Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    • Will return Soon...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227

    Talking I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Hooray for to good to resist Airfares!!

    I'm off on my first trip to Japan on the 19th of September for 14 days. And of course spending 3 days at the all mighty TDR.

    So being a first timer, but have read these boards many many times and perused TDLFAN's photos countless more! I'm here to ask for some help and recommendations on this great country!

    His a quick rundown of what we have planned:

    19th Fly into Osaka 8:20pm, were staying overnight and then the next morning taking the train into Tokyo.

    20th-28th Staying in Tokyo Our Hotel is Shinjuku New City Hotel (Anyone know it any good?) At the moment got TDR penciled in 24-26th. Weekedays i know its going to be insane but thought weekdays might be a little less crazy as opposed to weekends.

    28th-30th Kyoto. Will stay here opposite the station and take in the gardens temples etc might go one day to Hiroshima or Nara.

    30th-1st Oct Osaka and fly out at 9:50pm on the 1st

    So for starters a couple of questions- We will buy our Disney passes when we get there as they are seeming difficult to get through Australia. Can we just goto a Disney store to get them or even at the airport?

    Any suggestions on how to attack the parks TDL first day TDS second or vice versa? I know it's halloween season while I'm there. Which from the pictures ive seen i cant wait for!!!!!
    But do they still do the regular day parade and Dreamlights as well?
    Great to see its the 25th as well!! Also fro where were staying does anyone know how easy it will be to get to the resort? apx. how long it will take too?

    Food? I'm pretty much up for anything. so any good recommendations please divulge :P

    Sights sounds? any must see's outside the Resort. I have a few in mind but any suggestions will love thanks!

    Thanks for reading and all the help!! now if only the 240 days would go quickly!!!

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Hey bigglesworth003 first can I say congratulations on booking the trip.

    Previous years TDL does do Dreamlights but no daytime parade. Of course with Jubilation being a big part of the Anniversary this could change this year.

    Shinjuku station to TDR should take about 60 mins. It is very easy to get the trains, through you will have to stop at Tokyo Station and get another train to TDR. The distance between lines is about a 5-10 min walk.

    Regarding tickets you can purchase vouchers in advance from the major train stations and convinience stores but still need to pick them up on day of visit.

    My advice is to devote two full days too TDL, as its Halloween and the 25th Anniversary. TDL will be crowded and wait times long. TDS won't be as busy and everything can easily be done in one day as I proved on my last trip in Sept 07. My only other advice is to arrive early (1 hour before opening) and take advantage of Fast Pass.

    Make sure you visit Mt Fuji, and as for food not sure about Tokyo itself but the TDR has a huge selection of dining spots.

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Just a question... why fly into Osaka? 4 hrs away on the train from TDR. to end up there the next morning?

    Regarding tickets... I would not follow Malin's recommendantion. Better go to a Disney Store and buy dated tickets that will garranty your entrance on any given day. Vouchers and such are not dated and will not allow you into the parks if you get there late and the park is closed due to capacity, which is not something that happens often, except during holiday times.

    Take a tour to Fuji and Hakone, and even explore the city of Tokyo on your own which is very convenient to get around.

  4. #4

    • Sea Creature
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,024

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigglesworth003 View Post
    Hooray for to good to resist Airfares!!
    Details?

  5. #5

    • Will return Soon...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Just a question... why fly into Osaka? 4 hrs away on the train from TDR. to end up there the next morning?

    Regarding tickets... I would not follow Malin's recommendantion. Better go to a Disney Store and buy dated tickets that will garranty your entrance on any given day. Vouchers and such are not dated and will not allow you into the parks if you get there late and the park is closed due to capacity, which is not something that happens often, except during holiday times.

    Take a tour to Fuji and Hakone, and even explore the city of Tokyo on your own which is very convenient to get around.
    Thanks for the tips! we are planning a day trip to Mt Fuji/Hakone, sounds great.

    The reason to fly out of Osaka, simply Jetstar having a sale and they don't fly into Tokyo. only Osaka and Nagoya. No flights in Sept available to Nagoya either. Flights with any other carriers ex. Melbourne to Tokyo was at cheapest $800p.p more then with Jetstar into Osaka. So we figured we'd grab a rail pass anyway and save a few hundred.

    Looks like will get to a Disney store when we get into Tokyo and get our dated tickets. thanks for the Tip!! any clue if there's one not to far from where we're staying?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    Details?
    www.jetstar.com It's QANTAS Discount carrier here in Australia. got $AUD1081 return $700 cheaper then anyone else. Were flying domestic Melbourne to Sydney then Sydney to Osaka, Return Osaka to Brisbane, then Domestic Brisbane to Melbourne.

    Thanks for all the help so far guys!

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    If you are overnighting in Osaka, get your tickets at the Disney Store found next to the Osaka JR Train station on the 4th floor of the Hep5 shopping plaza. It is the shopping building witht giant red ferris wheel on the top. Can't miss it. Also, if you have time.. stop by Universal Japan, which is only 20 mins away from there on the JR train. You have come too far to miss that as well.

