Comparison to other Japanese parks

I am by no means an expert on Japanese entertainment, but I do know there are tons of theme parks there. I know they are experts at target marketting too. I would like to go to Japan someday and take in the culture in Osaka.

What makes Disney stand out from all those places; like for example Harmonyland? What does it have that reminds you that you are in Japan?

This is all hypothetical of course, because I will have to wait until I am an adult to go to a Disney resort.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Comparison to other Japanese parks

Aren't most Japanese theme parks "super coaster extreme" parks with little actual theme?

Tokyo Disney Resort is a slice of Americana in Tokyo.

A good place to ask this question would be at themeparkreview.com as they do annual trips to a LOT of japanese parks. Robb and Elissa, the owners of the site could tell you a lot...there's also some good DVD's of their trips.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Disney and Universal are Japan's most popular theme parks. I think all other parks probarely resemble that of your local Six Flags park. TDL has been going 25 years and is now a part of Japanese culture almost. I imagine the Japanese view theme parks the same way us westerners do, you have your local maybe once a year parks like Six Flags and than you have Disney which offers a quality experience, a bit of Americana and like we do hold something special for the parks.

• Minion

Disney and Universal are definitely at the top when it comes to theme parks. The rest are what I call coaster parks.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Loves Mickey!

The quality is really different in terms of theme, detail, technology, guest service, etc. You can't really compare it to let's say Edo Mura in Nikko which is themed to old Tokyo (no coasters btw) because they are on completely different levels.

Thank you for the information. I, like alot of teens am interested in Japanese culture. I have an interest in CLAMP manga. Websites make it sound like tons of anime has theme parks devoted to them in Japan. That Disney has serious competition because parks are so common.

Have I been misled?
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalJ.Squirrel View Post
    Thank you for the information. I, like alot of teens am interested in Japanese culture. I have an interest in CLAMP manga. Websites make it sound like tons of anime has theme parks devoted to them in Japan. That Disney has serious competition because parks are so common.

Have I been misled?
    Disney does not have competition in Japan other than from Universal. The Tokyo Disney Resort is by far the most popular theme park destination in Japan, with over 25 million guests a year. Universal sees about 8 million a year, and I would guess that all other theme parks see only a few million guests annually. Certainly not on the same scale of attendance as Disney.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

The other parks in Japan make Six Flags look better than Disney. I have seen the TPR pictures from their trips and the odd or lack of themes is very sad.

But they do look like a fun place to go.