Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Back home :-(

Budget for travelling to TDL/TDS?

My husband and I are thinking of taking our tax return next year and putting it towards a trip to Tokyo or Paris (since we've always wanted to go to both). Neither of us read or speak Japanese (though I'd try and take a course before we go so I can at least keep us out of trouble ), but we're still thinking of travelling out there.

What is a reasonable budget (we've been students for the last 4 years, so we can live on a budget and we don't need super fancy accomodations - seriously, a Japanese version of Motel 6 would be fine!) for hotel, food and TDL/TDS (2 days at each) and transportation around Toyko? As for airfare, we'll just grab whatever is cheapest. Also, what is the best time (i.e., off season) to travel to Tokyo?

Re: Budget for travelling to TDL/TDS?

Hi

I haven't been to Tokyo yet but to sleep the Japaneese Style Hotel inside Tokyo is cheap . Some hotels in tokyo are Cheap and you can use the Subway to get there from your Hotel to Tokyo Disney Resort .

I Want to go to Tokyo Disney Resort but i'll wait a few years .
    HKDL : Done !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegarooFifi
    My husband and I are thinking of taking our tax return next year and putting it towards a trip to Tokyo or Paris (since we've always wanted to go to both). Neither of us read or speak Japanese (though I'd try and take a course before we go so I can at least keep us out of trouble ), but we're still thinking of travelling out there.

What is a reasonable budget (we've been students for the last 4 years, so we can live on a budget and we don't need super fancy accomodations - seriously, a Japanese version of Motel 6 would be fine!) for hotel, food and TDL/TDS (2 days at each) and transportation around Toyko? As for airfare, we'll just grab whatever is cheapest. Also, what is the best time (i.e., off season) to travel to Tokyo?
    My suggestions:

Leave time to see Tokyo--it's worth it, trust me.

Forget about a really cheap hotel--they won't know how to cope with tourists--and go for a mid-range hotel that does cater to tourists. I recommend the New Takanawa Prince in Shinagawa.

You don't have to stay really close to Disney because the trains are so efficient. It can be easier to travel across Tokyo by train than to travel across Disney World by bus.

When you get to Tokyo for the first time, pay for an airport shuttle to take you to your hotel. This is not the moment to learn how to use the train system. Do that in the morning when you're fresh.

Stay away from fancy places and western food and you'll do just fine when it comes to food. Tokyo has an eatery about every six inches all over the city and there are many convenience stores to pick up yogurt and such. the fast food at the Disney resort (didn't try full service) was excellent and priced more reasonably than the food at WDW. Beef is very expensive, learn to enjoy the excellent seafood.

Don't buy your air fare directly from the airline or from a regular travel site. There's some weirdness with international tickets that makes it much cheaper to get them from a consolidator. I've had luck with IACE.

Plan about $800 each for air fare, $200 a night for hotel, $35 each for airport shuttle each way. Other transportation will vary depending on how much you wander. Many hotels have free shuttle service to Disneyland. You can eat comfortably for around $30 a day each, more if you want to get fancy.

There is a wealth of information at the laughingplace community boards provided by excellent posters such as TDLFan, Mr X, MagicalNezumi, and others. I visited Tokyo and the resort a while ago and found the information they provided to be spot on. So have a look, pull out the search option, and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

The best advice I can give to save money is to find a 100 yen store I stayed with family out around Nippori station and there were quite a few of these stores which offered *way* better quality stuff than any of the dollar stores on this side of the Pacific.

:P I've been given flak from my Japanese relatives for my naive praise of 100 Yen Stores. haha anyway, my brother and his wife have laughed quite a bit about my fondness for the stores and have said it should be a last resort. Much like the dollar stores here aren't all that practical.

• Banned User

The 100 yen stores are a heaven for crew members working flights into Japan. You find some many interesting gadgets and gizmo that we don't have in the USA, it's amazing!!! Plus, the 100 yen stores have helped me out of ruts cheaply... One time I needed a new pair of underwear when my trip suddenly and unexpectedly extended an extra day. It was nice buying a pair of jockeys for less than a $1.

Cool Re: Budget for travelling to TDL/TDS?

I took my family to Tokyo this past July and enjoyed it and here are some tips:
    1. Tokyo is VERY expensive. As mentioned before, try to eat at non-Western places to save some money. Meat is very expensive in Japan. I remember seeing a steak starting at $80 (and this was at an inexpensive restaurant).
    2. You might want to check out JAL for package deals. I saw that they are offering an air/hotel package starting at roughly $1000. One of the hotels that is offered is the New Takanawa Prince Hotel. We stayed at the old Takanawa Prince Hotel (which was just across the courtyard). The main benefit, since you are also visiting Tokyo Disney Resort, is that they offer a free Disney-sponsored shuttle to the Resort three times a day. That saves you a LOT of money having to take alternate transportation. This JAL package is quite a deal. Considering that the airfare can run you around $800-1000 roundtrip, and the hotel can run you $200/night, a five-night package for roughly $1000 to $1100 is a BARGAIN. The Prince Hotel line is a very nice resort line. They have three very nice hotels in the Shinagawa area that I visited... the Takanawa Prince, the New Takanawa Prince and the Shinagawa Tower Prince (I believe that is the name). What is nice about the last one is that it is perhaps the most Western-style in terms of what if offers. There is a new Epson water-themed park built right there (it wasn't open at the time we were there), there are a number of Western restaurants close by (TGI Fridays, Outback and the old stand-by, McDonalds), and plenty of other restaurants to choose from. It also has a two-level bowling alley that had, I think, 80 lanes!
    3. Once you arrive there, do take the airport limousine bus to your hotel. It'll cost you roughly $30, and they take you to your hotel. You're probably going to stop at other motels depending on its route, but it is cheaper than a taxi (that can run $200 to $300 for a one-way trip). There are different routes leaving at different times, so you have to make sure that you're taking the right one.
    4. Electronics are neat, but only buy something that is unique to Japan and will not be released in the U.S. If they will be released here, you'll find it cheaper at places such as Best Buy. If it is unique, make sure you get the version that will work in the U.S. with the electrical current. Although we can use our products there, we cannot use their products here without downconverting our electrical current. Also, if you buy DVDs, make sure that they are Region Free.
    5. You'll find a lot of paper-related and food souvenirs at the park. The Japanese culture loves giving souvenirs to friends upon their return from a trip (or visiting them), and you'll see that stores will individually wrap them, or, in the case of the Disney parks, give you individual bags in your main purchase.

If you want further info, email me.
    Last edited by ValenciaJoe; 08-17-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The 100 yen stores are a heaven for crew members working flights into Japan. You find some many interesting gadgets and gizmo that we don't have in the USA, it's amazing!!! Plus, the 100 yen stores have helped me out of ruts cheaply... One time I needed a new pair of underwear when my trip suddenly and unexpectedly extended an extra day. It was nice buying a pair of jockeys for less than a $1.
    Um......weird question: WHY did you need new underwear?

• Banned User

I think I provided the answer to your question in the quote you used.

For accomodation, I recommend the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan http://www.katsutaro.com/annex_index.html

My wife & I stayed there in October last year and will be staying there Nov this year. The rooms are Japanese style - futons on tatami mats - but very comfortable and bigger than most "western" style rooms you are likely to find in Japan. And don't worry - all rooms include a western style toilet in the bathroom.

You also get free broadband in your room.

The cost, for a large Japanese style room is 12600 yen per night, which would be around US$115 per night.

To get there from the airport, you can just catch the Skyliner express to Nippori, and then it is about a 10 minute walk to the ryokan.

Nippori station is on the main train line and is only a short trip away from Tokyo station where you can change to the line which takes you to Disneyland.

• Minion FOREVER!

ValenciaJoe is basically correct. As a whole Tokyo is quite expensive, but if you're not
    picky, you can save some money. (In fact, there are ways so that Tokyo can be cheaper
    than for example NYC).

* Eat Japanese food. Don't do McD or steak. Beef is super expensive in Japan.
    On the other hand, curry is usually very cheap. Fish is cheap and fresh.
    * Often staying at ryokans can be cheaper esp if you're willing to get out of central
    Tokyo.
    * Definitely use the 100yen stores.
    * Use subway/local trains. All stations have english signs. They are extremely
    punctual and inexpensive. But if you're unfamiliar w/ Tokyo, then I also
    would recommend the "limo" from Narita Airport to your hotel.
    * The place/district for electronics is Akihabara, but I second what ValenciaJoe said:
    just buy unique stuff & make sure it'll work in US

• Gay Man

Let's see. A quick down a dirty of our recent trip.

Airfare $550
    Hotel $190 (VERY nice hotel in Shinjuku very close to the station)
    Disney tickets $80 (for 2 consecuative days)
    Food: Food was CHEAP! We ate Japanese the entire time and our nicest meal was $50 pp. Most meals were around $10 - even some very nice seafood meals.

Buying other stuff is expensive. Don't expect to save money on electronics, clothing (if you find anything that fits), shoes, etc. There are some great stores beyond 100 Yen such as Tokyo Hands and Don Quixote where you can find wonderfully unique things.

The two sites I've linked to above are also worth exploring.

The trains didn't seem like much, but it was a couple of dollars each time, so I'm sure it added it. We didn't get a rail pass or anything and rail was the ONLY menthod of transportation we used. But, we were close to a big station with connections all over. That was so worth it.

Also, try and visit the Ghibli museum. Great place!

I've also been to Paris a couple of times and found that, overall, it costs just about the same - but the options are different.

• Minion FOREVER!

By the way, Welcome back, Not Afraid!
    Domo Arigato for the pics! (esp. Ghibli)

• Gay Man

Thanks!

You know, both Paris and Tokyo are such great destinations beyond just the Disney connection, I'm not sure which one I recommend more. Though, I can't wait to see more of Tokyo since I've been there once and Paris twice.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    Thanks!

You know, both Paris and Tokyo are such great destinations beyond just the Disney connection, I'm not sure which one I recommend more. Though, I can't wait to see more of Tokyo since I've been there once and Paris twice.
    Hong Kong is probably the best international city next to a Disney Resort. It's vibrant and just absolutely gorgeous. Great shopping and sights. You *gotta* do HK Ms. Not Affraid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast