Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Just got back from my first trip (TDL)

First of all, THANK YOU to everybody here who posted questions and answers that helped me plan my trip. I knew this forum was an amazing resource, but I never knew it more than when I was actually at TDR putting it all into practice. THANK YOU!!

I wonít do a trip report because there have been so many awesome ones done before me and I doubt thereís much I could add. Instead, Iíll list some random thoughts and ideas.

About TDL:
    • Arriving an hour before opening, we went straight to Winnie the Pooh for a Fast Pass and then waited 10 minutes in the Standby line. Fast Pass was good 40-60 minutes after.
    • Ten seconds into Winnie the Pooh, my jaw dropped and stayed that way for the duration of the ride. And for the entirety of our subsequent 3 rides. Itís THAT good. After the fireworks, we booked it to Winnie the Pooh and the line was totally manageable.
    • Big Thunder Mountain was also really good. Iím not sure what the reason was, exactly, but itís my favorite version of that ride. Note that when I was at DLRP, BTM was closed so I didnít get to ride that one.
    • Christmas Fantasy Parade was pretty good, and the first time I remember seeing Belleís prince (instead of Beast).
    • TDLCastle is beautiful, but the holiday lighting was tacky and poorly executed. It looked half-finished. Maybe it was, since we were there the first day of the Christmas celebration. I think the non-holiday-lit version would have been a better photo op.
    • Dreamlights was like the Electrical Parade 3.0. It was half nostalgic and half new. Loved it. Glad we waited for it and the to-go crab meat pizza from Tomorrowlandís Pizza Port didnít hurt!
    • TDR Fireworks (shared between the two parks) were my only major disappointment. I wish I had used my time somewhere else instead of standing and waiting w/the masses.
    • Magnets are usually my souvenir of choice, and sometimes apparel. Apparently, Japanese donít use magnets and we certainly didnít see anybody wearing anything as sloppy as a t-shirt or sweatshirt. The souvenir of choice there is food or candy in decorative, keepsake tins or bags. Pack accordingly to leave space. I ended up buying CDs to the parades or shows. At 2100 yen each and with so many good ones, they were pricey but easy to pack and good keepsakes.
    • The only shows I saw (aside from the parades and fireworks) were One Manís Dream II and Minnie Oh! Minnie! The first was fairly entertaining, but I really didnít care for the second show. It was interesting to watch, but having seen it once I wonít feel the need to repeat it.
    • The shops on World Bazaar closed fairly soon after the park closed. Iím used to being able to shop for at least an hour after park closing, but that wasnít the case at TDL. I think the souvenir prices were high, even by Disney standards. Maybe they go by OLC standards? In any case, the parks are were well maintained so maybe thatís the reason?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Just got back from my first trip (TDL)

Tokyo Big Thunder Mountain is one of the best and only Paris beats it. If you get another chance to visit DLRP make sure you go when BTMR isn't on refurb schedule.

I found your coments about the lights a bit shocking as I've seen this video and throught it looked stunninghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=BqK9KD9urt0

I personally don't think TDR fireworks are that much of a dissapointment if you just happen to be on your way somewhere. I personally wouldn't wait around for them but if I happen to be in Westernland, I got no problem staking out a spot and waiting on for a few minutes.

I too agree with you on the merchadise I'm not a lover of the collective tins and boxes. CD's and the odd plush or nic nac is all I'll buy. I actually ended up spending more money in DLRP on merchadise than at TDR this year. And I've only ever found one magnet for sale and that was last year for Halloween.

Minnie Oh Minnie is one of these shows you either are gonna love or hate. I personally love it and that scares me because I know shouldn't.

Thanks for sharing your throughts on TDL

I'm so bummed now that I missed out on DLRP's BTM! I also missed out on TDL's Jungle Cruise, which was my favorite attraction at HKDL. TDL's Splash Mountain was closed, too.

The decor on the castle seemed unbalanced to me. Very bottom-heavy with nothing at the very top. It looks like they put a lot of care and money into the base of the castle but then midway through they decided to use the festoon lighting canopy and then didn't bother to decorate the top turret at all. I don't think that they should have gone Osbourne Family Lights on the castle, or anything. Perhaps my disappointment was due to the high expectations I had. Maybe TDL was victim to its own greatness. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

I agree. TDR's fireworks wouldn't have been so disappointing if we didn't wait for so long for them. If I saw them in passing (as I did from the Lost River Delta area the next day), I think I'd still be disappointed though. I was thinking that maybe I had unfair expectations and had been spoiled by DL's, but I found that I loved HKDL's fireworks even though they were on a smaller scale than DL's. I never saw fireworks at DLRP, as they weren't offered on the single day I had to spend there.

One magnet? ONE MAGNET?! I collect one from all the cities that I visit, and I was dismayed that I couldn't find one at TDR. I didn't look very hard for one, but I did go in a fair number of shops. Maybe I'll make my own from my photos. I actually bought A LOT from HKDL as souvenirs and even Christmas gifts; mainly because of the unique Mickey and friends design they had. Plus, I found the prices to be extremely reasonable!

And just to scare you more, I'm posting these:

• Sea Creature

Glad you had a good time. I agree with the fireworks. I just watch them for a minute or so and then just move on to the next attraction. They're definitely not worth watching.

• Minion

Since the fireworks only take up about 5 minutes, I hardly think it is a waste of my time. They are a nice treat at the end of the day, and I still think they are a magical experience.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySeaís Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Some photos, for those who are interested, are here:

The crowd in front of us 1 hour before park opening

Awesomeness

It's a Small World

Christmas Fantasy Parade

Star Tours and Pirates Exteriors

The all-important wait board

Christmas decorations around the park

Dreamlights

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TomGirl307 View Post
    I'm so bummed now that I missed out on DLRP's BTM! I also missed out on TDL's Jungle Cruise, which was my favorite attraction at HKDL. TDL's Splash Mountain was closed, too.

The decor on the castle seemed unbalanced to me. Very bottom-heavy with nothing at the very top. It looks like they put a lot of care and money into the base of the castle but then midway through they decided to use the festoon lighting canopy and then didn't bother to decorate the top turret at all. I don't think that they should have gone Osbourne Family Lights on the castle, or anything. Perhaps my disappointment was due to the high expectations I had. Maybe TDL was victim to its own greatness. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

And just to scare you more, I'm posting these:

Yeah Splash Mountain is currently under going a massive refurbishment, and has been closed since September. Shame as it is one of the parks signiture attractions and is refered to by many as the best version of Splash Mountain. Don't feel to bad about missing TDL Jungle Cruise as if you've been on either US versions you won't really notice a big difference or miss too much. I can't coment on Hong Kong's version but will be visiting that park in May and hope to be able to ride it than.

After viewing both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris versions of the castle lighting I'm convinced its not the best version. I think the other two come across with a bit more class, thats not to say TDL version isn't good but it can be done a lot better in my opinion. The other two castles have a very simple colour scheme which I feel works better. Plus I perfer the shows character shows better to TDL very basic show.

And I love your photos of Minnie Oh Minnie

• Banned User

Minnie Oh Minnie is a FUN FUN FUN show! Don't knock it TomGirl.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Minnie Oh Minnie is a FUN FUN FUN show! Don't knock it TomGirl.
    Too each his own.
    I guess my absence will just leave more room for you in the audience! This arrangement works out perfectly for the both of us. It's a win-win, the way I see it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TomGirl307 View Post
    I guess my absence will just leave more room for you in the audience! This arrangement works out perfectly for the both of us. It's a win-win, the way I see it.
    Sadly, your absence won't make much difference if at all, since I still have to compete with the million other japanese guests who love this show to pieces.

• Banned User

TomGirl307 what I find interesting is that you don't like Minnie Oh Minnie, yet did enjoy Over the Waves.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    TomGirl307 what I find interesting is that you don't like Minnie Oh Minnie, yet did enjoy Over the Waves.
    More than interesting... it's a puzzling thought. "Over the Waves" is unanimously voted "Worst Show at TDS". What bothers me the most is that disney execs in the US will read comments like that this one and will continue to think.. "of well, if simplistic little shows like OTW is what the Americans want in our local domestic parks...so be it". No wonder the entertainment at the domestic parks is so "blah!".

Sadly, your absence won't make much difference if at all, since I still have to compete with the million other japanese guests who love this show to pieces.
    Let's just agree that it'll be good that I won't be there. It'll be one less Asian for you to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I suppose "Over the Waves" can be my guilty pleasure, although I don't feel guilty about it at all. I didn't even initially want to watch "Over the Waves," but I noticed that the Harborside Christmas CD had many tracks from the show. That's what convinced me. Having no expectations, I thought it was wonderful. I mean, the fake muscles?! So absurd! It's just so silly and ridiculous. And I do love the ending w/them running into and out of doors. Did you not care for the show?

• Minion

While I don't care for Over the Waves myself, I do have to admit it's a cute show. I can see why the Japanese care for it.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySeaís Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast