Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

One day visit on 12/12 questions.

Hi all I have a last-minute trip to Tokyo and plan to spend one day at the Disney resort. This will be my first (and possibly only) visit to the Tokyo Resort. I have a few questions if anyone would like to help!

1) About how long does it take to buy tickets in the morning?

Is it worth an extra trip to the resort on a previous night just to buy tickets? Are there any locations closer to Tokyo proper that sell tickets (not vouchers)? I read that Disney Stores sold them but it's hard to confirm.

2) With one day should I spend the full day at DisneySea or should I spend half at DisneySea and half at Disneyland?

I am very familiar with Disneyland in Southern California so I assume many of the rides will be more or less the same.. but I am very curious to ride Pooh and Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare.. maybe Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain too .

Would it be worth the extra 3100 yen to go into Disneyland after 6 to ride Pooh? I realize the wait time might be pretty bad and there would probably be no FastPass left for it. Only bad thing is I would miss the BraveSEAmo and the other special things going on for Christmas.

I'm assuming the best thing to do would be to buy two full price tickets (one for each park) and spend the first few hours going on all the rides I want to ride at Disneyland (since it's much busier than DisneySea right?) and then spend the rest of the day at DisneySea. That would end up costing a lot of money (I might be able to buy a special priced ticket for 5000 yen that is sold during this season for a re-visit.. not sure if it works on the same day though).. I'm wondering if it's worth it or one full day at DisneySea would be more enjoyable overall.

3) Generally how busy is the park on a weekday in mid December?

I know Disneyland in California is pretty busy after Thanksgiving all the way until New Year's.. I'm hoping that is not the case in Tokyo!

--

Sorry for so many questions but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone had any hints! BTW I will be with my wife and two relatives (who are not Disney freaks so they might get bored after awhile).

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: One day visit on 12/12 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGoblin View Post
    Hi all I have a last-minute trip to Tokyo and plan to spend one day at the Disney resort. This will be my first (and possibly only) visit to the Tokyo Resort. I have a few questions if anyone would like to help!

1) About how long does it take to buy tickets in the morning?
    Depends... the ticket booths open one hour before park's scheduled opening time. There might be a small wait and line before that, but once the booths open, the lines move quickly. You will have to wait much longer to get into the park, as the lines by the turnstyles usually start forming a good 90-75 mins. before the park opens. But 45 mins after the park has opened, the lines to enter are much shorter.

Is it worth an extra trip to the resort on a previous night just to buy tickets?
    No, do not make a special trip.

Are there any locations closer to Tokyo proper that sell tickets (not vouchers)? I read that Disney Stores sold them but it's hard to confirm.
    All Disney Stores in japan sell dated TDR tickets. Go to a Disney Store ahead of time.

2) With one day should I spend the full day at DisneySea or should I spend half at DisneySea and half at Disneyland?
    They only sell 1-day passports to EITHER park, not both. You will have to choose what park to visit. There is NO park-hopping benefits for 1 or 2-day passports. My recommendation would be to stick to DisneySea since it is unique to Japan. TDL is way too similar to WDW's MK , with a dash of DL in it as well.. equally enjoyable to the states-side parks, but much efficiently operated and cleaner.

I am very familiar with Disneyland in Southern California so I assume many of the rides will be more or less the same.. but I am very curious to ride Pooh and Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare.. maybe Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain too .
    Space Mountain and Big Thunder as similar to DL's, and I understand Nightmare Holiday is also very similar to DL's. Pooh is totally unique to TDL, and quite popular.. Fastpass goes before noon, and from that point on, the stand by wait is always no lesser than 90 mins, 2 hrs... or more!

Would it be worth the extra 3100 yen to go into Disneyland after 6 to ride Pooh? I realize the wait time might be pretty bad and there would probably be no FastPass left for it. Only bad thing is I would miss the BraveSEAmo and the other special things going on for Christmas.
    BraviSEAmo is an acquired taste. many americans do not care for the show since it is a sedated experience of fountains and fire effects, and not much else. I would recommend buying the After 6 pass for TDL and doing not only Pooh, but also the Xmas Dreamlights parade, and as many other rides as you can ride in that time frame... but remember, you are going at a very busy time of the year and TDL is always packed during Xmas time... be prepared for that and to be in line for a very very very long time.
    One way to tackle Pooh is... by watching Dreamlights near the haunted mansion, then at the end of the parade, make a mad dash across Fantasyland to Pooh. Usually, people will be busy watching the parade, and the stand by line for Pooh decreases a bit, while Pooh FP holders are watching the parade.

I'm assuming the best thing to do would be to buy two full price tickets (one for each park) and spend the first few hours going on all the rides I want to ride at Disneyland (since it's much busier than DisneySea right?) and then spend the rest of the day at DisneySea. That would end up costing a lot of money (I might be able to buy a special priced ticket for 5000 yen that is sold during this season for a re-visit.. not sure if it works on the same day though).. I'm wondering if it's worth it or one full day at DisneySea would be more enjoyable overall.
    Honestly... you are trying to tackle a bit too much in one day... but I feel buying the two 1-day pass is a possible way to go, simple because there is no other way to buy a bit more time at TDL. But I feel you should try to visit for two days in a row instead so you can take advantage of some of the unique aspects of both parks. It would be sad to shorten your stay at TDS, just to go into TDL for a few rides. I think TDS deserves a full day, just to soak it all in. Thematically, this is Disney most accomplished park. Also keep in mind, park hopping will take a way a bit of your time away from enjoying more time at either park.

3) Generally how busy is the park on a weekday in mid December?
    It will be quite crowded at TDL thru Xmas, regardless of the day of the week. TDS is crowded but much more manageable than TDL.

BTW I will be with my wife and two relatives (who are not Disney freaks so they might get bored after awhile).
    NOT GOOD. Loose the relatives. These parks get horribly crowded and non Disney guests are quite sure to be put off by the somewhat chaotic conditions, especially if you are planning to do as much as you want in such little time.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 12-05-2007 at 05:39 PM.

• Minion

Since TDLFAN has covered most of your questions, I will only add that I too would suggest visiting DisneySea for the full day, as it is unlike any other Disney park in the world. Like TDLFAN said, it's truly the most detailed and well themed of the Disney parks. Imagineering doesn't get any better than this. And I highly recommend BraviSEAmo (my favorite nighttime spectacular of all surprisingly), though TDLFAN is correct again in that it doesn't quite appeal to the Western audience.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I might spend the full day at TDS since it will be cheaper and I can soak in the experience without stressing out too much.. and if for some reason I feel the need I can do the after 6pm pass for TDL.

It might be hard to lose the relatives as they might not be able to ride the subways and get around that day on their own.. hopefully they will enjoy the park. They haven't grumbled about taking one of the 4 days we have there for a Disney park so that's a good sign.

Also I am a bit curious to see what BraviSEAmo is all about and why Western audiences might not be into it. Do you have to grab a spot in advance to get a good view like you do for Fantasmic at Disneyland in California?

• Sea Creature

Also I am a bit curious to see what BraviSEAmo is all about and why Western audiences might not be into it. Do you have to grab a spot in advance to get a good view like you do for Fantasmic at Disneyland in California?
    That's usually a good idea. People save their spots up to two hours in advance, I would recommned saving yours for 30-45 minutes. I usually send someone in the group to go get snacks while we wait usually from Mama Biscotti's Bakery.

• Minion

Also I am a bit curious to see what BraviSEAmo is all about and why Western audiences might not be into it.
    From what I've read, it's mostly due to the fact that they expect a pyro extravaganza or a character fest like IllumiNations or Fantasmic. BraviSEAmo relies on a very emotional score and elegant and rich visuals to tell the story, which some Western guests find a bit repetitive and not as exciting. I personally love the pacing of BraviSEAmo, and its score is second to none when it comes to nighttime spectaculars.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    From what I've read, it's mostly due to the fact that they expect a pyro extravaganza or a character fest like IllumiNations or Fantasmic. BraviSEAmo relies on a very emotional score and elegant and rich visuals to tell the story, which some Western guests find a bit repetitive and not as exciting. I personally love the pacing of BraviSEAmo, and its score is second to none when it comes to nighttime spectaculars.
    Correct. However, it would help to know the show's storyline ahead of time, which is a simple romantic tale between two very different spirits... and the storyline is not all that apparent when you watch the show for the first time, and even harder to understand if you have no clue what the show is trying to tell.. See this link:
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...how_bravi.html

The daytime show, Legend of Mythica, is another storyline hard to follow for those of you who are not fluent in Japanese... and that is yet another extravaganza on water, unlike any seen by US audiences in the American Disney parks. See this link:
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...w_mythica.html

For both shows, I recommend arriving NO LATER than 35 mins before show time and grab a spot where you can get a good view of the water in the lagoon. Lido Isle is the best spot for viewing these shows but you must be there no later than 90 mins if you really want the best spots in that area. Keep in mind... many of the japanese guests come educated and prepared to enjoy the best they can, and will take advantage of that knowledge, and of people who do not know how to tackle the TDR parks ahead of time, so there will be ample competition for the best spots for most shows...for most E-ticket rides, for most popular fastpasses... etc etc etc. Reason why there are long lines in the morning in the Fastpass distribution areas, especially TOT, Haunted Mansion Nightmare, Astroblasters and Pooh in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan
    I usually send someone in the group to go get snacks while we wait usually from Mama Biscotti's Bakery.
    Let's clarify this statement... You get snacks from Mama Biscotti while the rest of your party waits at some good spot around the lagoon. Mama Biscotti location is NOT a good spot to stand and view the lagoon shows.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGoblin
    It might be hard to lose the relatives as they might not be able to ride the subways and get around that day on their own.. hopefully they will enjoy the park.
    Perfect idea!! Loose them in Tokyo station. LOL!! Then you will have a good excuse.. But kidding aside, the beauty of TDSea is this: it's a more adult enviroment, like EPCOT is to the Magic Kingdom at WDW so to speak. If they are not into the kiddie stuff normally found at DL parks... TDS will provide a more mature, more stylish, and more thematically themed atmosphere, which is aimed to the older crowd. I think they will be OK with TDS.

Sounds pretty good.. I'll be sure to get a spot early for the lagoon shows (Is Candlelight Reflections worth checking out?). My relatives are older so they might end up liking TDS better than Disneyland! Unfortunately one of them has high blood pressure and might not be able to ride any of the major rides (which was one reason I was wanting to go to TDL for Pooh).

Another question.. sorry for so many of them. According to the early weather reports it looks like it might rain on the 12th. Would this be a bad day to go (too cold, too miserable, too unflattering for a first visit) or would it be a good one since the parks would presumably be a lot less busy?

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping it doesn't rain and it's not too busy

• Loves Mickey!

Sounds pretty good.. I'll be sure to get a spot early for the lagoon shows (Is Candlelight Reflections worth checking out?). My relatives are older so they might end up liking TDS better than Disneyland! Unfortunately one of them has high blood pressure and might not be able to ride any of the major rides (which was one reason I was wanting to go to TDL for Pooh).

Another question.. sorry for so many of them. According to the early weather reports it looks like it might rain on the 12th. Would this be a bad day to go (too cold, too miserable, too unflattering for a first visit) or would it be a good one since the parks would presumably be a lot less busy?

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. I'm hoping it doesn't rain and it's not too busy
    It gets very cold at night because it's near the ocean so the rain might be very uncomfortable especially for your relatives who are older? As for BraviSEAmo it's not just the foreigners who were not the impressed with it. Many locals didn't like it because they expected more because of all the hype it received and because it didn't feel very Disney. Personally I didn't like it at first but seeing it again later after the changes I think it's a pretty nice show and the music is great. For good seating we would normally wait 2 hours ahead of time.

Candlelight Reflections is very pretty and romantic and personally I think it is worth checking out. It's not an exciting show but it adds to the atmosphere and has lovely music. The high blood pressure I don't think will be a big problem at DisneySea because there are so many shows and atmosphere to take in that I think they would have a nice time not even riding rides. My mother has a similar problem because of a neck injury and is not able to ride many of the rides and actually we are planning for when she comes to visit and looking at what she will be able to enjoy there are still plenty of things to fill the day.
    Last edited by DreamSweetsLove; 12-07-2007 at 10:54 AM.

• Banned User

I agree about the Candlelight Reflections show.. like BraviSEAmo!, it starts slow and builds up. Like a little Electrical parade on water. Definitely worth checking out if you are there during the holidays... and also DO NOT MISS the "Big Band Beat" show which is very jazzy and older guests love a lot.
    As for the rain... I personally hate it at the parks when it's rainy and windy. Many of the outdoor shows at both parks suffer due to that, as they can be scaled back or cancelled altogether depending on the weather conditions... In regards to TDS, this is a park to walk around and visually absorb.. and if it is raining, that aspect of the experience will be highly compromised if the weather is bad and not condusive to be outdoors.

Ok thanks for the tips guys. I'm leaving early tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any rain and the park won't be too busy

• Loves Mickey!

Have a great trip!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Have fun

Got back to LAX at 8am this morning.. here's a trip report (with some spoilers and not many spoiler warnings):

Disneyland

Went with my wife and relatives to Disneyland for a quick 6pm night trip since I was curious to see Pooh. We were surprised at how enthusiastic and crowded it was in the lines waiting to enter the park at 6pm (with the special 6pm discount ticket) on a Monday night. I guess if Disneyland had a nighttime pass it would be crowded too during the holiday season.. although I’m not sure I’ve seen Americans as enthusiastic about an amusement park before.

Pooh, the primary reason for my visit to Disneyland, wasn’t letting any people in line.. there was already a line I couldn’t really tell if they stopped the line due to overcrowding or if the ride had broken down.

Went to Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare and waited in the slowest moving line ever! Might have been from the jet lag and walking all day but I feel like the first 40 minutes or so was the most excruciating line I’ve ever been in. It moved slower than X at Six Flags Magic Mountain (roller coaster known for slow loading times). I think I saw a non-stop line of FastPass people getting let in during that 30-40 minutes or so. Once that line let up we started moving at a decent pace. We enjoyed the ride thoroughly! Couple of things I noticed.. the audio levels in the elevator weren’t as high as they are in the Disneyland version. Also the ride seemed to move a little slower here. The ride definitely had more scenes and characters from Nightmare than Disneyland does.

Checked Pooh out and the line was open now.. unfortunately the wait stated 80 minutes.. it took about half that but the first 30 minutes or so were as excruciating as Haunted Mansion Holiday. The ride completely blew me away. Minor Spoilers: All I knew about it was that it was trackless but I had no idea that the cars wouldn’t go the same path. The criss-crossing, reversing direction, beautifully choreographed ride coupled with neat effects and animatronics make this ride the first to REALLY impress me since Indiana Jones opened. I was just in awe and smiling the whole time. After getting off I really felt like Disneyland (and Magic Kingdom) got ripped off big time with our version of Winnie The Pooh. Disneyland in California seemed almost embarrassed to advertise Pooh and I can see why after riding the Tokyo version.

The relatives enjoyed the rides but were tired and didn’t enjoy the waits.. so my wife and I ended up going on Big Thunder without them. This ride seemed bigger and better themed than the Disneyland counterpart. We ended up leaving the park at around 8:45 or so which made me sad because the crowds seemed to be dying down (either that or the FastPass people weren’t coming in in droves making the standby waits bearable) but the rest of the party was pretty miserable. Also because of this experience my relatives opted to not go to DisneySea which would end up being great for me and my wife but bad for them as DisneySea was a billion times more bearable than Disneyland. I picked up two ‘special passport’ tickets for 5000 yen to visit on Wednesday.

DisneySea

After the crazy crowds and long waits we decided to get to the park 30 minutes before the park opened. This gave us a chance to orient ourselves with the map of the park.. We enjoyed how excited the crowds got when they could see Mickey & friends in the distance coming toward the gates to greet people (still before the park opened). I’m not sure if they do this at Disneyland but Mickey & friends would wave to each other and ran up into a group and it looked like they were talking and greeting each other. It made it look like they were real!

When the gates opened we ran off to Tower of Terror as that is the newest ride and everyone seemed to be going that way. We were blown away by the architecture, sets in the queue, and the preshow. The ride itself was a slight disappointment as it was much tamer and very similar to the DCA version. My wife and I prefer the MGM version with the 5th dimension scene as the ride feels a bit short without it. We rode the DCA version before the MGM version btw. That said the crowd seemed to be real into it and the pre-show and queue blows away the DCA and MGM versions in my mind.

We skipped getting a FastPass as the return time was already for 1:30 to 2:30. We went to Journey To The Center of the Earth and got a FastPass for it (the return time was only 30 minutes or so away) and got in the standby line. We really liked the theming and had heard the ride was the best ride at the park. I knew the ride system was similar to Test Track but that was about all I knew of the ride. I think I was slightly let down as the ride ended quicker than I expected. The dark ride portions were excellent and the launch out of the volcano was really fun! We ended up riding this 3 times total.

I got a FastPass for Raging Spirits and then we did standby for Indiana Jones. We weren’t expecting much from this as I had heard it was mostly the same as the Disneyland version.. but the queue was so different and impressive that it was better than we expected. To me the ride itself is comparable to the Disneyland version. Some spoilers: The lack of fire in the main room gives the edge to Disneyland but the smoke effect was MUCH better than the falling rats effect (which seemed lacking in this version). A couple of things I noticed was the ride seems to blow through the show scenes at a pace much faster than Disneyland. The car doesn’t ‘stop’ to be restarted again while in the ‘dark’ room. The movement isn’t nearly as jerky and violent as the Disneyland version. Indiana Jones didn’t really look like Harrison Ford.

We went to Raging Spirits and was overall disappointed by the ride. I was hoping for some of the coaster to be indoors or to see some visible effects that aren’t visible from the line itself. The coaster wasn’t anything amazing but for a themed coaster it is a pretty good ride. I haven’t ridden Expedition Everest yet but I hope it is better than Raging Spirits.

