Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Upcoming Face Character Auditions in L.A.

Ive gone to two face character auditions so far and plan on going to the ones in LA on March 14th for Tokyo Disneyland. Has anyone gone to one of Tokyo's auditions before? Im trying to figure out how to plan for this one, basically wondering if they do anything different from DIsneyland auditions or WDW auditions because they were both VERY different! Anyone who plans on going to these auditions, I would love to hear from you also! I can't wait. Hopefully third time is a charm!!!!!
    "The more you like yourself the less you are like anyone else and that makes you unique." -Walt Disney

Re: Upcoming Face Character Auditions in L.A.

I have done one face character contract in tokyo before. The audition started with them bringing in a group of people and having them line up. They look at your face and then teach you a small dance. You then perform this dance in groups of 3 and after the dance they make a cut. You then have to come into the audition room by yourself as a disney character and act as if the auditoners are kids and show how you can be the character. After that they make another cut. From there they do measurements and pictures and send everyone home to wait and see if you get a phone call telling you if you got it.

• Quality not quantity

Are there any language requirments?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Just to be able to speak english.

• Quality not quantity

Excellent, I speak English!

So if they need a face character for Baloo I'm all set.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

OK, cool that's pretty much what I expected. So unlike the other auditions they don't cut right away for face? You get an opportunity to show your dance skills and THEN they make a cut, is that right?? What exactly did you do in Tokyo DL? What was your character? Do you have any specific tips on what they might be looking for? Seeing my face, do you think I have a chance?
    "The more you like yourself the less you are like anyone else and that makes you unique." -Walt Disney

• Shubisha

I'll actually be going to this one for the morning audition. I've been to 2 of them before and am hoping that since I've lost weight maybe I'll get lucky.

You go into the room as a large group and line up. They look at you for a bit and then teach you a simple dance routine. It usually includes at least 8 counts of waving and ends with a bow/curtsey/pan pose. They're not trying to see how well you dance they're just trying to picture how you'll move in a character. It's not a dance audition so you won't get to show off anything about that. If you've never done anything like it before ever then it can take some effort to pick up and do though. They've made jokes to the fact that most of these LA auditions are filled with Disneyland people who know how to dance and can pick up that kind of simple choreography in a snap so they don't have to remind us to not focus on the choreography as much as smiling and showing a character because they know we can pick up the choreography with a lot of practice.

You do the dance and then walk up closer to their table to let them get one last close look at you and then you're done. You wait for the rest of the group to finish, they talk for a little bit more, and then they announce some people that they're going to keep around(usually tends to be 2-8 from the group but it's not predetermined). Those people haven't made it yet they've just made it to some further character work.

If you want to hear what we danced to the 2 times I've been to the auditions, here's the first and the second time we danced to track 2 on the song list from this page.
    Last edited by almandot; 02-22-2008 at 11:26 PM.

• Banned User

I think the worst part of the whole thing is getting TDLFAN's seal of approval once on stage.. and trust me, your role playing will be heavily criticized by me if not performed to Disney (OLC's?) perfection.

Wow, thank you guys so much for the help, it's been great so far and I loved the song addition with almandot's post, that was so cool!! I cant wait for the audition. Keep the tips coming! Almandot, how far did you make it??

I actually did one of the Prince Tracks while over there, but yes they do look for characterization while dancing and not really the dance skills. Only tip I have for you is to have fun and do your best. You never know quite what they are looking for. You might look exactly like one character, but they usually don't like that since they need someone who can play multiple characters.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely have fun doing it! I can't wait! I feel more prepared for the audition than ever before! Everyone keep the tips coming, this is great!

• Lost in Wonderland

Tokyo typically has their face characters portray 2-3 different characters, so even light-skinned (white) people are often used to portray Aladdin & Jasmine.

• Shubisha

As of the last audition, Aladdin's track was Aladdin and Jack Sparrow. The classic princesses along with Belle and maybe Ariel are usually all interchangeable

That's so cool! What about Mary Poppins?? Could you be wigged for her at the audition? Im worried I wont be able to pull off an English accent.......

The track they are doing currently in Tokyo is actually Aladdin, Snow Prince, and Bert.

They do look for Mary Poppins at Tokyo auditions, but they don't wig people and I wouldn't worry about an accent.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast