• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

TDL may be loosing its crown as king of special events

So in case you havn't heard yet Hong Kong Disneyland is starting to model itself very closely on what the Tokyo Disney Resort does in the way of special events.Up until this summer we havn't seen anything to get to excited about but now after enjoying video of this Summers Mickey's Waterworks Parade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCg0_hm2Tc and hearing positive word of mouth from all who have watched this parade in person,I'm starting to think Hong Kong Disneyland gets it.

More evidence of this can be found in the latest press release from Hong Kong Disneyland regarding what it is planning for Halloween this year,which thanks to our good friends over at hkdlsouce.com can be found here http://www.news.hkdlsource.com/story/197 Now we've already discussed in great detail what Tokyo Disneyland will be up to this year.This leads me up to my question of which event do you think sounds the most exciting.As much as I love TDR I have to say it looks like Hong Kong Disneyland is taking the crown this Halloween.And should OLC start to be worried here I know of a lot of Japanese who have already visited the park.The attraction of visiting Hong Kong itself and a trip to the park to check out the newest special event could be enough to make many re consider that vacation to Tokyo Disney Resort.

Your Throughts!

And by the way please check out the Hong Kong Disneyland section of the forum as someone has posted some great shots of what the new Haunted Hotel on Main Street will look like. http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...61#post2083361
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Re: TDL may be loosing its crown as king of special events

The title of "king of special events" is certainly subjective. I don't see why OLC should worry about losing that title, if they ever thought they had it. Sure, lots of Japanese go to HKDL but those same Japanese come to TDL often anyway. The other parks are not necessarily seen as competition to Tokyo. For many many years, Japanese have been visiting the US parks but Tokyo hasn't suffered.

Sure, TDR's events in the last year or two have been repetitive, or not as imaginative as previous years. But that is a result of a few things, too many new events, reserving budget for other projects (building attractions, hotels), and leaving the big events for the anniversaries (TDS 5th, TDL 25th), etc.

Lots of these are because of OLC's decisions and gambles with certain events and campaigns. In terms of being "king of special events", that just depends on the guests who watches them. HKDL's lineup this year certainly looks exciting and fun. But let's see how long they can sustain the level of entertainment to keep guests coming.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• The Darkness to Light

I agree with Joe. The title of "king of special events" is very subjective.

Yes, TDL does have a history of throwing better special events than most parks, but that doesn't mean they are always going to be the very best in those kind of events. Unique? Yes. The best? Up for debate.

I've never seen the Water Works parade until now, and I like it better than Goofy's Cool Panic. HKDL took what Goofy's Cool Panic was and expanded it. It's no different than how I feel TDS will do "A La Cart," which by all text I read is nothing more but their version of the food and wine fests that happens in the Domestic Disney parks.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Shubisha

love the floats for waterworks. i like a few of tokyo's water parade soundtracks a lot more though.

• Minion

I would just like to explain that most on here consider TDR the very best at pulling of special events.And its why I titled them the kings when it comes to special events.It wasn't meant to mean too much and I'd apreciate people not putting to much into it,its just a title I made up for this thread and not an actual statement.I'm not going to start having debates about which park pulls of the best events because we already know who it is and its not open to debate in my opinion.

Thanks by the way for the in put so far guys,interesting coments.The whole point of me starting this thread is to point out that the quality of the special events at Hong Kong Disneyland are at the minute improving greatly,while at the same time the events at the TDR are on a decline.On paper atleast the Halloween event at HKDL looks much better than what TDL will be offering this year.

Now there is the argument that OLC are putting more money into hotels,attractions and anniversary's,but when you look at the cost of an Annual Passport,myself personally I would like a bit more of an efort to be put into the seasonal events.Especially when you compare the price of a AP to what Hong Kong Disneyland is currently offering.

• Banned User

I for one am very happy that HKDL is modeling itself after TDR, and why shouldn't they? Not only are they trying to creat a loyal fan homebase, they are certainly doing it's best to create buzz in the travel industry in that region. I loved "Waterworks" and yes it is worthy of being presented at TDL. But frankly, even with all of the hoopla surrounding HKDL's special events.. the park is still far from creating a special event that encompasses as much as TDR's events try to create. But it is certainly a good start for HKDL, and I for one, support them. I already commented on having park specific merchandise like their current 2nd anniversary line, and new summer parade.. and my photos from that park will go up by saturday.

• Minion

The Hong Kong trip report that TDLFAN has mention is already up over in the Hong Kong Disneyland section of this site.And after viewing both of his trips to Tokyo and than his latest to Hong Kong I just can't help but think a lot of my points are valid.

Mickey's Waterworks Parade easily tops anything thats been presented at TDR this year.With maybe the exception of the new night time shows.Also not only is this summer parade on going but also all the props,decorations and character meet and greets from the Pirateland event is still happening.Another feature I love about this park that you can have your pic taken with Mickey in his seasonal or event costume.Something that TDR doesn't offer.

TDLFAN update also showed a lot of tourist visiting from Japan,while I'm sure there will visit both Resorts this summer the cost of a trip to Hong Kong plus accomendation and the purchasing of the huge merchadise lines and food will take a hit on TDR for sure.No ones made of money unless your TDR_FAN of course

• You have much to learn...

I hope to go for next years TDL Halloween, since I'll be missing it by about a week this year. I've watched a few of Joe's videos of the shows and parades for past events & they do look like they do a great job.

Hong Kong does need more there to draw crowds to the parks regularly, so it's a good thing they are going all out this year for Halloween- it's a start.

Like what's been said about Tokyo, budgeting money for other projects, I hope they don't start lacking in quality. It was years before I finally made it overseas to Tokyo- my first visit was in 2004 & I loved it so much I've been back each year since. But what they do in Japan is still loads better than what goes on in the US parks.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    .And after viewing both of his trips to Tokyo and than his latest to Hong Kong I just can't help but think a lot of my points are valid.
    Yeah, whatever..

TDLFAN update also showed a lot of tourist visiting from Japan,while I'm sure there will visit both Resorts this summer the cost of a trip to Hong Kong plus accomendation and the purchasing of the huge merchadise lines and food will take a hit on TDR for sure.No ones made of money unless your TDR_FAN of course
    Correction! I think I made it clear that the girls I saw wth TDR merchandise on them were CHINESE guests, who apparently went to TDR this summer as well... I know that because I heard them screaming out to the characters and talking among themselves in cantonese.

• Minion

In which pic did you make it clear there were Chinese guests as I must of miss this,as this pic refers to them as Tokyo fans http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...741&p=75800345

While this one is also the same http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...741&p=75800451

I apologise for the error,but I'm still happy to see so many Tokyo Disney Resort fans out in Hong Kong Disneyland enjoying the new parade,despite where there come from.
    Last edited by Malin; 08-24-2007 at 07:49 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Hong Kong does need more there to draw crowds to the parks regularly, so it's a good thing they are going all out this year for Halloween- it's a start.

Like what's been said about Tokyo, budgeting money for other projects, I hope they don't start lacking in quality. It was years before I finally made it overseas to Tokyo- my first visit was in 2004 & I loved it so much I've been back each year since. But what they do in Japan is still loads better than what goes on in the US parks.
    Agree the main reason Hong Kong Disneyland is doing the big Tokyo Disney Resort style events is because it took such a hamering from Ocean Park last year.

As for TDR using funds for other projects its got me just a bit worried the money is being used on the wrong things.But I don't know is long term growth better than short term growth!