    One more thing... remember the Disney Store at Ikpiari does NOT sell TDR tickets. You will have to go to the other ones in Tokyo...several locations in Shibuya, Odaiba, Funabashi.. etc etc.

  7. #7

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    18

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    I'm an enthusiast in Japan and I see a problem in your plan.
    Try your best to understand my words since my Eng is very poor.

    According to your schedule,it seems that you would travel by Shinkansen(Bullet-train) from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo on 20th and return to Kyoto on 28th.There are three types of Japan Rail Pass-7,14 or 21days.If you really follow your schedule,you have to buy a 14-day Rail Pass(¥45100),but a 7-day one only costs you ¥28300.So my suggestion is,buy a 7-day pass and go to attractions that you have to go by Shinkansen in 7 days as much as possible.For the remaining 7 days,you can stay in cities which are not far away from your hotel in order to save money on transportation.

    In Tokyo,Osaka and Kyoto,you can buy a local one day-pass without using the Rail Pass,I strongly recommend that the Rail Pass should be used only on the 7 days for expensive trans-city rail journeys(Shinkansen,Limited Express)but not the cheap local journey.

    You can ask me any questions you like and point out my grammatical misticks ^^.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    There are some grammar mistakes but no one cares about that. You stated your point and opinion quite well. Thank you.

  9. #9

    • Will return Soon...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    If you are overnighting in Osaka, get your tickets at the Disney Store found next to the Osaka JR Train station on the 4th floor of the Hep5 shopping plaza. It is the shopping building witht giant red ferris wheel on the top. Can't miss it. Also, if you have time.. stop by Universal Japan, which is only 20 mins away from there on the JR train. You have come too far to miss that as well.

    One more thing... remember the Disney Store at Ikpiari does NOT sell TDR tickets. You will have to go to the other ones in Tokyo...several locations in Shibuya, Odaiba, Funabashi.. etc etc.
    Brilliant Info thank you so much TDLFAN, were staying at a hotel opposite Osaka JR Station so that will work out great.

    I really want to make it to Universal in Osaka, and I'm sure ill find away to justify it :P after the taste i got on spiderman in florida this past August. And from what you say it performs much better. Thanks for telling me what i wanna here

    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate~chy~ View Post
    I'm an enthusiast in Japan and I see a problem in your plan.
    Try your best to understand my words since my Eng is very poor.

    According to your schedule,it seems that you would travel by Shinkansen(Bullet-train) from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo on 20th and return to Kyoto on 28th.There are three types of Japan Rail Pass-7,14 or 21days.If you really follow your schedule,you have to buy a 14-day Rail Pass(¥45100),but a 7-day one only costs you ¥28300.So my suggestion is,buy a 7-day pass and go to attractions that you have to go by Shinkansen in 7 days as much as possible.For the remaining 7 days,you can stay in cities which are not far away from your hotel in order to save money on transportation.

    In Tokyo,Osaka and Kyoto,you can buy a local one day-pass without using the Rail Pass,I strongly recommend that the Rail Pass should be used only on the 7 days for expensive trans-city rail journeys(Shinkansen,Limited Express)but not the cheap local journey.

    You can ask me any questions you like and point out my grammatical misticks ^^.
    Thanks for that info Ultimate! I'm terrible when it comes to grammar so I'm not one to judge! i've been looking for some clear information on the rail pass and you have helped tremendously!!

    i've been reading my Lonely planet book and they have set out this fantastic walking tour in Nara only 5 klms and sounds beautiful, so i think we will be taking a day trip out of Kyoto to do that. or even an afternoon...

  10. #10

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    18

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    JR Pass is very useful but I really hate some of the limitations.You can't travel by any のぞみ(Nozomi) Shinkansen trains which operate between Tokyo,Nagoya,Kyoto,Shin-Osaka,Shin-Kobe,Hirishima,Hakata,etc...But you can still reserve reserved seats for ひかり(Hikari) and こだま(Kodama) trains whick are much slower.That means you have to check the timetable carefully before making any reservations.

    Since you will stay in Disney Resort for 3 days,you can buy a 3-Day Magic Passport(¥12900 only!).In the 3rd day,you can access to both parks and finish the remaining attractions.

    P.S.Nara is great because it is a quiet place,it gives you the feeling of relaxation than you can't find in Tokyo and Osaka.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: I'm Off to Japan!!!

    And Nara's deer park is a fav spot for tourists.

Similar Threads

  1. Tour Japan and its greatness with "Markie in Japan" on Youtube
    By Marky4839 in forum Tokyo Travel Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
  2. PS3 isn't getting any love in Japan
    By justjohn in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
  3. Japan
    By Speedway in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 05:19 AM
  4. Do you Know Anyone in Japan?
    By NeverNeverland in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 08:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •