Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking TDL and TDS which experiences are unmissable?

Hi everyone.

We are a family of four who will be visiting Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in early December.
    We took our girls to Disneyland (LA) when they were smaller and really wished we had stayed at a disney hotel. So this time we are staying at the Miracosta (and yes I know it's horribly expensive but I want my teenage girls to remember this trip forever)
    Now my question for all you experts is is there anything I need to know so we don't have any regrets? For example when we were in Disneyland I really liked the look of the restaurant in the pirates ride (I'm not imagining that am I?)
    My girls are probably too old for the character breakfast but is there anything else, or any other restaurant, we shouldn't miss? And if so should I book or arrange the priority seating? and how close to arrival should I do that?

Thanks everyone, your imput would really be appreciated.

• Minion

Re: TDL and TDS which experiences are unmissable?

You can start booking priority seating for restaurants as early as one month before your check-in date (6 months for hotel restaurants). You mentioned that you liked the Blue Bayou Restaurant in Disneyland, so you might want to try the one at Tokyo Disneyland (it's also inside Pirates of the Caribbean). Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall is another fabulous eatery (no reservations required), as are the S.S. Columbia Dining Room and Magellan's at Tokyo DisneySea (reservations recommended). And don't miss the BellaVista Lounge or Oceano in the MiraCosta either (reservations recommneded).
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• official corn dog taster

my last visit was in 2002...i spent most my time at disneysea...

dont miss mystic rhythms, its the best disney show i have seen (i may be bias, my ex was in that show for 9 months, my reason for visiting 2x in 02).

in disneyland, dont miss the winnie the pooh ride, best dark ride ever.

why cant OLM take over disney anehiem????? tds is (was) perfect, not a scratch on it when i was there.

oh, have a drink in the teddy rosevelt lounge in tds.

have fun, i wish i was going too!!
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

So if we would like breakfast early in the Bella Vista lounge after our first night should I book priority now? What time would you suggest we eat breakfast?
    Sorry if it seems I'm worrying but after all the talk of how packed the parks can get I would like to feel a little organised.
    Do I call the same number I called to book our rooms? and do they also handle park reservations?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    So if we would like breakfast early in the Bella Vista lounge after our first night should I book priority now? What time would you suggest we eat breakfast?
    Sorry if it seems I'm worrying but after all the talk of how packed the parks can get I would like to feel a little organised.
    Do I call the same number I called to book our rooms? and do they also handle park reservations?
    Don't worry. Even if the parks are crowded, you will have a blast. It is very manageable if you just stay calm and relaxed.

Breakfast (all you can eat buffet style) at the BellaVista Lounge starts at 7:00 a.m, so that is a good time to make a reservation for. The earlier you make your reservation, the better (or at least in my opinion). And yes, you do call the same number that you used to book the rooms. Be sure to stress that you are a guest at the MiraCosta, so that you get the privilege of making a reservation at one of its restaurants 6 months in advance.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Sock Puppet

See the shows at TDS. Almost every one is at the top of it's class from small performances in little corners of the park to the nighttime spectacular, compared to the lame offerings at the Disneyland Resort.

The park is brimming with more entertainment before noon than Disneyland and DCA do all day. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but if you're the kind of group that is all about rides and not sitting down and seeing a performance, drop this attitude at TDS.

No we are the kind of group that thinks rides are only one part of the experience which is why I am asking about meals and other things not to be missed.
    Coming from Australia the Disney experience is a once (or now lucky us a twice!) in a lifetime thing and we want to soak it all in.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    I am asking about meals and other things not to be missed.
    And I'm telling you the shows are not to be missed, unlike at the Disney Resort, where only Fantasmic! and Aladdin are worth watching.

• Bending Unit

The first time we went we rushed through TDS to do all the rides. When we got a chance to go back, we took our time and soaked in the atmosphere. Both had its benefits (we got to do all the rides first time!), but if you're only in DisneySea for one day, plan your day and use FastPasses.

As for unmissable experiences, I have not yet been on the new ToT or the revamped Space Mountain, so looking at the resort as a whole I would say: Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Pooh's Hunny Hunt are the unmissables. Then there is Splash Mountain, the new Space Mountain (because of its new shine), Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters (fun for all the family) and the new ToT.

Having been lucky to visit all but one of the Disney parks in the world I rate DisneySea as the best (personal opinion of course) and spend a lot of time there. I would certainly also take my time looking at all the shops. OLC who run Tokyo Disney Resort have managed to keep the uniqueness and differences between shops, which is makes for a 'true' Disney experience. It's all about immersion, and e.g. the shops on their version of Main Street are all distinct and not just one big Disney Store.

One tip: I was hard pressed to find a DisneySea t-shirt without a ride or characters, but ended up finding a lovely DisneySea hooded sweater in McDuck's Departments Store (American Waterfront).

If you're going in early December, you'll be visiting during the Christmas festivities so it should be a real treat! Both parks are absolutely beautiful during this season. There are also many special meals for the occasion at most of the restaurants so yes, definitely make priority reservations at the restaurants you want to go to.

I'll be visiting in middle of November so if I find some helpful info, I'll let you know.
    Have a great time!

In my opinion Ride Winnie The Pooh and check out the Mermaid land in TDS. That's got to be one of the most colorful and coolest lands I've seen.

• KotBR

TDL - Hunny Hunt, absolutely. It's the only one like it in the whole world.

I also suggest you take time to watch whatever parade and/or big show they have at the time; I went during the hot August stretch, and Cool The Heat was a welcome (and fun!) part of the day. From what I've seen of their other live offerings on YouTube and elsewhere, it seems a sure bet that you'll have a good time.

If you're a Disney nostalgic, the Country Bear Theater makes the list, as should the Mickey Mouse Revue.

TDS - Yes.

Sorry, let me elaborate. The entire experience of TDS is unmissable. Take your time and explore everything. I was blown away by the audacious scope of Mysterious Island, and the incredible detail of Mermaid Lagoon. The NY area of American Waterfront oozes olde-time "big-city" American charm, and the canals in Mediterranean Harbor just sing of Venice. There's a real jungle vibe in the Lost River Delta, and the Arabian Coast is just the way you'd imagine classic romantic Araby (as opposed to plain old mundane Arabia). That's just the lands themselves, to say nothing of the rides and shows found therein. [Port Discovery omitted through no fault of its own, but due to its future-leaning theme, there's no set imagery to compare it to.]

The Tower of Terror ride is themed unlike any other; on the strength of that alone, I'd ride it multiple times (and this from a guy who is admittedly afraid of heights). The live show Big Band Beat is a great great show (I'm very musically inclined though, so I know this is fiercely biased). Fortress Explorations is a personal favorite (I love the orrery so much it hurts), and it's "can't miss" for any renaissance fan. Journey to the Center of the Earth is well worth the (inevitable) wait. BraviSEAmo! was cancelled due to weather both times I tried to watch it, but from what I've seen online it looks quite artsy.

AND I notice (upon review :P) that you're staying at the Mira Costa! Explore that place as much as you can! I mean, really, when are you going to have another chance to wander that beautiful building?

• Sea Creature

If this is a one time experience, eat at either Ristorante Di Canaletto, Magellan's, or the S.S. Columbia dining room at DisneySea. All three are spectacular, you should try at least one.

Thankyou everyone, you really are helpful and I am so excited reading your recommendations!

Yes we are really lucky to be staying at the Miracosta

..cheapest rooms and even then I had to sell the dog to afford it, but when we went to Disney LA when the girls were small they looked at the Disney hotels with great longing and wanted to know if that was where the princesses stayed.
    So even if I have to eat instant ramen for the next two years maybe my girls will feel like they are the princesses for four days!

Oh...one bummer-
    Splash Mountain will be closed and it was our favourite last time. But on the plus side we have ridden it three times in California and at least it's not Pooh that will be closed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast