Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: July 17-22 Tokyo Disney Resort- A Trip Report by TDR_Fan

GREAT TR!!! It sounds absolutely fabulous! I can't wait to see more pictures

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Wow your TR is getting me really excited for my TDR visit in February!
    I'll hopefully be staying at the MiraCosta as well, although not a Special Room, and yes, I will take the train .
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Minion

July 18

As I woke up, I was surprised by a knock on the door. A cast member handed me a copy of Japan Times and wished me a very nice stay at the Hotel MiraCosta. It was nice knowing what was going on in the world while I was on vacation.

Looking out the expansive windows

After getting dressed, we headed to Salone dell'Amico for our complimentary continental breakfast. As we walked down the hallway, every cast member we passed bowed to us and greeted us with a welcoming, "Ohio Gozaimasu". The breakfast at Salone dell'Amico was an all you can eat buffet, so we had a hearty selection of every breakfast item imaginable. They were all very tasty. Dining in the relaxing, Italian atmosphere while having a fabulous view of Mediterranean Harbor was just phenomenal.

Breakfast at the Salone dell'Amico

Drinks

Delicious vichyssoise

My plate

I ate until I was stuffed

After getting ready to go to Tokyo Disneyland, we headed down to the lobby. There, we went up a short, elevated walkway to Tokyo DisneySea Station.

View from the walkway. Beautiful!

View of the DisneySea AquaSphere

A Glimpse of the Disney Ambassador Hotel

Explorer Mickey Statue next to the entrance of the Tokyo DisneySea Station. There was also an Explorer Donald Statue on the other side, but I didn't get any pictures

Disney Resort Line Map inside Tokyo DisneySea Station

After a short ride on the Disney Resort Line, we arrived at Tokyo Disneyland Station.

View of Tokyo Disneyland Hotel from the station platform. This will be a very lovely view when the hotel is completed next year. I'm very excited to see how beautiful the entrance to Tokyo Disneyland will become once this Victorian, palatial hotel is completed. It's sure to blend in well with Tokyo Disneyland Station and World Bazaar.

Mickey Mouse Clock inside Tokyo Disneyland Station

After entering Tokyo Disneyland, we slowly walked through World Bazaar to take in the elegant atmosphere. We decided to head to Westernland to get Fastpasses for Big Thunder Mountain.

Elegant World Bazaar

Afterwards, we passed through Fantasyland to ride some other attractions before using our Fastpasses. I was very disappointed that Pooh's Hunny Hunt wouldn't be opening for another 3 days. Because of this, we felt no need to rush to Fantasyland right after entering the park. Anyways, we rode Snow White's Adventures first. We waited about 15 minutes. This version was very similar to Disneyland's version, though the exterior facade is nowhere near as elaborate. After, we went on the Haunted Mansion. It only had a 10 minute wait. I love this version more than Disneyland's. I would probably rank it right up there with Phantom Manor, though Phantom Manor does have an edge with its brilliant musical score! We rode it's a small world after the Haunted Mansion. As always, it was enjoyable. I really like the exterior facade and would place it right up there with Disneyland's exterior facade. I don't really like the exterior facade at Disneyland Paris, and the one at Magic Kingdom is just awful. Following it's a small world, we went back to Westernland to ride Big Thunder Mountain using our Fastpasses.

Exiting Fantasyland, I took a picture of the backside of Cinderella Castle. This is probably my second favorite castle, right behind Disneyland Paris' castle. I love the stunning stained glass mosaics inside the Cinderella Castles more than the stained glass windows inside Disneyland Paris' castle.

One more shot of Sorcerer Mickey Statue before exiting Fantasyland

Big Thunder Mountain was very fun and thrilling. Tokyo Disneyland's version is my second favorite after Disneyland Paris'. It felt like a cross of the Magic Kingdom's version and Disneyland Paris' version. After riding Big Thunder Mountain, we went to get some Fastpasses for Splash Mountain.

Tokyo Disneyland's Splash Mountain is by far the most detailed and beautiful. Overall, Critter Country was much better and prettier here than at Disneyland. After getting our Fastpasses, Brer Fox and Brer Bear also made an appearance. They were very enthusiastic, it was quite entertaining watching them interact with guests. They even surprised a boy talking on his cell phone, who turned around in amazement and surprise as the two characters tapped him on the shoulder. Very funny sight.

By far the best version of Splash Mountain

Brer Fox and Brer Bear

As we waited for the Fastpass Return Time, we went to Toontown to ride Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. Toontown was basically a mirror image of Disneyland's, except the Jolley Trolley was still carrying guests up and down Toontown!

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Roger Rabbit Fountain

Afterwards, we headed back to Critter Country to ride Splash Mountain. It was a wonderful experience. It was about 2 p.m. when we exited the attraction, so we decided to head back to the Hotel MiraCosta. We were supposed to switch rooms today to a Balcony Room. Taking the Disney Resort Line back to Tokyo DisneySea Station, we walked along the walkway back to the Hotel MiraCosta. After approaching a bellhop, we were taken to our Balcony Room on the 3rd floor. Upon entering, it looked just like a normal Superior Room. However, there was a rather large balcony right outside the window! The view was perfect, and Mount Prometheus was directly in the center of our view. The Balcony Rooms are all located above the BellaVista Lounge and all feature perfect Harbor Views.

Our Balcony Room

Stepping out onto the balcony

Exquisite trompe l'oeil

Soon after, the Legend of Mythica started. I had a perfect view from my balcony and was able to see all the performers around the lagoon. In my opinion, the Legend of Mythica is the best daytime parade ever presented in a Disney park. It's simply amazing. From the performers to the elaborate floats, everything is practically flawless.

The Legend of Mythica about to begin

It begins!

Finale

After the exciting performance of the Legend of Mythica, we headed back to Tokyo Disneyland. Unfortunately, my battery died while I was there. That means no more pictures of Tokyo Disneyland for this part of the trip report. Moving along, I went to get Fastpasses for Space Mountain as soon as I arrived. Then I went to ride Splash Mountain again using the standby line. I waited around 30 minutes, had an excellent time, and then decided to go explore the Swiss Family Treehouse. I've missed it dearly ever since it got replaced by Tarzan's Treehouse at Disneyland.

After that, I took the Tom Sawyer Isand Rafts to do a bit more exploring. I hate that Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island has been replaced by Pirate's Lair and was glad to see the old fashioned Tom Sawyer Island again. The Mark Twain Riverboat was down for refurb, so I didn't get to ride that until Saturday. After I took the Rafts back to Westernland, I went to the Countr Bear Theatre. They were playing the Vacation Jamboree since it was summer break. I thought it was quite enjoyable and relaxing. Like the previous attractions, this one also holds a special place in my heart since it was removed from Disneyland.

After the Country Bear Theatre, I rode Big Thunder Mountain again using the standby line. The wait time was posted as 25 minutes, but I only waited about 15 minutes. I was amazed at how well maintained the attraction is, both in the queue and on the ride itself. I often see litter and vandalism problems in the other Big Thunder Mountains, especially at Disneyland Paris.

After riding Big Thunder Mountain, we headed to Tomorrowland to ride Space Mountain using our Fastpasses. I like everything about this Space Mountain other than the fact that it features no soundtrack. I love that they still have the conveyor-belt escalator at the entrance of the attraction. I liked the newly redesigned station and logo. Very cool green energy bolts surging through the station.

Overall, I thought it was better than Disneyland's version because it had everything I missed from Disneyland's version. I would probably rank it behind Disneyland Paris' version. I don't really like Disneyland's current version, nor the Magic Kingdom's very dated version.

After Space Mountain, we had dinner at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. This is an extremely pretty and magical restaurant. It truly feels like you've stepped into the movie! It was so colorful and fantastical that I spent most of the time just looking around instead of eating. I ordered the fried prawns with seasoned vegetables, while having a Kirin Lemon as my beverage. It was very delicious, but not as filling as I thought. There are beautiful stained glass windows in this restaurant. How I wish I could've taken some pictures here. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who visits Tokyo Disneyland. It's, hands down, the most "Disney" restaurant in any Magic Kingdom.

After dinner, we rode it's a small world again to settle our stomachs before riding something more intense. I noticed that Alice's Tea Party was also down for refurbing. I've never been a big fan of spinning attractions, so it was not a big loss. Pinocchio's Daring Journey was my next attraction. It was very similar to Disneyland's version, both inside and out. I waited about 10 minutes for it and found it enjoyable.

Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland is like a mix of Disneyland's old and new Fantasyland. Half of it has the Magic Kingdom's medieval fair look, while the other half features elaborate facades like Disneyland and Disneyland Paris' Fantasylands. However, Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland features the best attractions out of the 5 Fantasylands. I'm sure they could easily give it a renovation like Disneyland's. It would then be the best Fantasyland in my opinion, containing 3 E-ticket attractions. I feel that the other Fantasylands (Disneyland's excluded) lack that one major E-ticket attraction; the one that draws many guests into the land. I don't want to visit Fantasyland just for the traditional dark rides or it's a small world. They're classic Disney attractions, but not really new and exciting to me. Reason why I feel Fantasyland is a rather weak land in the other Magic Kingdoms. Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland is my favorite in this regard.

It was nearing 7:30 p.m, so I decided to head back to the Hotel MiraCosta to watch BraviSEAmo from my balcony. As I walked towards World Bazaar, the Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights started. I watched about 5 minutes, then headed back towards World Bazaar. I then took the Disney Resort Line from Tokyo Disneyland Station to Tokyo DisneySea Station. Upon arriving at my room, it was about 8 p.m.

I could hear the majestic and sweeping music playing before the show started. I took the time to record it for my personal collection. I might post it here if I find out how to. Anyways, BraviSEAmo soon started and was breathtaking like usual. I noticed a very large amount of guests watching the show, contrary to the belief that it is unpopular to the Japanese guests. There was also a round of applause and cheers after the show ended. Here are some pictures taken from my balcony.

The Spirit of Water

Mount Prometheus erupts!

The Spirit of Fire

The two spirits meet

Finale

Crowds leave as Swept Away plays

After BraviSEAmo ended, Disney Magic in the Sky was presented. I had a good view from my balcony and enjoyed the show, even though it was quite short.

Disney Magic in the Sky

As Disney Magic in the Sky ended, I decided to head back to Tokyo Disneyland for the last hour or so before it closed. Taking the Disney Resort Line, I arrived within 5 minutes. Entering Tokyo Disneyland, I rode Space Mountain again using the standby line. It was posted at about 25 minutes. Then I headed to Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters for a quick ride. The wait time was about 15 minutes. I've always been terrible at shooting the targets. I have never gotten more than 100,000 points, no matter how hard I try. Oh well. It was fun, regardless of how many points I got. I rode it again right after exiting since the wait time was 5 minutes by this point. This time, I only got 63,000 points. Wanting to try my luck again, I rode it a third time. I got around 78,000 points this time. The park was closing by the time I got out, so I walked slowly all the way to World Bazaar. I took the time to take in the lovely atmosphere of the park. By the time I exited Tokyo Disneyland, it was about 10:10 p.m.

I dozed off in the Disney Resort Line as we travelled back to the Hotel MiraCosta. I was feeling very tired, so I headed back to my room immediately after arriving. Like the previous night, I slept with the curtains and window open. Hearing the relaxing and elegant music from Mediterranean Harbor pour in quickly made me fall asleep. Tomorrow would be a Tokyo DisneySea exclusive day!
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

My parks are so pretty!
    I can't wait to spend the day there tomorrow!! and the forecast calls for sunny weather all day!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    My parks are so pretty!

They sure were. It should be worth noting that I saw a bit of cracked pavement in Tokyo Disneyland, near Westernand! Everything else looked pristine, and the whole resort was spotless. Tokyo DisneySea looked especially fresh and new. I hope the attention is focused on preparing Tokyo Disneyland for its 25th Anniversary. A major repainting and refurbing would make the park more appealing, though it's already by far the most well maintained Disney park along with Tokyo DisneySea.

Loved the second part of the report and cant wait for the third. Well done yet again.

BraviSEAmo! is one of my all time favorite night time shows. I find it really emotional and awe inspiring. It nearly brought me to tears when I saw it for the first time. I never got to see the Legend of Mythica as it was cancelled three days in a row due to wind

I was there late March when it was a school holiday and it was packed all the time. I can see by your pics that the crowds are less. Is summer time a good time to visit. The crowds did not really effect my experience much but it would of been nice if it was less crowded as it was wall to wall last time so want to go next time when its a little less hectic.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    Loved the second part of the report and cant wait for the third. Well done yet again.

BraviSEAmo! is one of my all time favorite night time shows. I find it really emotional and awe inspiring. It nearly brought me to tears when I saw it for the first time. I never got to see the Legend of Mythica as it was cancelled three days in a row due to wind

I was there late March when it was a school holiday and it was packed all the time. I can see by your pics that the crowds are less. Is summer time a good time to visit. The crowds did not really effect my experience much but it would of been nice if it was less crowded as it was wall to wall last time so want to go next time when its a little less hectic.

Thank you. I agree that BraviSEAmo is a very emotional and amazing show. Like you, I was basically in tears as I saw it for the first time (and even now). I think that it has the best soundtrack out of any nighttime spectacular. Very grand and majestic! I like BraviSEAmo more than Fantasmic or IllumiNations, and it is my favorite nighttime spectacular.

Crowds were not so much a problem during my trip. For the first three days or so, the crowds were very minimal. Most attractions had wait times under 10 minutes. However, after Friday the crowds started to appear. I was told that their summer break had started. From that point on, it was rare to see a line under 30 minutes for the major E-ticket attractions. If you want to visit during July and experience very low crowds, make sure you do so before the 3rd Friday of the month.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    They sure were. It should be worth noting that I saw a bit of cracked pavement in Tokyo Disneyland, near Westernand! .
    Yes, I have noticed and commented on several areas of the flooring that need attention... Seems like OLC is slacking off a bit... and I am concerned.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Yes, I have noticed and commented on several areas of the flooring that need attention... Seems like OLC is slacking off a bit... and I am concerned.
    I'm concerned as well. Tokyo Disneyland is still by far the most well maintained and clean Disney park along with Tokyo DisneySea, but I hope these small problems are fixed soon. I definitely do not want to see the same cracked pavement in the park when I visit next year.

MickeyAngelo Gifts is the best shop at Tokyo Disney Resort. For some reason you can usually find DVDs and CDs that are out of stock at the parks in stock at this shop. They also have a fantastic set of fine china MiraCosta themed plates, and in general, a great selection of items from both parks' many gift shops. I love, love, love this shop and wish it were duplicated at other Disney premium hotels!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    MickeyAngelo Gifts is the best shop at Tokyo Disney Resort. For some reason you can usually find DVDs and CDs that are out of stock at the parks in stock at this shop. They also have a fantastic set of fine china MiraCosta themed plates, and in general, a great selection of items from both parks' many gift shops. I love, love, love this shop and wish it were duplicated at other Disney premium hotels!
    I agree. It's a very beautiful shop too, decorated in real marble and other elaborate paintings. I loved the two lovely MiraCosta mugs I bought. I think they are made from china (looks like bone china) too.

Would cracks be more common at Tokyo Disney? After-all Tokyo is a earth quake hotspot.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    Would cracks be more common at Tokyo Disney? After-all Tokyo is a earth quake hotspot.
    I suppose so. I do know for a fact that the foundation was built much more durable than the other Disney resorts because of this.

• Minion

Sorry, but I'm not going to be at my home computer for a few days. That means the 3rd part of my trip report will have to wait until next week, unfortunately.

I forgot to make one observation regarding Indiana Jones Adventure in the first part of my trip report. It seems that they restored the original roughness of the attraction. It felt much more intense and rough compared to last year's visit. I'm glad they chose to restore the original intensity (or at least near it) like Disneyland's version. I was literally holding on as tight as I could for fear of falling out.

Oh, and Raging Spirits felt so much smoother than last year. The headrests were extremely soft and comfortable. I liked it much better than last year and rode it multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post

I forgot to make one observation regarding Indiana Jones Adventure in the first part of my trip report. It seems that they restored the original roughness of the attraction. It felt much more intense and rough compared to last year's visit. I'm glad they chose to restore the original intensity (or at least near it) like Disneyland's version. I was literally holding on as tight as I could for fear of falling out.

Oh, and Raging Spirits felt so much smoother than last year. The headrests were extremely soft and comfortable. I liked it much better than last year and rode it multiple times.
    Indy Jones was my favorite ride at DisneySea. Being in the UK I have only been to WDW and Paris and I have heard so many great things about the Indy adventure rides. I had high expectations and the ride exceeded them in every way, I really consider it to be of the best Disney attractions ever.

I was at DisneySea this past March/April and I went on Indy around 7-10 times and I found the roughness varied depending where you sat, on the edges near the back being the roughest. Unlike other rides, the roughness is to be celebrated on Indy as it's a staple part of the attraction.

It is a testament to the ride that the DisneySea version is nearly identical (yes it has been plussed but thats to be expected) to the Disneyland version as everyone knows DisneySea is to the brim of quality rides. Universal might have Spider-man but I still think Indy is the pinnacle of themed thrill rides.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast