Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Sea Creature

Re: July 17-22 Tokyo Disney Resort- A Trip Report by TDR_Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Dragging luggage up and down stairs is not my idea of a vacation.
    It's part of the adventure! Sure you make a fool of yourself but there are also a lot of people who try to help you get through the stations and such.

Good trip report so far by the way.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    Indy Jones was my favorite ride at DisneySea. Being in the UK I have only been to WDW and Paris and I have heard so many great things about the Indy adventure rides. I had high expectations and the ride exceeded them in every way, I really consider it to be of the best Disney attractions ever.

I was at DisneySea this past March/April and I went on Indy around 7-10 times and I found the roughness varied depending where you sat, on the edges near the back being the roughest. Unlike other rides, the roughness is to be celebrated on Indy as it's a staple part of the attraction.

It is a testament to the ride that the DisneySea version is nearly identical (yes it has been plussed but thats to be expected) to the Disneyland version as everyone knows DisneySea is to the brim of quality rides. Universal might have Spider-man but I still think Indy is the pinnacle of themed thrill rides.
    Journey to the Center of the Earth was my favorite attraction at Tokyo DisneySea, but Indiana Jones Adventure was a close second. And yes, I find the Indiana Jones Adventures to be far better than Spider-Man.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    It builds character!

Listen, enough of the damn hotel. Let's see the parks.
    I suppose. Taking a train in Japan is much safer than anywhere else in my opinion. But then I would have to buy Disney Resort Line passes when I arrive at the resort to get to my hotel. Don't forget that the Hotel MiraCosta is quite a distance from Maihama Station. I don't think it's worth the hassle; I get free passes when I check-in anyways (Disney hotel privileges! ). Maybe if I was staying at the Ambassador Hotel since it is within walking distance. Only then I would consider taking the train, but the limousine bus is just so convenient!

And of course I have to include lots of pictures of the hotel. It's not every day that you get to see the MiraCosta's concierge service. It was by far the best experience I've ever had at a hotel. And the MiraCosta is technically part of Tokyo DisneySea, so I guess you can classify those hotel pictures as park photos.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I've got no problem with anyone taking the limosine bus service as if your not use to how Japan's train service operates it can be a difficult time.Especially with the languege difference,and I would always recomend visitors to Japan catch this service to or close to there nearest hotel.

• Minion

Oh wow, Miracosta, the views from the room are so pretty

• Minion

July 19- Part 1

I woke up around 8:00 a.m. and noticed that they were doing rehearsals for Chip and Dale's Cool Service. They were very loud, even with our windows tightly shut. While my family members complained about the noise (Chip's voice is extremely high-pitched), I kind of enjoyed watching them practice. It was very funny watching them spray water as if there were actual guests there. Several managers I'm guessing were walking around, watching the show.

After the practice ended, I counted over 20 sweepers in Mediterranean Harbor drying the wet pathways and railings. I also saw what guests not staying at the Hotel MiraCosta could never see; vans driving around the park!

Chip and Dale's Cool Service Rehearsal

A blue van drives down Mediterranean Harbor

Look at the number of sweepers!

We had breakfast reservations at Oceano, so we headed down to the lobby. Upon entering the restaurant, we were seated in the Pearl section of the restaurant. Oceano is divided into 3 sections (or at least, that's all I counted), all ocean-themed. There's the Shell Room, the Kelp Room, and the Pearl Room. Oceano offers an all you can eat buffet stlye breakfast. There is one section for American/European dishes, while another section offers Japanese delights. I tried just about everything; miso soup, French toast, German potatoes, Mickey pancakes, etc.

Very beautiful Pearl Room

My plate

After eating a delicious breakfast, we headed back to our room. Along the way, I took some pictures of each of the 8 murals in the rotunda. Each mural represents one of Tokyo DisneySea's 7 ports of call, with the last one representing the theme of the park; discovery and exploration. Every mural contains a "Hidden Mickey". Try to see if you can find all 8.

