Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Mount Prometheus only gets four pages in the book "Disney Mountains"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    They skimped on Prometheus and over-did it on Everest.
    Everest is just as beatiful.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Everest is just as beatiful.
    Everest certainly is very pretty, but it isn't as grand, elaborate, or advanced as Mount Prometheus in my opinion. The sense of awe upon seeing Mount Prometheus (especially from Mysterious Island or during an eruption) is a feeling no other mountain has been able to duplicate for me.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Maybe the author never actually went there? I haven't read the book, so I don't know.

I also never considered Grizzly River Run to be a "mountain" but I guess it could be considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Everest certainly is very pretty, but it isn't as grand, elaborate, or advanced as Mount Prometheus in my opinion. The sense of awe upon seeing Mount Prometheus (especially from Mysterious Island or during an eruption) is a feeling no other mountain has been able to duplicate for me.
    Everest is grand and elaborate. Japan doesn't have all of the good stuff.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Down Under without Nemo..

Have you seen Everest from the back? (IE from the carpark?) Looky! just a Big Brown Building. From the front it's nice.

Have you seen Mt Prometheus from the back? No? That's right, because there IS no back, it is a fully-formed Volcanic Mountain.

Japan wins.
    DLR California - 1991, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2009
    DLR Florida - 2002, 2007
    DLR Tokyo - 2005
    DLR Paris - 2011
    DLR Hong Kong -2011
    DLR Beijing -TBA

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear View Post
    Have you seen Everest from the back? (IE from the carpark?) Looky! just a Big Brown Building. From the front it's nice.
    This is also the view when entering the Resort on Western Way, a route Disney would like to see gain more travelers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lashbear View Post
    Have you seen Mt Prometheus from the back? No? That's right, because there IS no back, it is a fully-formed Volcanic Mountain.

Japan wins.
    And built with real rock too, unlike Everest (which was built mostly with concrete and stucco). Oh, and the fact that a whole land revolves around Mount Prometheus is especially impressive.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 12-16-2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typo

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    And built with real rock too, unlike Everest (which was built mostly with concrete and stucco). Oh, and the fact that a whole land revoles around Mount Prometheus is especially impressive.
    Dressed, not built. There is no benefit to filling up tons upon tons of rock to build an artificial cave. All of which would still require massive amounts of a steel structure to support. The rock piles need pressure, which would not be stable with all of the infrastructure required to make Mt. Prometheus operate.

• Minion

^^ Use of real stone can be very nice, but isn't always necessary. IMO Everest is a pretty flawless traditional coaster...when the Yeti is working properly. I don't think use of real stone here would have added much.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^ Use of real stone can be very nice, but isn't always necessary. IMO Everest is a pretty flawless traditional coaster...when the Yeti is working properly. I don't think use of real stone here would have added much.
    True, but it does add a level of authenticity and makes the structure extra convincing. I love that the deep layer of rock on the surface was added just to make Mount Prometheus appear to be a real volcano. That and all the extra special effects in and on the mountain. It was indeed unnecessary, but this was only one of many things they spared no expense on in the park.

Blog Entries

The fact that Prometheus may have real rock on it where Everest doesn't isn't a big deal to me. Do they both look like real rock? I think they do, so I couldn't care less how authentic it is. Disney has always been about the illusion of reality, not being real. However I will grant you that Mount Prometheus is a better mountain for a few reasons.

1. It is fully formed, the fact that there's a visible show building on the back of Everest is still a problem for me. No, its not seen from within the park, but it shouldn't be seen at all.

2. The eruption of Prometheus is gorgeous and something that Everest can't touch.

3. The ride portion that goes through Prometheus is fully themed whereas Everest is just dark and allows you to see the steel structure at times.

Other than those 3 issues, which are fairly minor however, I'd say they're equal. So in a head to head, Prometheus wins, but that shouldn't take away from the beauty of Everest.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The fact that Prometheus may have real rock on it where Everest doesn't isn't a big deal to me. Do they both look like real rock? I think they do, so I couldn't care less how authentic it is. Disney has always been about the illusion of reality, not being real. However I will grant you that Mount Prometheus is a better mountain for a few reasons.
    I think it also has to do with the way in which guests interact with the mountain. Guests enter and walk around Mount Prometheus. Guests to Disney's Animal Kingdom, on the other hand, are always either at a distance from or moving past the Forbidden Mountain.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    The fact that Prometheus may have real rock on it where Everest doesn't isn't a big deal to me. Do they both look like real rock? I think they do, so I couldn't care less how authentic it is. Disney has always been about the illusion of reality, not being real.
    Exactly the reason why Everest fails, and Prometheus soars. Everest still has that faux look to it that makes it less stelar (unless of course, you are just used to WDW's level of theming and I can understand that), But at TDS, the volcano has a much more realistic and crafted feel to it...and the fiery blasts and sounds, make it an even more believable mountain, with a personality that enhances TDS greatly, as opposed to the 2/3rds of a mountain that Everest is, since it just sits there to hold a ride track and look pretty, but nothing else... missing the interactive elements and "live" feel that Prometheus has, such as the walk-thru tunnels etc etc..
    Furthermore, this is something that should be a big deal to you, since Disney has always been about the illusion of reality (meaning looking like the real thing, and not just like something that is decently acceptable as such.) reason why ...again... Everest, with it's visible flat backside, will never measure up to the volcano. BTW... the entire Everest mountain can fit inside the caldera of Mysterious Island, with room for more space to be used. That is how magnificent the whole volcano set up really is.

• Minion

^^ I'm sure Prometheus is awesome, but I don't think Everest fails at all. In that case we would have to say that the Matterhorn fails, all the Big Thunders fail, etc. The way I see it the rock is part of the icing on the cake but in case of EE the cake itself has been very nicely baked. And as far as level of theming...if rest of WDW was as nicely themed as Everest, that would be fine by me...regardless of how it compares to TDS.

• Banned User

Again...Everest fails because you can see the plain backside of it from several areas, and worst, you can see the mesh it really is in the dark tunnel portion of it inside, so in execution...it fails miserably. I can't say the same for the other mountains because they effectively create the illusion they intended to in a full 360 and 3D fashion. Everest will always be "incomplete" in my opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast