Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: First time at Tokyo Disney Sea: it's like being a kid again.

Ha ha... you bet. I feel so fortunate I switched from going to TDL to Disneysea at the last minute. One day I want to return and do both.

- Anatole

• Banned User

I agree about the illusion of being underwater and the theming of the pod itself is amazing. Every little detail inside convinces you that it is an authentic underwater sub.

I missed the detail about the oxygen gauge, though I did see it move around at different points. For anyone who hasn't been on the ride, there is also a light that you get to use a couple times during the ride. A bell goes off and the joystick lights up, and that is your cue to move the subs outside light and use it to illuminate different parts of the environment outside the pod.

A nice touch of interactivity.

- Anatole

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Yes, since day 1. Fire floats on the water as it escalates down the temple.

I beg to differ. 20K is a bona-fide E ticket, as it is lavish, well done and incorporates a major storyline. This is not your average C-ticket, like those in Fantasyland. The illusion of being underwater alone is quite convincing.
    I agree with TDLFAN. 20,000 Leagues is a definite E-ticket attraction. The detail of the sets, the musical score, etc are all top notch and of the highest quality.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I can't believe we are even having this conversation. 20,000 Leagues is an amazing attraction and well worthy of being an E Ticket. Just because it doesn't offer any drops, inversions, or sharp turns does not make this attraction a C Ticket. As its just as good in my opinion to Tower of Terror or Indy, except they have the thrill factor and 20,000 Leagues doesn't. To call it a C Ticket is a slap in the face to the Imagineers who designed and built that attraction!

• Banned User

Ha ha... well okay I see everyone's side in this. It is a dark ride like one of the c tickets in Fantasyland, but has the theming, scale and budget of an E ticket ride.

I am sure the imagineers will hardly feel slighted by someone on an internet chat board calling it a c ticket, and most certainly would not consider it as serious as a slap on the face.

At least I would hope they wouldn't. lol.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Too late anatole, as half of Glendale is already ticked off at you.

• Banned User

Only half? I won't be happy until all of Glendale is mad at me! >_<

- Anatole

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Anatole69 View Post

I am sure the imagineers will hardly feel slighted by someone on an internet chat board calling it a c ticket, and most certainly would not consider it as serious as a slap on the face.
    If I had spent 5 years of my life working on a brand new E Ticket, to than have some internet geek describe it as a C Ticket, I wouldn't be happy.

Also I take it the other half of Glendale that are not mad with him worked on DCA.

• Banned User

Ha ha... well then if I spent 5 years of my life working on an attraction, only to have Jennifer Love Hewitt say "You're an imagine ear? What kind of doctor is that" maybe then I would be angry. Maybe.

To have an internet fan call it a c-ticket? Bwa ha ha...

- Anatole

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Those are some great photos! I'd love to see Tokyo Disneyland and especially see DisneySea too. I want to ride their Tower of Terror- from what I heard it is not tied into the Twilight Zone, like the ones in America and Florida.

I'm also curious: is the ship just thier for theming or can you go inside it?

• Goofy

wow what great pictures thanks.

• Banned User

Yes the Tower of Terror has a different story line. I had a fast pass for it, but decided not to go when I learned it was a drop ride. I wish I had now though, since I have seen footage of the ride and it doesn't seem so bad.

I believe there is a restuarant inside the ship, but I didn't go in so I can't say for certain. Somewhere on the web I read an article about plans for a ride that was never constructed inside, so I am guessing it is earmarked for an eventual attraction to be placed inside it.

- Anatole

• Banned User

No atraction is planned for the ship and you will read why below. Plus the attraction at the ship is outside, on the dock stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Those are some great photos! I'd love to see Tokyo Disneyland and especially see DisneySea too. I want to ride their Tower of Terror- from what I heard it is not tied into the Twilight Zone, like the ones in America and Florida.
    Correct. The TDS TOT has a somewhat complicated storyline.. with Mr. Hightower, the owner of the building, is an entrepreneur and explorer who goes around the world collecting exotic and strange artifacts. But in reality, he is a thief. He stumbles upon an african tribe, who is more than happy to give him a little God statue named Shiriki Utundu. Unknown to everyone except the tribe people... Shiriki is possessed by an evil spirit who makes the statue come to life and kill. (think Karen Black on "Trilogy of Terror") Upon Mr. Hightower's return to NYC, he opens this hotel, which also serves as a museum of his collections and travels around the World. On opening night, Mr. Hightower is more than happy to show off Shiriki Utundu to the gathered press. Last time anyone sees Mr. Hightower that night was when he stepped into the elevator with Shiriki in hand.. Next thing we all know, the elevator plummeted and the only thing found amidts the destroyed elevator was Shiriki Utundu. Fast forward several year... The show on the ride picks up after the Conservation Society of NYC has taken over the Hotel, which has been closed since that opening night. Tour guides from the Conservation Society take guests through the offices and artifact collection stockroom of Mr. Hightower, and the guests are then invited to take the elevator for a visit to Mr. Hightower's private quarters at the top of the building... From there on, the fun begins, as Shiriku Utundu tries to kill the unsuspecting guests.
    From outside the building, park guests below see Shiriki's power (green lightning bolts he seems to emit) blasting elevators away before they reach the top of the building. This is a very unique aspect of TDS' TOT, and a very interesting and creepy storyline that the Twilight Zone storyline does not accomplish that well.

I'm also curious: is the ship just there for theming or can you go inside it?
    Both. The ship is a real building attached to the ground, but made to be a floating vessel by the fabulous design of the area. From certain areas of the park, the SS Columbia ship appears to actually be floating on Tokyo Bay. It's a most accomplished visual trick by the Imagineers. The boat houses two public areas... the Teddy Roosevelt Bar, which is gorgeous and features dark woods and other stunning decor, and the SS Columbia Dinning Room, another stunning sitdown restaurant that is reminicent of the first class restaurants aboard ships like the Titanic and Queen Mary. Truly great decor and atmosphere there. The ship also serves as the changing room areas for the performers and crew that work on the show outside of the ship. There is a show stage just outside the ship where character shows perform daily.
    Guests can also explore the ship's bow area and from here, on clear days you get an excellent view of Mt. Fuji to the west of Tokyo Bay. You also get some great park view from the ship's bow as well. It's a "must do" thing to do when you visit TDS. Go to the bow and do your impression of "I'm King of the WORLD!!!" like Leo did in the Titanic film!!
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 02-28-2008 at 11:06 PM.

• Banned User

Wow, nice explanations TDLFAN.

Wish I had gone inside the ship now.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Reason to return.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast