Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Going to Tokyo Disney in December! (have lots of questions)

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Have you ever been pushed into the subway/JR like a sardine at 7am?
    Yep, it was crazy. What was even crazier was the day that the line to TDR was completely shut down due to three fires. After finding a lady carrying a pop corn bucket, she let us follow her to the subway. Once we got off at the nearest station from TDR it was a zoo. It took us almost an hour and a half just to leave the station. Then we spent the next two hours walking to TDR without a map. Luckly everyone was very helpful and it actually made the morning alot of fun seeing a different part of the area. Normally we left our hotel at about 6:30 and would get to TDR around 7:15. That day we left at 6:30 and got to TDR at about 11:00.

So, that is a risk you take when you stay off property. The Tokyo public transportation is very reliable. So reliable that if your train is late they actually give a pass to give your employer. But things happen.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I did the trains last time at about the times mention above but find them to be not to bad.This was also during the times mention above and coming from Shinjuku which is said to the the Worlds busiest.Maybe its not so bad going out of the station at that time of day or it could be that I'm use to it through traveling on the London Underground through the years when visiting London.

EVERYONE does much worst at WDW Queenie! There virtually is NO public transportation in Orlando taking you to WDW if you are staying off property! And while yes, you are sitting pretty in most areas of Tokyo due to their extensive and reliable train service... when you go to TDR, and have to get there by 7:45am to stake a place in line to enter the park quickly.... the farther yoou are from it, the more rush hour pedestrian traffic you have to endure to get there... Have you ever been pushed into the subway/JR like a sardine at 7am? I have, and I don't like it. Reason why I advise folks going to TDR to stay closer to the resort.

I'm talking about transportation within WDW--forget about getting in from off property without a car. Traveling from one hotel to another for dinner can easily take an hour.

I've traveled from Shinagawa to TDR both by train and by shuttle bus in the morning and made pretty good time in spite of the bustle. By train we took the Shinkansen into Tokyo station--it was practically empty because no one in their right mind would do this without a rail pass. Then we took the train to Maihama--not too bad, probably because we were going against the morning rush. The shuttle bus ran a bit later in the morning but made good time. All in all, in my mind this is a far better commute than, say, getting from Wilderness Lodge to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner.

#3. Plane fares tend to be running around $1100 - $1500 per person flying from where we live (Orlando) for the week of Dec 9 - 16, it looks pretty standard but are there any deals I should know about? (besides the obvious "check expedia, travelocity and orbitz" ) Im really not sure if these are ordinary fares, good deals or a complete rip off, I've never flown outside the US...

Do check Japanese travel agencies such as JALPAK and IACE for plane fares. We saved enough on plane fares to pay for our rail passes.

• Banned User

Queenie, you live in Orlando? What a coincidence..

Queenie, you live in Orlando? What a coincidence..
    Pittsburgh.

• Minion FOREVER!

We just stayed at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel (we just got back two days ago).

From Shinagawa, you take the Yamanote JR line to Tokyo station and then on the Keiyo line to Maihama (where TDR is). If everything happens right away, it's a 27 minutes trip; the hotel told me that it takes around 40 minutes normally. (we were completely lucky. we didn't wait at all for either train and we walked very fast from the Yamanote to the Keiyo platform...
    it was non-rush hour).

All in all, it compares favorably (very IMHO) to WDW's buses. If you want to minimize the
    time spent on trains or simplify the trip, I would stay somewhere near the Keiyo line.

As for the language issue, it simply was not an issue even to the non-japanese
    speaking people that I travelled with. Many signs were in english.
    (in fact I was shocked at how much in Tokyo). And many people spoke or at least
    understood english. (at least in Tokyo; english fluency was less as you get farther
    out, but way better than say 20 or even 15 years ago).

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I too had a very short waiting time for the trains too.The transportation in Tokyo can't be beat.

nish221 how was your time at Disney?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12