Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Malin's TDR Trip Report

Day 1

17th -18th of September.

I woke up around 5.00 am at the Jury’s Inn hotel that I had stayed the night at in Heathrow in order to get to the Airport in plenty of time for my 1.00 pm flight to Narita Airport in Tokyo. After checking in I walked straight over to the departure lounge to get a bite to eat and have a look around the shops, including picking up a plug adapter to use once in Japan to charge up by video camera.

Around 11.30 am we were all called through to the departure gate. Around 12.00 pm we were all boarded on to the plane in preparation for our take off from London. Unfortunately around 1.00 pm the Captain came of the PA system to inform everyone that they would be a 1 hr delay due to something on the plane needing to be replaced. What I couldn’t work out here if there was a problem with the plane why did we all get boarded an hour early. Surely we would of been better of sat in the departure lounge rather than stuck on the plane for what turned out to be a two hour delay in the end. Next time I may have to go with British Airways instead of Virgin.

Finally we arrive 10.30 in Narita, it was than time to get my passport stamped and catch the Airport limousine service over to the Keio Plaza in Shinjuku. Journey took around 90 minutes and on the way we passed sights like the Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Tower. The hotel is situated just a 5 minute walk from Shinjuku Station and is opposite the Tokyo Govement Building, in fact I had a great view of the building from my room on the 19th floor. The hotel clerk was insistent he took my luggage to the room and upon arriving he rolled out slippers on the floor for me.

The next thing to do was to pack the camera and head on over to the Resort. I took the Chuo line over to Tokyo Station and transferred over to the Kieyo line for the rest of the trip. Arriving at the Resort I purchased a 1 day park ticket to Tokyo Disneyland, and was handed a English guide map by the Cast Member. My first stop was to get something to eat so I walked through World Bazaar and pass the castle viewing its new look and over to Tomorrowland where I picked up a Mickey Mouse shaped burger. Which was incredibly tasty. After washing that down with a coke, I decided to wonder the park and have a look at the all the new Halloween decorations including the famous Clip & Pale statues. It was coming up to an hour before the next parade and I wanted to grab a good spot along the parade route. I was situated along Frontierland where the Mickey float does its stop. I have to say I absolutely love this years Haunted Mansion theme. This parade also seem to get better on each viewing.

I had yet to check out the new POTC movie overlay at any of the other parks so I joined the 1 hr line. I was sat with a couple of cute Japanese girls in the front row, who seemed to have zero interest in the ride until one Captain Jack Sparrow made an appearance than out came all these cell phones and cameras. Personally I love the new additions as it has enhanced the ride and not taken anything away from it. And going by the long lines it also seems to be a hit with the Japanese audience.

Once leaving the attraction it was beginning to get dark and guest were beginning to line up around the Castle Forecourt for the Haunted Rockin’ Street. I decided to get a place interesting to note the park seem to be filming the parade most probarely for promotional use. I love the energy this show creates and consider it a step up to last years night time show. Sadly the view wasn’t the best but I did get to see the show from the third row later in the week so it wasn’t a total lost. Also interesting to note this follows the Bon Fire Dance by adding a lot of guest interaction. Which you could only take part in through a lottery system like with the seating.

I was starting to feel the time difference between Japan and the UK and decided to leave the park but not before purchasing the new Halloween CD and Mickey plush from Bon Voyage.
    Last edited by Malin; 10-03-2007 at 09:38 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Digging to Earth's center

Re: Malin's TDR Trip Report

Cool TR so far! Have any pics?
    I am a rabid Disney fan. Possible future Imagineer (already designing rides for it)... I've only been to Disneyland. I'm hoping to go to Disney World this summer for the first time, and TDR might be possible in 3 years.

First DL trip - 1997

First WDW trip - N/A

# of Times I've Been on Tower of Terror (DCA): 68

# of Times I've Been on Finding Nemo Subs:
    Argonaut - 1
    Sea Farer - 1

• Banned User

The Keio Plaza? Yuk. Malin, if you travel alone.. do yourself a favor and stay at the Hotel Universe in Kayabacho. Much closer to TDR, Ginza, Tokyo St, Odaiba, and very convenient train ride from the hotel's main entrance on the Hibiya line to Ueno, where you can catch the Keisei Skyliner or Limited Express train into Narita Airport, saving money in the process as opposed to taking the overpriced Limosine bus.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FinalAdventure View Post
    Cool TR so far! Have any pics?

I did take a few but split it between both a digital and a throw away cameras. So going to take them both down to be developed tomorrow and will probarely try and scan any worth while pics into this report later.

I'm actually suprised TDLFAN hasn't posted anything from his trip yet.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The Keio Plaza? Yuk. Malin, if you travel alone.. do yourself a favor and stay at the Hotel Universe in Kayabacho. Much closer to TDR, Ginza, Tokyo St, Odaiba, and very convenient train ride from the hotel's main entrance on the Hibiya line to Ueno, where you can catch the Keisei Skyliner or Limited Express train into Narita Airport, saving money in the process as opposed to taking the overpriced Limosine bus.
    I chose the Keio as it was part of a package I booked. Which included international and domestic flights, acomendation and transfers. But may take your recomendation into consideration on my next trip to Japan next year. Through I would still recomend the Keio Plaza as a good central hotel to stay at in Tokyo. Plus the staff all spoke excelent English and its listed as a TDR good nieghbour hotel, which meant it offered complimentry shuttle service to the parks and has the TDR information tv channel available in rooms.

• Sea Creature

Great stuff. Pictures?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I'm actually suprised TDLFAN hasn't posted anything from his trip yet.
    I am at home with my G-Fan and do not have time at the moment to load up 500 photos and caption them. Besides... I went to the MK's MNSSHP and will be at EPCOT Center tomorrow for their 25th... so quite frankly.. I am busy and doubt that I will post a report/photos on my trip soon, if at all, since you are all doing a great job at it. Since I will be at HKDL next week, I much rather report about that Halloween event instead since it has been less frequented by others.

Plus the staff all spoke excelent English and its listed as a TDR good nieghbour hotel, which meant it offered complimentry shuttle service to the parks and has the TDR information tv channel available in rooms.
    Hardly good reasons for me to stay in Shinjuku of all places (not my favorite part of Tokyo mind you) but if it makes you happy, then more power to you.

• Minion

Besides... I went to the MK's MNSSHP and will be at EPCOT Center tomorrow for their 25th... so quite frankly.. I am busy and doubt that I will post a report/photos on my
    And I must say I enjoyed going through your latest update on the Magic Kingdoms Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=32592726&f=0
    Last edited by Malin; 10-01-2007 at 06:46 AM.

• Minion

Hardly good reasons for me to stay in Shinjuku of all places (not my favorite part of Tokyo mind you) but if it makes you happy, then more power to you.
    Shinjuku is always a highly recomeded location to stay in Tokyo. Only reason I ever stay here but I'm always open to new ideas and will take your recomendations into consideration on booking the next trip out to the land of the rising sun.

• Minion

Just a quick update I was planning to continue my trip report tonight but sadly I'm out now due to it being a friends Birthday. However work has given me a day off tomorrow so I will have plenty of time tomorrow to continue this trip report.

Did you get the Treasures of Fantasy set?

• Minion

Sadly not kustomboy, I really wanted to, and it was available to buy in Bon Voyage but sadly your only given a certain wieght allowence on what you can bring with you on any given flight and as I was traveling on to Paris I held back on buying it. Shame but had I brought it I probarely would of had to pay extra, as my case was quite packed and heavy full of TDR and DLRP merchadise.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Sadly not kustomboy, I really wanted to, and it was available to buy in Bon Voyage but sadly your only given a certain wieght allowence on what you can bring with you on any given flight and as I was traveling on to Paris I held back on buying it. Shame but had I brought it I probarely would of had to pay extra, as my case was quite packed and heavy full of TDR and DLRP merchadise.
    I understand the problem, we bought so much stuff last time we had to buy an extra suit case and paid the extra cost for an additional suit case with the airline. Tokyo is just so full of amazing crap to buy (disney and non-disney).

• Minion

Day 2

September 19th 2007

I woke up kind of late today at 7.30 am due to in correctly setting the alarm to the wrong time, doh. I was hoping to be at the parks early today due to it being a free gift day. These events really bring out the crowds and after visiting Tokyo Disneyland on a similar day last year I knew it was wise to arrive early. After a quick shower I was on my way to Shinjuku train station which is a 5 minute walk from the Keio. With Japanís transportation being so good I arrived at the Resort about 8.30 to find a good crowd had already turned up. My first plan was to buy a 4 day park pass but was shocked to see how big the line was just to buy a ticket. After waiting about 20 minutes I joined the line to enter the park. Upon entering the park and receiving my free gift which was some kind of pin featuring Minnie I joined the line to get my picture taken with Pooh. Yep even at 26 years of age Iím still a big kid at heart.

After receiving my hug of Pooh bear I made my way over to the Winnie the Pooh attraction to pick up a Fast Pass for later in the afternoon. Time was ticking on so I made my way into the line for the Haunted Mansion to view the Nightmare before Christmas overlay. Line was about a 50 min wait. While in line the Halloween parade passed on through so we did have something to keep us entertained while waiting. I also enjoyed checking out all the event props and decorations. The actual ride is just as good as I remember it being through I do need to visit during the year at some point just too see the Mansion in its original state.

It was gone 11.00 am and a big thing for me is to always eat during non peak hours to avoid the crowds. As I was in Fantasyland I ended up going to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall and had a beef Pattie in tomato and brown sauce as well as the heart shaped strawberry moose for desert. After lunch it was time to continue with the days activities and made the decision to watch the Tiki Room show. I actually really enjoy this version of the show and the fact it was in doors in a air conditioned theatre just made things better.

I had really wanted to get a better view of the night time parade/show Rockiní Haunted Street and made my way over to Tomorrowland to try the lottery system. New this year was not only a chance to win seating to the show but you could also win a chance to be part of the show. The people in front of me had just won and I knew this had to cut my chances of going through and yeah it did as I lost. After my disappointment I needed something to cheer me up but by accident I stumbled into itís a Small World which just made me want to end it right there and than. Ok might be a slight OTT comment there. Popped by Toon Town to find the characters being mobbed with Donald and Daisy to scared to leave the backstage area. Also bumped into my old friend Roger Rabbit who I had thought was dead as I havenít seen him in years at any of the other parks.

During the late afternoon I took a break from TDL to check out Ikspiari, took a early dinner at the Rain Forrest Cafť which like many warned wasnít very good. Before heading back to the park.

It was beginning to get a bit dark and I made my way back through the park to ride Jungle Cruise, Riverboat and Pirates as well as get a seat to the last showing of Minnie Oh Minnie for the day. This show is just great and no other words can describe it. Personally the format isnít my cup of tea but I still love it.

I caught the fireworks and watched the Country Bears before leaving the park. I popped into Bon Voyage to buy a few gifts and left to catch my train. Tomorrow will be Tokyo Disney Seas, canít wait.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kustomboy View Post
    I understand the problem, we bought so much stuff last time we had to buy an extra suit case and paid the extra cost for an additional suit case with the airline. Tokyo is just so full of amazing crap to buy (disney and non-disney).
    Was that extra cost worth it, I know someone who's an autograph dealer and due to his location has to fly to the various Towns where the big shows are held with all his gear. He use to cheat the system by bringing his partner and her grandchild along. He'd do the shows while they went shopping.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast