Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

What was the point of building Raging Spirits?

I haven't been on the ride, because unfortenately I am in America and haven't been able to make it to TDLR. I watched a ride video of Raging Spirits on Youtube and it looked pretty bad.It looked like a Six Flags ride from the early 80s. I heard the theming around it is good, but that is not enough to make what looks subpar acceptable. The rest of Tokyo Disney Sea that I have seen videos and pictures of looks absolutley fantastic, so why build Raging Spirits?

• Minion

Re: What was the point of building Raging Spirits?

They needed more attractions. And Raging Spirits was a quick fix for until Tower of Terror was completed. I don't think Raging Spirits is that bad actually. I wouldn't exactly call it subpar. It cost around $80 million to build and is an E-ticket attraction. I think it looks beautiful, especially at night. And it also features some very nice water and fire effects. I think it's an improvement over the Indiana Jones coaster at Disneyland Paris.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

I guess disney just wanted every park to have a roller coaster or an equivalent non-stop thrills ride, not to mention boost the attraction count at the park. Every magic kingdom park has space mountain, Dca has screamin, Epcot has mission space and test track, Mgm and WDSP have Rock and Rollercoaster, TDS didn't have any real thrill rides besides stormrider when it opened (Journey may be thrilling, but isn't non stop thrills)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    And it also features some very nice water and fire effects. I think it's an improvement over the Indiana Jones coaster at Disneyland Paris.
    I didn't notice any water or fire effects in the video.

• When Will It Return?

Hey Ghosthost2 - watch my Raging Spirits videos HERE and HERE and tell me what you think of the ride.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Sea Creature

They simply needed more attractions. They only had one other roller coaster and that was the kiddie, Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster. Raging Spirits is absolutely gorgeous, just like the rest of the park. The ride is a bit shaky and feels short. There's a loop and one good drop the rest is very meh.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Hey Ghosthost2 - watch my Raging Spirits videos HERE and HERE and tell me what you think of the ride.

-- PMM

Thanks, those vids were much better than what I saw. I liked the ride at night more. I still feel it could be a lot more though. IMO it is a D-Ticket.
    I can understand having to add some lesser attractions to the park, not everything can be Journey to the Center of the Earth, I just wish Raging Spirits was longer with more detail during the ride. I love Big Thunder Mountain becasue it is non-stop detail. There is not a moment on it where you feel like you are looking at barren rollercoaster track.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Raging Spirits is at LEAST as detailed as Big Thunder, in some ways it's much more detailed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I didn't notice any water or fire effects in the video.
    I meant on the exterior. There are waterfalls flowing down the temple stairs with bursts of fire rising from the pillars. It's very pretty.

Thanks, those vids were much better than what I saw. I liked the ride at night more. I still feel it could be a lot more though. IMO it is a D-Ticket.
    I can understand having to add some lesser attractions to the park, not everything can be Journey to the Center of the Earth, I just wish Raging Spirits was longer with more detail during the ride. I love Big Thunder Mountain becasue it is non-stop detail. There is not a moment on it where you feel like you are looking at barren rollercoaster track.
    I think the fantastic theming of Raging Spirits makes it E-ticket quality.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Raging Spirits is at LEAST as detailed as Big Thunder, in some ways it's much more detailed.
    Not while on the ride, at least from what I can tell from videos. BTM goes by an old west town, animals, under dinosaur bones, in a cave full of bats, by a geyser, and into a cave where a boulder is about to collapse. I didn't see half of that amount of stuff on the Raging Spirits videos.

• Minion

By the way, you have to understand that there wasn't much space in that area. They did the best they could with the space they had and the result was great. It may not be the best coaster in the world, but it's sure among the best themed. I love looking at the elaborate temple structure and the staircase waterfall with flickering fire. That area was so small that only a compact coaster like Raging Spirits would fit. I would rather take a mediocre but wonderfully themed coaster over nothing or worse, cheap flat rides.

• Minion

Not while on the ride, at least from what I can tell from videos. BTM goes by an old west town, animals, under dinosaur bones, in a cave full of bats, by a geyser, and into a cave where a boulder is about to collapse. I didn't see half of that amount of stuff on the Raging Spirits videos.
    But you do go through temple ruins and dodge meticulous carvings and sculptures. Very detailed if you ask me.

• is satisfactual.

As with the Indy ride at DLP, I don't really see the problem. No, it's not an E-ticket. It's not for the Omnimover/animatronic crowd. But it's harmless and perfectly well disguised (as a mine track surrounding an ancient temple) and it pleases the many thrill seekers who come to Disney expecting more than "it's a small world". It provides a little life in a far corner and gives the area a nice little landmark.

It's okay for a park to have a few rides that aren't multi-billion extravaganzas, I think. Variety's the spice of life.

Now if they'd built an actual Six Flags-style coaster I'd agree with you.

• When Will It Return?

It's not something I'd fly from the USA to ride, but it works quite well as a 'hey there's Raging Spirits, let's go ride it!' kind of ride.

And Six Flags would never put that hilarious warning sign about the 360 degree loop with the ringing bell. I thought it was hilarious anyway...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Minion

I still think that Indiana Jones at Disneyland Paris and Raging Spirits are E-tickets because of their excellent theming, with Raging Spirits being even more of an E-ticket due to the additional special effects and superior theming. They're not large scale E-ticket attractions like Tower of Terror or Journey to the Center of the Earth, but they're not D-tickets like Primeval Whirl or Mulholland Madness either.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast