• Minion

Haunted Mansion Refurb?

Now that both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom have advanced and 21st century versions of the Haunted Mansion, do you think that Tokyo Disneyland will soon follow in this trend? I love the original classic and all, but it's starting to feel a bit dated. Several changes like what the Magic Kingdom's got would be perfect for Tokyo Disneyland, especially the new bride and floating Leota head.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Sock Puppet

Re: Haunted Mansion Refurb?

I have never felt like the attraction was dated, but the changes at Disneyland did not intrude on the show at all. These were good changes, as opposed to the PotC ones.

TDL will probably follow their lead, but in the end it doesn't really matter if they don't. The Haunted Mansion is timeless.

• When Will It Return?

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call one Mansion '21st century' and another not simply because Leota's head doesn't float, and the bride doesn't talk. The changes have been relatively minor and Tokyo's Mansion isn't suffering from the same kind of neglect as WDW's Mansion was. That being said, if those changes were to be installed in Tokyo's Mansion, it would only take a few months of Mansion being closed, and that has happened more than once before. I guess we'll see once this year's HMH Nightmare is removed.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Loves Mickey!

After riding the WDW one yesterday I really hope so but wonder if it will happen anytime soon. I think it will eventually happen but that it's just a matter of time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I think it's a bit of a stretch to call one Mansion '21st century' and another not simply because Leota's head doesn't float, and the bride doesn't talk. The changes have been relatively minor and Tokyo's Mansion isn't suffering from the same kind of neglect as WDW's Mansion was. That being said, if those changes were to be installed in Tokyo's Mansion, it would only take a few months of Mansion being closed, and that has happened more than once before. I guess we'll see once this year's HMH Nightmare is removed.

-- PMM
    I suspect it wouldn't take a few months like the Magic Kingdom's version. Disneyland had their version refurbed right after Haunted Mansion Holiday if I remember correctly and was done in a few weeks. The Magic Kingdom's version was in very poor condition with many effects broken, so I'm guessing that's why the refurb took over 2 months.

On the official website for Tokyo Disneyland, it says that Haunted Mansion will be closing from January 14, 2008 - February 16, 2008. Now I'm not positive, but that seems longer than the usual time it takes to remove all the Holiday Nightmare decorations in the attraction.

• Shubisha

Disneyland had some stuff done in an extra week following their holiday, but the whole attic scene came during the month of April that year if I remember right. There was the whole 2 weeks of purple sheets everybody got obsessed with and then the bride was put in.

But that just means they're capable of doing this during normal operation of the ride as long as they've planned properly.4

• Minion

Just did some research and found out that the Haunted Mansion was closed from January 9, 2007- January 22, 2007 last year. So they are getting a bit more than 2 weeks this year for their refurb. How intriguing.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The effects and scenes at Disneyland were updated over the course of a few years. Madam Leota's head was floating for an entire year before the bride started whacking off heads. The effects may be well adjusted, but even a month seems quite quick.

• When Will It Return?

We should also keep in mind that Disneyland's Mansion is done yet with its updates. A subtle new effect was very recently installed where the hitchhiking ghosts now react to your movements as you see both of you in the mirror.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Now that both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom have advanced and 21st century versions of the Haunted Mansion, do you think that Tokyo Disneyland will soon follow in this trend? I love the original classic and all, but it's starting to feel a bit dated. Several changes like what the Magic Kingdom's got would be perfect for Tokyo Disneyland, especially the new bride and floating Leota head.
    I'm sure TDR will follow suit by adding the new efects soon. In fact it would be nice for them to be added over the next refurb just in time for the 25th Anniversary. I too would like them to add the new Jungle Cruise efects that Disneyland updated for that attraction during the 50th. We've seen updates done to POTC and Space Mountain this year, so it may be in the plans.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'm sure TDR will follow suit by adding the new efects soon. In fact it would be nice for them to be added over the next refurb just in time for the 25th Anniversary. I too would like them to add the new Jungle Cruise efects that Disneyland updated for that attraction during the 50th. We've seen updates done to POTC and Space Mountain this year, so it may be in the plans.
    Perhaps Splash Mountain will be getting some new effects since it's down for several months.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Who knows only thing is Splash Mountain is so perfect anyway what more could be done to enhance it.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Who knows only thing is Splash Mountain is so perfect anyway what more could be done to enhance it.
    Agreed.

• Banned User

Well.. TDL's mansion is now offering the Nightmare overlay... which is more than I can say for WDW. I shall check the MK's refurb-ed ride tomorrow.. and see what the big deal is about.

I don't see why the TDL mansion could not be updated. If they already have the nightmare overlay it would not take much.