see shows in my opinion.Everything else is so so and not worth doing unless you have the time.

Resturants I only tried a few,Cape Cod Cook Off sells hamburgers and fries but while food is standard afair it does offer a cute character show.The New York Deli offers some tasty deli style sandwich's,while the Zambini Brothers Ristorante has some nice food including a Smoke Salmon and Potato Pizza.Also if you have time try and have some Sea Salt Ice Cream and a Gyoza Sausage Bun.

Have a great time

• idk my BFF Minnie

Thanks for the input guys I don't know if I'm excited to go now, next Saturday looks like showers.... ::sigh:: I'll be checking the weather report and praying for the rain to go away profusely I was really looking forward for Braviseamo the most...

Hmm, as for dining goes, what is the name of this place? I want food that looks like this! The pictures are from a friend in Japan's trip report, but she has limited computer time so she wouldn't be able to answer my question quick enough if I asked. I know this is a character dining place, but is it expensive? Are there other restaurants like this?

Also, what is the show with Minnie as a mermaid? I've seen pictures of that show and that one looks interesting.

Malin: THEY ACTUALLY HAVE SEA SALT ICE CREAM!? I thought it only existed in the Kingdom Hearts series @_@!! Did KH spawn the ice cream or did they take it from TDR?

• Former Epcot CM

Take me with you.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• idk my BFF Minnie

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Take me with you.
    But it's raiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiggggg : ((((((((((((((((((((

ChiiDesu, the restaurant is called "Horizon Bay Restaurant" in Port Discovery. Character dining is available from 10:30am-7:00pm next Saturday but you'll have to order the 3,000-yen set.

The stage show with Minnie the Mermaid was called "Sail Away!" It ended in mid-2006.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Definately see Big Band Beat, the Little Mermaid show and The Legend of Mythica.

Make sure you have a Sea Salt ice cream and gyoza dog (is the line for the cart in American Waterfront still shorter?)

Absolutely save time to go on Journey to the Center of the Earth. A lot.

Most importantly, have a great trip! I'm jealous I can't go this year. Saving my $$ for a long trip for the 25th.

• idk my BFF Minnie

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererMickey View Post
    Definately see Big Band Beat, the Little Mermaid show and The Legend of Mythica.

Make sure you have a Sea Salt ice cream and gyoza dog (is the line for the cart in American Waterfront still shorter?)

Absolutely save time to go on Journey to the Center of the Earth. A lot.

Most importantly, have a great trip! I'm jealous I can't go this year. Saving my $$ for a long trip for the 25th.

I still can't believe Sea Salt ice cream exists @_@ Where can I find it? Any ODV cart? And sadly JtCoF will be closed when I get there

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChiiDesu View Post
    I still can't believe Sea Salt ice cream exists @_@ Where can I find it? Any ODV cart? And sadly JtCoF will be closed when I get there
    There's a cart selling sea salt ice cream in Mysterious Island next to Nautilus Gifts. There's also one in Mermaid Lagoon if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure of its exact location.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I always get the ice cream in Mermaid Lagoon, just after seeing the show.

No Journey? Gomen. It's fun, although there are other things in the park that are just as enjoyable. 20K is supposed to be phenomenal but I'm too claustrophobic to be in it. I had to close my eyes and go to a "happy place" when they shut the door. In Mermaid Lagoon go on the Whirlpool. It doesn't look like much but it makes me giggle. It looks similar to the teacups but if everyone squeezes together it spins on its own. My friends and I had a bunch of people laughing at us laughing hysterically on the ride. Also, in Mermaid Lagoon there's a sunken ship playground. Between the ship's sails you can throw your body to one side and it bounces you back. You do that while walking through.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The ice cream is easy to find just look out for the sign's on the ODV Carts.The ice cream comes in a free collectable tub featuring I think if memory serves me right one of the Disney characters.Let us know what you think of it by the way to me its just Vanilla ice cream but others say there is a hint of sea salt.By the way in just case you havn't seen it yet here is the schedule for Saturday. http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...t20070616.html

Don't miss The Mermaid Show (fabulous), Mythica (exciting) and Braviseamo (grand). Take lots of pictures in the park, it'll turn out so goood.

For Tokyo, if you don't have too much time, I'll suggest Harajuku area since you'll be able to see cos-play (sunday), meiji shrine, yoyogi park, shop at Takeshi-dori (grab that crepe) and Omotesando is just a street away (you can check out Oriental Bazaar for souvenirs).

• When Will It Return?

Since I've haven't chimed in on this one yet, I shall...

Quote Originally Posted by ChiiDesu View Post
    1. Is the Fastpass system the same as here? Can we get one, then get another after two hours, or have to wait until the time on our first one expires?
    On my trip which just ended last Friday, we were late for nearly every FP and they never batted an eye. Was as late as 3 hours for one, and they accepted us while rejecting the guy in front of us who was a whopping 3 minutes early. Felt just like DLR's FP policy...

2. How is the weather in Japan during this time? Is it a downpour, drizzle, overcast? Will it destroy my experience at Disney Sea? Will shows like Braviseamo and The Legend of Mythica be cancelled?
    Rain will not 'ruin' the experience, but it does shorten shows and might cancel them. While I was there I watched both the rainy day and windy day versions of Mythica and BraviSEAmo. Rainy day version of Mythica was pyro-less and short, BraviSEAmo was cancelled. Windy day versions of both were merely pyro-less, though BraviSEAmo did get cancelled on a very windy day last Thursday.

3. Will it be crowded?
    Looked to me like the most crowded days at the parks were Fri-Mon. Tues-Thurs were nice & empty with FP basically shut down and just about everything was 15mins. (You will see this in pictures coming soon - EVERYTHING at TDS was 15mins)

4. And finally, what are your favorite shows and restaurants? I already know what rides I'll be doing.

I'll be taking trip reports into consideration too... Thanks for all your help!
    Our favorite show above all else was Big Band Beat, with Over the Waves, Meet & Smile, Huli Huli Ohana Bash, and BraviSEAmo also high up on the list. My advice would be to see as many shows as possible, but always have FastPasses pending so you can ride after/between rides. Also the Japanese get to shows VERY EARLY. If you want seats in the front, be prepared to wait 45-60mins, even on empty days. You'll most like have to arrive even earlier on crowded days.

edit: Another question! What are your favorite places in Tokyo? I'll be going to Harajuku for sure, not sure about Akihabara yet... Shinjuku, Shibuya I've been to but might go again, and I'm stumped. I have one whole day where my whole family will follow me around Tokyo, then its off to tours and stuff, blech :P I'd like to go to some of the cultural places, or at least places of interest.
    Asakusa has a shopping area that's good for some souvenirs. We also very much enjoyed our day tour from JTB Sunrise Tours that took us to Mt Fuji, Fuji-Q Amusement Park's hotel for lunch, Hakone, Mt. Komagatake, and a trip on a Shinkansen 300 train. Sure it was the 'slow' one, but it was fun none the less!

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast