Thread: Christmas 2008

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Christmas 2008

I've got 2 weeks of in late November, and while I feel I should make a long over due trip to WDW, I also would really like to visit the Resort during its Christmas season. So I'm kind of stuck at a crossroad here, I love visiting both Resorts and I don't want to get into another comparrsion debate, but I would like to know what people think I should do here. Looking on Expedia Tokyo is offering some very good rates for November. It would also be the first time I've ever visited during the Christmas season, and that is something I've always wanted to do. I last visited in Sept, so should I come back so soon.

What do you guys think?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Loves Mickey!

Re: Christmas 2008

Personally, I think it's a better deal to visit TDR for Christmas rather WDW because it's a much more pleasant experience and they have much nicer dining and souvenirs. However that being said, how long has it been since you've visited WDW? If you haven't seen the redone Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth you might want to go for those attractions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    What do you guys think?
    That is a no brainer Malin. It's TDL's 25th anniversary Christmas season. Like... Hello??
    While Christmas at WDW is enjoyable, their offerings hardly change (if at all) from one year to the next, so it is a given that the same stuff you woould miss this year will be done all over again in 2009. At TDR at least they change the theme of the season yearly, and do add some really nice entertainment that is far more quality that the quantity of entertainment there is to be enjoyed at WDW...which is decent at best, plus all that wonderfully unique merchandise and food items exclusive to TDR during the season... while WDW hardly does any extra trimmings like that for the holidays.

If I was to choose one resort, it would be TDR all the way.

Yeah Malin. TDLFAN has a point. It is the 25th Anniversary. If anything, this is the time to come see Christmas.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• You have much to learn...

I agree with the above as well- the only thing that has changed in WDW this year was the addition of the lights to the castle, which is really nice- I have gone to WDW for like the past 10 years or more for the first week of December and not much has changed throught the years.

It would be great if you could do both, but I know it can be costly as well. I'm looking forward to the 25th at TDR as well and can't wait!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    It would be great if you could do both!
    Well, only some selected few can have that pleasure...

• Minion

Well it looks like Tokyo is in the lead vote at the mo. So it looks like I may be back in 2008, only this time for the Chrsitmas and the 25th Anniversary. I've been looking at the calender and the plan is to arrive in Tokyo on the 24th of November and leave on the 29th of November. Does anyone know if I have anything to watch out for here like school holidays. Aparently the 23rd is Labor Thanksgiving Day, so will people return to work on the Monday. Also what is the weather and crowds like for this time of year.

I'm really hoping that Jublilation will still be running during this time of the year as advertised too.

• Minion

I've been looking at the calender and the plan is to arrive in Tokyo on the 24th of November and leave on the 29th of November. Does anyone know if I have anything to watch out for here like school holidays. Aparently the 23rd is Labor Thanksgiving Day, so will people return to work on the Monday. Also what is the weather and crowds like for this time of year.
    Could someone help us out on this please?

Well it looks like Tokyo is in the lead vote at the mo. So it looks like I may be back in 2008, only this time for the Chrsitmas and the 25th Anniversary. I've been looking at the calender and the plan is to arrive in Tokyo on the 24th of November and leave on the 29th of November. Does anyone know if I have anything to watch out for here like school holidays. Aparently the 23rd is Labor Thanksgiving Day, so will people return to work on the Monday. Also what is the weather and crowds like for this time of year.

I'm really hoping that Jublilation will still be running during this time of the year as advertised too.
    Most holidays and weekends during the Christmas season are busy. The weather is coll and possibly rainy. Jubilation will most likely not run in its original form since there should be a Christmas parade in the daytime. However, the Jubilation floats might be themed for the holidays.
    JoeInJpn

• Minion

Thanks for the reply JoeInJpn.

So by arriving Monday and leaving on the Saturday I should avoid most of the big crowds. I take it seeing that its the Christmas event plus TDL 25th Anniversary the parks will busy anyway, but again no worst than they are for Halloween. The weather doesn't bother me, just cool to know what I need to pack.

Shame to hear about Jublilation I was kind of hoping for the same thing DLRP did this year. The park showed the 15th Anniversary parade in full, but added an mini Christmas parade/greeting to the end of it. DLRP didn't want to change the parade last year due to it being heavily advertised as part of the 15th Anniversary

Thanks for the reply JoeInJpn.

So by arriving Monday and leaving on the Saturday I should avoid most of the big crowds. I take it seeing that its the Christmas event plus TDL 25th Anniversary the parks will busy anyway, but again no worst than they are for Halloween. The weather doesn't bother me, just cool to know what I need to pack.

Shame to hear about Jublilation I was kind of hoping for the same thing DLRP did this year. The park showed the 15th Anniversary parade in full, but added an mini Christmas parade/greeting to the end of it. DLRP didn't want to change the parade last year due to it being heavily advertised as part of the 15th Anniversary
    Since the 23rd falls on a Sunday, it is observed on the following Monday, 24th. You should be OK with crowds the other days though. Kids are back in school and they are preparing for term finals during that time. About "Jubilation", it's just a guess as to what they might do during Xmas. Who knows, they might just perform the original AND have a new Xmas parade. Let's hope!
    JoeInJpn

• Minion

Thanks Joe this has helped me out a lot in organising what dates to book. So I think to avoid the Holiday crowds I'm going to to arrive on the Tuesday 25th and leave the Sunday 30th.

Lets hope OLC will do something differnt for Chistmas this year, as Jubilation should be kept in its original form for the entire Anniversary year in my opinion, seeing that its been so heavily advertised by OLC and Disney as one of the main new attractions for the 25th Anniversary. If OLC are interested in having a record attendance its going to have to pull of some mega events for Halloween and Christmas as nothing else is jumping out at me to say you must visit TDR during 2008 at the moment. A brand new parade for Christmas would be a great start or how about a Castle Show. I know the company has started to move away from staging these kind of shows but with this being the 25th Anniversary OLC should be pulling out all the stops.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well, only some selected few can have that pleasure...

I'm gonna be one of those few this year!