The rest of the day was kind of a blur.. the park ended up not feeling nearly as busy as Disneyland but the wait times got up to 50 minutes for Journey. Using FastPass is a must and it made the day so enjoyable. At one point we had a FastPass for Journey, Raging Spirits, and Indiana Jones simultaneously. Our pace was kind of frantic but we later slowed down and got to see many other attractions including 20,000 Leagues, Stormrider, Aquatopia, Sinbad, Flounder’s Flying Coaster, Electric Railway, Magic Lamp Theater, Mermaid Lagoon Theater, Mystic Rhythms, Legend of Mythica, BraviSEAmo, and Candlelight Reflections.

Pretty much every ride exceeded my expectations and the shows blew us away. The attention to detail in this park is amazing. The snacks we ate throughout the day (Gyoza Sausage Bun, a Mango/Jelly drink, peanut butter crème filled dough, and cheesecake chimichanga in Lost River Delta, mochii dough balls in Arabian Coast to name a few) were all amazing! I never had so much fun snacking at a park before!

According to the announcement after the show we got an abbreviated version of BraviSEAmo due to high winds but it looked pretty impressive. It was mesmerizing, a bit bizarre looking, and the music was beautiful. I can see how it wouldn’t be some people’s cup of tea due to the pacing but we enjoyed it a lot.

I wish I had more time to check out Explorer’s Landing as we only found out on our way out that there were things to see inside the buildings (we did see the outside area with the cannon ball guns which was cool.. we watched Legend of Mythica from within one of the towers). Also we wanted to ride the Venetian Gondolas and the Transit Steamer Line but we spent much of the daytime hours bouncing back and forth between the FastPass attractions (they only had 4 rides or so open to FastPass).

Conclusion

This trip report ended up longer than I expected.. but thanks to everyone who helped with some of the questions I had it helped a lot! DisneySea is so beautiful I it just oozes quality in every aspect. It especially was striking at night and I feel a need to go back someday. I wish I didn’t subject my relatives to the madness of Disneyland and just took them to DisneySea first.. I think it would have been a fun time for everyone (although I wouldn’t have been able to do as many things I’m sure).

• Banned User

Well.... I *did* tell you "loose the relatives", didn't I?? Hehehe!

But nevertheless.. great trip report. Thanks for taking the time to share some opinions about your trip to TDR.

Pooh, the primary reason for my visit to Disneyland, wasn’t letting any people in line.. there was already a line I couldn’t really tell if they stopped the line due to overcrowding or if the ride had broken down.
    They only close a queue when a ride goes down, as far as I know.

Went to Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare and waited in the slowest moving line ever! Might have been from the jet lag and walking all day but I feel like the first 40 minutes or so was the most excruciating line I’ve ever been in. It moved slower than X at Six Flags Magic Mountain (roller coaster known for slow loading times). I think I saw a non-stop line of FastPass people getting let in during that 30-40 minutes or so. Once that line let up we started moving at a decent pace.

All lines at TDL, even the extra long 2 hour ones, used to move expeditiously before they brought in Fastpass. Fastpass is a virus and needs to go permanently. Death to FP!!!

The relatives enjoyed the rides but were tired and didn’t enjoy the waits.. so my wife and I ended up going on Big Thunder without them. This ride seemed bigger and better themed than the Disneyland counterpart.

It is bigger and more ornated. Paris' version is cool as well. WDW's is the worst.

We enjoyed how excited the crowds got when they could see Mickey & friends in the distance coming toward the gates to greet people (still before the park opened). I’m not sure if they do this at Disneyland but Mickey & friends would wave to each other and ran up into a group and it looked like they were talking and greeting each other. It made it look like they were real!

This is a morning pre-opening ritual at both TDL and TDS. Characters come out to welcome guests into the park. It's a grand way to start the day, and reason enough to be at the gates early to watch the mayhem unfold.

I think I was slightly let down as the (JTTCOTE) ride ended quicker than I expected. The dark ride portions were excellent and the launch out of the volcano was really fun! We ended up riding this 3 times total.

It amazes me how people are always "let down" by the volcano ride, yet they go back for 2nd and 3rd servings... so maybe it isn't as awful as some may paint it to be?

We went to Raging Spirits and was overall disappointed by the ride. I was hoping for some of the coaster to be indoors or to see some visible effects that aren’t visible from the line itself. The coaster wasn’t anything amazing but for a themed coaster it is a pretty good ride. I haven’t ridden Expedition Everest yet but I hope it is better than Raging Spirits.

We could have told you that. Raging is just a carny ride plopped in the middle of the greatness that is TDS. Very out of place. Trust me... Everest is NOTHING like that. To get an idea about Everest, think "Matterhorn" on steroids!

One more question... please tell me you saw "Big band beat" show since it is the best xmas show at TDS right now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast