Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to Tokyo Disney in December! (have lots of questions)

My fiancee and I are heading out to Tokyo Disney for the 1st time in early December and I've got lots of questions. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated-

This is our 1st trip to Tokyo, and we've got NO IDEA how to get around the city. I know rail is their primary transport and I know it's relatively easy to get to the Resort from most areas around Tokyo. Neither of us speaks Japanese, but I've heard that they're usually accomodating and communication is easy. So here are the questions-

#1. Hotels in areas not near the resort seem MUCH cheaper (Im willing to spend $150-$200 on a nice hotel, but the on property hotels are steeper than that). I would like it to be easy to get to and from the resort via bus or rail (10 or 15 mins travel time each way), any suggestions?

#2. We'd like to see the city/landmarks as well, is there any easy way to make sense of the mess of rail lines there and use them easily? Any good tour companies that speak English would help too.

#3. Plane fares tend to be running around $1100 - $1500 per person flying from where we live (Orlando) for the week of Dec 9 - 16, it looks pretty standard but are there any deals I should know about? (besides the obvious "check expedia, travelocity and orbitz" ) Im really not sure if these are ordinary fares, good deals or a complete rip off, I've never flown outside the US...

We'd like to keep costs under $5000 for a week long trip, here is my makeshift budget so far-
    $1200 X 2 Plane Tickets = $2400
    $150 X 6 Hotel Nights = $900
    $200 X 2 Misc Transportation = $400
    $150 X 2 Disney Magic 4 Day = $300
    $60 X 7 Days Food = approx $400
    Total - $4400

We'd be spending the rest on day trips into the city (maybe going to a few other theme parks too) And the rest is MERCH!- which is why I need to keep costs down everywhere else

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Going to Tokyo Disney in December! (have lots of questions)

For hotels I recomend you check out Tokyo Disney Resort Partner Hotels and Good Neighbour Hotels http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...hotel/ptn.html
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...hotel/gnh.html
    I'm actually going to be staying at the Kieo Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku which is a Good Neighbour Hotel but is quite a distance from the Resort.But as you can see quite a few hotels are closer and offer complimentary shuttle service.

Sunrise Tours seem to be quite good at tours for Japan http://www.jtbgmt.com/sunrisetour/index_2007.html

One good thing about traveling around Tokyo by rail is that the station names are written in Roman letters. I would carry a map of the rail system since the maps at the stations themselves are often in kanji.

One train line to know is the JR Keiyo line. It's the only that goes from Tokyo to Maihama (the stop at TDR). The JR Yamanote is the loop line that encircles Tokyo. But I don't want to confuse you any more right now.

If you want some information about Japan, I would look at the Japan National Tourist Organization: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/. You can even get free maps, city information mailed to you in advance.

For getting around buy this. It is essential if you are leaving TDR property.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokyo-City-Atl...6410115&sr=8-1

Great recommendation kustomboy. I've lived here for 13 years. I always have the mapbook on hand. It is now in its 3rd edition. I remember buying the 1st edition, then the 2nd! LOL!

Just remember that the book focuses on central Tokyo and central Yokohama only. It doesn't cover other Japanese cities.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'm actually going to be staying at the Kieo Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku which is a Good Neighbour Hotel but is quite a distance from the Resort.But as you can see quite a few hotels are closer and offer complimentary shuttle service.
    The Keio Plaza is too far from TDR. Convenient if you are there to go see Tokyo, but not a good choice for TDR. I also do not care much for Shinjuku area so I would not recommend that hotel or location.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The Keio Plaza is too far from TDR. Convenient if you are there to go see Tokyo, but not a good choice for TDR. I also do not care much for Shinjuku area so I would not recommend that hotel or location.
    For the next time I travel to Japan, would you recommend staying in the Shinagawa area if I wanted to travel to TDR and Tokyo?

• Banned User

Well... Shinagawa is more convenient to TDR than Shinjuku, but I have never stayed in hotels in that area and am not familiar with that area of town. Personally, I would not go any farther from TDR than Shinbashi, since you can make quick connections to Keiyo line from there. The Conrad Hilton is also one of the best hotels in that area, close to Ginza and some points of interests like Shiodome, where Lion King Broadway show plays nearby, and Odayba is just a quick and panoramic train ride away from that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Ray View Post
    For the next time I travel to Japan, would you recommend staying in the Shinagawa area if I wanted to travel to TDR and Tokyo?
    We stayed in the Shinagawa area twice and really liked the area and its proximity to other locations. It's a very western business district from what I can tell so we ran into many English speaking people. We stayed in two different hotels, the New Takanawa Prince and the Shinagawa Prince. Both were nice. The New Takanawa Prince is a good neighbor hotel (or something) and had a free shuttle to TDR (about 45 minutes). The New Takanawa is about a 5-10 minute walk to the train station. It is on the top of a hill so consider that into your walk.

The Shinagawa Prince had smaller rooms (but most are in Japan) but its location and amenities were very nice. It is basically across the street from the train station. If you are not crazy about Japanese food in Shinagawa there is an Outback Steakhouse, McDonald's and TGI Friday's.

Like I said, we loved Shinagawa and will stay there again. Some people complain about its distance to TDR but for the cost savings (we got a smokin' rate for the Shinagawa Prince through Orbitz.com) it made the trip possible. So I figure if I need to spend 40 minutes getting to TDR instead of 20 to make the trip happen than that's what I'm going to do.

Shinagawa was about 12 minutes to Tokyo Station, 8 to Shibuya, 12 to Harajuku and 21 to Shinjuku if you are planning on moving around the city.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Well thats the point I'm hoping to spend more time this time visiting places of interest like Mt Fuji and a tour of Tokyo.The hotel is a convinient stop,and caters well to westerners.I will be checking out the Resort on a couple of days just to check out the Halloween Event and Tokyo Disney Seas.Hopely if I return next year for the 25th I would stay somewhere a bit closer to the Resort,and have been checking out qoutes online through Expedia,but sadly I'm not sure at the mo if the 25th Anniversary is going to be worth a return trip.

Besides the distance from the Resort doesn't bother me as its no further than what the locals have to travel to get to the park and its no differnt to staying on International Drive in Orlando and wanting to get to WDW.
    Last edited by Malin; 08-06-2007 at 12:33 PM.

• Banned User

I would never ever stay on International Drive. Ghetto...ghetto.

Well... Shinagawa is more convenient to TDR than Shinjuku, but I have never stayed in hotels in that area and am not familiar with that area of town. Personally, I would not go any farther from TDR than Shinbashi, since you can make quick connections to Keiyo line from there. The Conrad Hilton is also one of the best hotels in that area, close to Ginza and some points of interests like Shiodome, where Lion King Broadway show plays nearby, and Odayba is just a quick and panoramic train ride away from that area.
    I am visiting Tokyo in November, and just found out here that Lion King Broadway is playing in Tokyo. We have always wanted to watch this broadway at other locations but did not manage to get tickets. Want to try if better luck in Tokyo. I tried google for more information but could not find any. Do you have information on the tickets and the venue? Is the show is English?

Thanks.

• Banned User

I have seen the theater where it plays... It's nearby Shiodome, but do not knwo the name of the venue. However, I have not seen the show here (or anywhere) and can not tell you further, but I believe it may be in Japanese based on some promotional material I have seen of it.

JoeInJpn is the person to ask, and you can send him a PM here thru Micechat. He may know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Ray View Post
    Shinagawa is a good place to stay. At least a couple of the hotels there offer shuttle service to Disney and it's also near a major train station so you can get to Disney relatively easily that way, too. No more than a 40-minute commute, I should think--I've done much worse at WDW.

• Banned User

EVERYONE does much worst at WDW Queenie! There virtually is NO public transportation in Orlando taking you to WDW if you are staying off property! And while yes, you are sitting pretty in most areas of Tokyo due to their extensive and reliable train service... when you go to TDR, and have to get there by 7:45am to stake a place in line to enter the park quickly.... the farther yoou are from it, the more rush hour pedestrian traffic you have to endure to get there... Have you ever been pushed into the subway/JR like a sardine at 7am? I have, and I don't like it. Reason why I advise folks going to TDR to stay closer to the resort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast