• AKA: Indyiluvu

Question First Trip to Japan, expensive?

Hi Everyone,

I am a Southern California Resident and a premium AP holder at the Disneyland Resort, so I know DL and DCA like the back of my hand. I'm trying to visit all the disney parks. I've been to Florida, and Paris (DLP only, not Disney Studios), but not Hong Kong or Tokyo yet.

Therefore, I am planning to visit TDLR (and Japan) for the first time hopefully this November. I was wondering what the average cost was including the hotel and park admission. For others how much did you spend on your trips? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I have to save, and if it will be possible by November.

I plan on being in Japan for 2 to 3 weeks and I plan on visiting the resort for 3 days. One full day for each park, and one day to park hop to see what I missed before. Or does anyone think a 4th day would be necessary? How big is the resort compared to the other parks?

Also if anyone can recommend other cities or destinations in Japan that are Must-See. Tokyo (including TDLR) will cover 6 days, (3 for DL, 3 for the city) and I plan on visiting two other cities on my Trip. I was thinking of Kyoto, but need to do a lot more research.

Thanks
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST DLP TRIP - March 1997

FIRST WDW TRIP - May/June 2006

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Minion

Re: First Trip to Japan, expensive?

My 6-day trip to Tokyo ran around $4000, but only because I stayed at the most expensive hotel on property. Had I stayed in a budget hotel, I would have spent about $1400-$1600 including airfare.

I would highly recommend a 4th day, as even that was not enough for me to see everything at the resort. It is bigger than the Disneyland Resort and Disneyland Resort Paris, but not as big as Walt Disney World.

There are 2 parks, a grander version of Downtown Disney, a large World of Disney type store called Bon Voyage, and a new Cirque du Soleil theater. Tokyo Disneyland is much bigger than Disneyland, but there are fewer attractions. Several of them are adapted versions of Disneyland classics, and they have a better version of Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. Don't miss Pooh's Hunny Hunt either! Tokyo DisneySea is also much larger than California Adventure, and you'll want to take a good portion of the day just exploring the park's fantastic design and theming.

As for cities to visit other than Tokyo, I recommend Osaka. I have heard great things about Universal Studios Japan.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    My 6-day trip to Tokyo ran around $4000, but only because I stayed at the most expensive hotel on property. Had I stayed in a budget hotel, I would have spent about $1400-$1600 including airfare.
    Thanks for the info! I was planning on saving around $4000 for the entire trip, but now I'm thinking it might take almost double that amount.

Most looking forward to Journey to the Center of the Earth from all the good things I've heard on MiceChat.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by indyIluvu View Post
    Thanks for the info! I was planning on saving around $4000 for the entire trip, but now I'm thinking it might take almost double that amount.

Most looking forward to Journey to the Center of the Earth from all the good things I've heard on MiceChat.
    Well, there are plenty of hotels in Tokyo that are less than $100/night. For about 3 weeks, that would be about $2000 for lodging. Then, add about $800-$1000 for airfare (per person). Food, souvenirs, and other tickets shouldn't go over $1000. So, $4000 seems feasible.

And yes, Journey to the Center of the Earth is an amazing attraction.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Hey indyIluvu from the sound of things you may want to book a tour of Japan through a travel company. That way you can tour Japan with transportation and accomendation all included.

As for cities of interest as your a theme park fan have you considered a trip to Osaka the home of Universal Studios Japan. Hiroshima and Nara offer a lot for visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post

As for cities of interest as your a theme park fan have you considered a trip to Osaka the home of Universal Studios Japan.
    I think after TDLR I want to do more sightseeing rather than more amusement parks. I want to visit the historical places and see the natural and man made wonders of Japan. Osaka still might be a consideration but I do not plan on visiting Universal Studios.
    FIRST DLR TRIP - 1981

FIRST HKDL TRIP - 2016?

FIRST TDLR TRIP - 2017?

FIRST SHDL TRIP - 2019?

• Minion

IndyIluvu, I haven't been to Japan, but do read / look at a lot of travel books. What you want to see of course depends on your taste but here are my recommendations. My personal interests have to do more with traditional culture and natural beauty so the recommendations reflect that. For me the best time to visit would be to coincide with spring blooms or fall foliage.

The city I want to visit most in Japan is not Tokyo but Kyoto, the old capital, where there are plenty of temples, gardens, and other cultural attractions within a modern urban context.

The historic site I would like to see most is Nikko, where you have the shrines of the most important shoguns. Nikko is doubly good because there is a lot of natural beauty here too with a national park. If I had just one trip to Japan and had to choose just one place outside Tokyo, it would probably be Nikko.

Among other historic sites Himeji Castle and Nara are probably the most famous but of course there are many other smaller ones which may be less touristy and hence give greater sense of discovery.

Within vicinity of Tokyo some good places are the Mt. Fuji / Hakone area, Takayama, Kamakura, Kiso Valley, and Kanazawa. You could look up info on these places if interested

Also if natural beauty interests you then Hokkaido has the largest natural parks. I like waterfalls and will try to visit Sounkyo Gorge some day if I get the chance.

About Universal, I haven't been to Japan yet, but I want to visit Osaka...I dont see a whole lot at Universal Osaka that's much different than the US parks

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    About Universal, I haven't been to Japan yet, but I want to visit Osaka...I dont see a whole lot at Universal Osaka that's much different than the US parks
    Same opinion here...if you want to see the best of Disney, then you need to go to Tokyo...but for best of Universal, you go to Orlando (at least as far as rides are concerned). The advantage I see to the Japanese version is that you don't need admission to a separate park for Spiderman and Jurassic Park. However Osaka does not have Men in Black (yet) and probably won't have Harry Potter.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The general impression about Universal Studios Japan is that the park is better than the ones found in the States. The roster of attractions while being similar to that found in the American parks does offer some unique attractions too, like Snoopy Studios, Hollywood Dream the Ride, Peter Pan Lagoon Show and Land of Oz, featuring the production of WiCKED. It also offers a list of characters not usually found at the other Universal parks including the Peanuts gang, Sesame Street and Hello Kitty.

Like TDR, Universal Studios Japan also puts on some very big events with the next big one being Valentines Day. TDLFAN was good enough to share a few pics of the Christmas event. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...3&a=32623672&f=

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    That's because the real differences can't be shown on photos. The Osaka park is well operated (almost to TDR quality) and the park is much more detailed and lavish in design. It's much cleaner than the US's and the quality of the attractions and shows are one notch higher than what we get in the US. So saying there is not much difference based on video or pics, is simply making a broad statement with no real fact to back it up.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Same opinion here...if you want to see the best of Disney, then you need to go to Tokyo...but for best of Universal, you go to Orlando (at least as far as rides are concerned).
    I disagree for the same reasons I stated above. USJ and USF may share some attractions but the ones in Japan are just as good, and in some cases better done than the Orlando ones. For one, Spiderman effects at USJ work well on cue always, as opposed to IOA's version, where some special effects may or may not go off as planned. THAT is the quality difference I see between Orlando's and Japan's Universal parks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I disagree for the same reasons I stated above. USJ and USF may share some attractions but the ones in Japan are just as good, and in some cases better done than the Orlando ones. For one, Spiderman effects at USJ work well on cue always, as opposed to IOA's version, where some special effects may or may not go off as planned. THAT is the quality difference I see between Orlando's and Japan's Universal parks.
    True, but Japan Spidey is the second generation of the ride so they had time to fix things plus it doesn't help when Universal keep changing owners every few years.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• Minion

Besides special effects working on queue, how else are the rides in Universal Japan better? Also all of those rides plus a few others are in Orlando except Hollywood Dream Coaster. I am not a big coaster fan but Hulk and Dueling Dragons seem a lot more interesting thematically.

• Banned User

It's not so much the attractions being better because they are not, but I think this park has a nicer roster of attractions, whereas in Orlando, you'd have to pay for two parks to see that much. However, It's other things as well that make USJ a better park...such as the lagoon show, the character lineup, the park's themes are much better detailed and lavish, the cleanliness is better, the food and souvenir selections are much nicer, much more efficient employees.. etc etc etc.