Spirit of Mediterranean Harbor

Spirit of Mysterious Island

Spirit of Mermaid Lagoon

Spirit of Arabian Coast

Spirit of Lost River Delta

Spirit of Port Discovery

Spirit of American Waterfront

Spirit of Discovery & Exploration

When we arrived at our room, it was about 9:45 a.m. We noticed that guests of the Hotel MiraCosta had already been granted entry and were now headed to their favorite attractions.

Hotel guests enter the park

Not long after, the park officially opened. Meet & Smile, the character greeting show, started several minutes later. The Italian marching band also arrived to greet guests.

Meet & Smile

Italian marching band

After we were well rested from our meal, we decided to enter the park. Heading down to the 1st floor of the hotel, we entered the most beautiful theme park in the world. Entering Mediterranean Harbor for the first time in the daylight was dreamlike. Even though it was not my first visit, I was still shocked by the beauty of the park. The romantic music playing in Mediterranean Harbor was so powerful and sweeping that I almost felt like just staying here for a few hours. Even though it's very pretty at night, I thought Mediterranean Harbor was much more colorful in the day. The attention to detail in Tokyo DisneySea is far beyond any other theme park, hands down. You can easily spend horus here just looking at how elaborate every single facade is, especially the Hotel MiraCosta. Anyways, we decided to ride Journey to the Center of the Earth first. As we walked towards Mysterious Island, I couldn't help but take a few pictures along the way; the park was just too beautiful that I couldn't resist!

Incredibly beautiful vistas

We finally arrived at Mysterious Island by entering the vast cavern from Mediterranean Harbor and rode my favorite attraction of all-time; Journey to the Center of the Earth with about a 5 minute wait. Before entering, I collected some Fastpasses from the elaborately themed machines. The machines themselves were brass and were realistically aged. From the main cavern outside the attraction, we could see the amazing drilling device sticking through a hole in the ceiling. Moving along, the queue for Journey to the Center of the Earth is amazingly detailed and looks just like the inside of a real volcano. There's magma oozing out from a large crack in the ground with steam and rock formations of different colors. There is also dried magma all over the walls of the queue. Very elegantly detailed Victorian style paintings of the various part of the center of the Earth are attached to the walls, including one of the Crystal Caverns and the Mushroom Forest. The railings are all rusted and bronze in color. There's also cool exhibits full of bizarre creatures and items from the center of the Earth. The background music here is very immersive and prepares you for the journey ahead. Unfortunately, we The Terravators are just as detailed and immersive; it serves well to trick you into believing you're travelling down deep into the Earth. Journey to the Center of the Earth's queue is my personal favorite because of the incredible detail. Even the subterranean vehicles themselves are so ornate and intricately themed. On to the attraction, I've noticed that you get more airtime during the launched drop than you do on the final drop on Splash Mountain.

Entrance to the attraction

After a wonderful experience on Journey to the Center of the Earth, we walked over to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Exterior queue of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

There was no wait, so we boarded a sub right away. I got the very front seat and had a fantastic experience. I really liked controlling the flashlights, especially in the Atlantis scene. The musical score for this attraction is very haunting and majestic. I think this is by far the most elaborate and impressive version of the current submarine attractions. Much better than the cartoony Finding Nemo version at Disneyland in my opinion. The queue alone is so detailed and full of background information about the storyline that I almost wished there was a longer wait.

After 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I took a walk around Mysterious Island just to take in the atmosphere. I'm a big Jules Verne fan, so Mysterious Island is my favorite area in a Disney park. Everything looks like it came right out of the Jules Verne novels. It's by far the most impressive area in any theme park.

The Nautilus

Very cool and functional drilling machine

Cast iron bridge. You can see one of the subterranean vehicles from Journey to the Center of the Earth passing by.

Waterfall

We decided to head over to Mermaid Lagoon to ride Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster and also see the Mermaid Lagoon Theatre.

So pretty and colorful!

Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster- note the lush vegetation and rockwork around the attraction. It's amazing that even C-Ticket attractions like this are very well themed and blended into the rest of the area

Entering Triton's Kingdom

The Mermaid Lagoon Theatre hosts an excellent production of Under the Sea which recreates events from the movie. I thought it was very elaborately done and much better than the one at Disney-MGM Studios. The theatre itself was very detailed, both inside and out. What's very interesting is that they host continuous performances all day, unlike the one at Disney-MGM Studios.

After the Mermaid Lagoon Theatre, we decided to visit Arabian Coast.

Lovely and grand Arabian Coast

Ornate detail

There, we decided to see the Magic Lamp Theatre. After waiting in the hot sun, we were led into a very nice preshow area and given 3-D glasses. Around us were screens themed to magical windows, and at the center of the room was a large basket. A rather odd animatronic snake appeared from this basket and began telling us the story. The screen around us changed and showed us how the Magic Lamp Theatre came to be. I thought it was very funny. You have an innocent boy who only wants to free the Genie, and then you have an evil magician who only wants to use the magic lamp to make him rich and famous. After the preshow, we were guided to the actual theatre. At the front of the theatre was a large stage. Even before we sat down, the show had already begun. A CM who played the part of the boy was already acting as if he was looking for the key to free the Genie. It seems that the magic lamp was locked in a chest. It was very entertaining. He walked up and down the stage and even interacted with the audience. Even I was asked if I had seen the key, or at least that's what I think he was asking. I simply shook my head. One of the audience members even went as far as giving him a real key, which excited the CM greatly as he took it and ran up the stage to try to unlock the chest. It was a funny sight and even though he was disappointed it wasn't the real key, he thanked the person anyways. I really enjoyed this show. It was unlike any 3-D show I had ever seen, combining both the traditional elements with live action.

After the Magic Lamp Theatre, we went to the Casbah Food Court for a quick lunch. The interior was very beautiful and contained 3 stalls. I ordered the Curry Sampler from the Flying Carpet Curry. It consisted of 3 different curries (chicken, lamb, and shrimp) served with rice and a piece of naam bread. I enoy Indian food greatly and felt it tasted very authentic. The curries were very flavorful and spicy. I thought it was one of the best curries I've ever had; it tasted better than the curries at real Indian restaurants.

Here is where I sat

Amazing ceiling above my table. Every restaurant in Tokyo DisneySea is elaborately themed and detailed.

My Curry Sampler dish

After a tasty lunch, we walked over to ride Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. We enjoyed it much more with the new score, but it seems like there aren't that many more guests visiting the attracion. I can't really guage the popularity of it since it was a very slow day and most E-ticket attractions had waits under 10 minutes.

After riding Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, I decided to walk over to Lost River Delta to ride Raging Spirits. For some reason, I really enjoyed this attraction now that it's a lot smoother. The queue was very well themed and detailed like the rest of Tokyo DisneySea's attractions. The ride itself was quite short, but enjoyable. I really liked the fire and water effects flowing down the temple. While on the ride, you dash very close to the ruins and past waterfalls, plus small bursts of fire as well. At night, the mist is colored blue and orange to simulate rushing through fire. Another interesting effect was the sound of ghostly winds as you travelled along the tracks. Overall, Raging Spirits was very well themed. I thought it was much better than Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril at Disneyland Paris.

Beautiful Raging Spirits exterior

After Raging Spirits, I decided to explore the Temple of the Crystal Skull. Had a great time like always. Overall, I liked it better than Disneyland's. The extra and improved special effects and the more detailed sets really enhance the experience.

Indiana Jones Adventure exterior- much better than Disneyland's

After looking for the Fountain of Youth in the Temple of the Crystal Skull, we went to Port Discovery to ride Aquatopia. For some reason, I really enjoyed riding it. It was very simple, but very fun!

After Aquatopia, we rode StormRider. After a great preshow, we headed into the observation chamber. Unlike last time, the English subtitles were not blocked when the missile was lowered during the preshow. I've heard people complain about the seams on the screen, but I think that they're supposed to represent the panes of glass. After all, we are viewing through the window of a plane. The special effects were top notch and made the experience more immersive than other simulators. The portholes were also very cool and realistic, changing images accordingly to the main screen. Overall, I thought it was more impressive than Soarin' over California.

After StormRider, we rode the DisneySea Electric Railway to American Waterfront. There, I bought a popcorn bucket (with the strap) filled with caramel popcorn. The bucket was decorated to the Summertime Cool event and had the Disney characters dressed in summer attire. After that, we walked back to Mediterranean Harbor and entered the Hotel MiraCosta. It was close to 2:30 p.m. by the time we entered our room, so we walked out onto the balcony to watch the Legend of Mythica. After another grand and excellent performance, we decided to rest for a bit before heading out to Tokyo DisneySea again.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Is there a second part to July 19th ?

On to the attraction, I've noticed that you get more airtime during the launched drop than you do on the final drop on Splash Mountain.
    I was surprised too on the amount of air time you get at the attraction finale. Amazing and was a perfect way to end a thrilling adventure. One of the best Disney thrill rides.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Is there a second part to July 19th ?
    Yes. Since it was a bit long, I decided to split it into 2 sections.

I was surprised too on the amount of air time you get at the attraction finale. Amazing and was a perfect way to end a thrilling adventure. One of the best Disney thrill rides.
    I absolutely agree!

TDR_FAN, have you ever ridden Journey to the Centre of the Earth at night? The darkness makes the finale even more thrilling!

My other favorite parts of the ride are the snakes/eels that glow in the dark near the start of the ride. Very simple, clever effect. We loved the noise they make! And the lightning scene really freaked me out...it's so loud. You can sometimes hear the screams from the other cars as you approach!

I do wish they added an on ride Photo though. I know why it could be problematic due to the car designs but an on ride photo of JTTCOTE is something I would love!

• Minion

TDR_FAN, have you ever ridden Journey to the Centre of the Earth at night? The darkness makes the finale even more thrilling!

My other favorite parts of the ride are the snakes/eels that glow in the dark near the start of the ride. Very simple, clever effect. We loved the noise they make! And the lightning scene really freaked me out...it's so loud. You can sometimes hear the screams from the other cars as you approach!

I do wish they added an on ride Photo though. I know why it could be problematic due to the car designs but an on ride photo of JTTCOTE is something I would love!
    I did ride it multiple times at night; in fact, I rode it over and over until park closing almost every night. I agree that the darkness makes the drop seem larger and more thrilling. And during the exit tunnel, the brief glimpse of Mysterious Island all lit up in various colors is such a pretty and amazing sight. It's even more surreal when it's raining.

The fiberoptic creatures in the tunnel are definitely interesting and whimsical. And the subterranean sea scene is very realistic and quite a sight; I always cover my ears when the lightning strikes though.

My personal favorite is the Crystal Cavern scene. It's so beautiful and immersive, with the dripping water and the tinkling sounds of the luminescent crystals.

Overall, I think Journey to the Center of the Earth is the best Disney attraction ever!

• Crazy Furry

Great trip report, the more I see TR's of TDL the more I really want to visit! While WDW was a enjoyable trip, TDR and TDS looks to be in a fantastic class of it's own!
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    While WDW was a enjoyable trip, TDR and TDS looks to be in a fantastic class of it's own!
    You can say that again!!! WDW is on a class of it's own as well, but not a good one.

• Minion

Yep. Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea sure are in a class of their own when it comes to Disney parks.

• Digging to Earth's center

Awesome TR, can't wait for the rest!
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast