Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie!

Talking Newbie!

Konnichiwa!
    Hardy Emi desu!
    Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

I'm new here on mice chat, finally found a TDL forum!

I went to TDL a good 10 years or more ago, and vaguely remember having a great time!

Now with kids of my own, I'd love to go back one day, except flights to Japan are sooo very expensive!

Please give me a newbie guide to visiting the resort from the UK?!

Yoroshiku ne?!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by mulan1 View Post
    Please give me a newbie guide to visiting the resort from the UK?!
    Hmm I guess it looks like its up to me to provide that information

Hi mulan1, first you have really only one main airport for direct flights to Tokyo and thats Heathrow. The main airlines are Virgin, BA, Japan Airlines and ANA that offer direct flights. Despite the insane airfare accomendation isn't to badly priced depending on where you wish to stay. Expedia.co.uk offer some good packages. Due to time differences your likely to loose a day in air travel, but make it up on the way back.

If you got your heart set on taking the kids to an Asian Disney park, why not give Hong Kong a try. Flights are much better priced, compare to Tokyo.

Welcome to the forum by the way, if your after more specific questions let me know. I'm from the UK myself and have visited the TDR twice now.

thanks malin (are you the same malin from dis?)
    the reason i want to go TDR is cos my mum is japanese and i have family out there so it would be part of a longer trip visiting relatives and so on, i was thinking 1 night and 2 days, staying onsite. I didnt know expedia did trips to TDR i will check it out.
    I went to TDR a long time ago when I was 8ish and again about 14ish and it was fab! i'd love to see te disney sea park!
    So what do you recommend in terms of accomodation and do they have much vegetarian choices in the restaurants?
    thanks!
    Eemaan

• Banned User

Yeah I am the same Malin who post on dis

I think its great your wanting to visit Japan and of course who couldn't resist going all that way and not visiting Disney.

By the way correction about expedia, there don't book any direct packages with TDR, but do book flights and hotels to many areas close to the Resort. Tokyo has a fantastic train system and no where in Tokyo is that far away from the Resort. If your looking to stay on site, I know you can book directly with the Hilton online.

I think your wise to have two days to the Resort with a day at each park. If your wishing to splash out while at the Resort you may like to consider a stay at either Hotel Mira Costa or the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, thats
    opening this summer.

Tokyo Disney Resort has a massive selection of resturants that cater well to all taste. The selection is in my opinion greater than that of Disneyland Resort Paris, which of course I'm sure your used too.

• Banned User

I am vegetarian and I had difficulty finding a reasonable meal in Disneysea. One restaurant there, the Ristorante di Canaletto, has a vegetarian menu, but it was a bit pricey.

I ended up having a slice of cheese pizza in the Zambini Brothers Ristorante, though I couldn't find just a cheese slice without meat on the menu, so the manager had to tell the counter person my order. In typical Japanese fashion, he waited off in the wings until it was my turn to order, and then he came over and personally made sure I got my cheese slice.

Man being a vegetarian was a pain in Asia, let me tell you.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Aw.. I am sure you could have survived on rice cakes, you know.. , the ones that have salmon in them? Oh wait..

• Banned User

Ha ha... those 100 yen rice cakes in the quickie marts were the best, the problem was getting the one or two that had plum or seaweed in the middle and not fish. It meant I was always bothering random Japanese people to help me find the veggie rice cake. Good thing the Japanese are polite about helping with directions and stuff like that, otherwise my time in Japan would have been a little rougher around the edges, for sure.

oh dear! well i'm not actually vegetarian, so could eat any fish meals, but I could only have halal/kosher meat, which i doubt they would supply on request like you can at disneyland paris. So hence i'd be a vegetarian during my stay, is there a list of menus on the board somewhere where i could check out whats on offer?
    thanks for the replies,

another Q is staying at the mira costa hugely expensive, i would like to stay there, it looks fab, but how easy is it to get to parks from the partner hotels? and are the trains expensive?
    Eemaan

• Banned User

Partners hotel usually have bus service to/from TDR at certain times of the day. Buses may also be restricted to maximun capacity and/or limited operating times through the day. But the times I have stayed in partner hotels..I have opted for the convenience of the train service since it allows for greater flexibility in terms of the times you want to get to or leave the parks. The trains' cost depends on how far away you are from TDR. The basic cost of the train is like 130yen from nearby stations like Shin-Kiba or Shin-Urayasu. If you are going to TDR exclusively, do try to stay in hotels no farther than Urayasu or Odaiba, or maybe those close to Tokyo station, since train fares will be cheaper than staying in areas like Shinjuku or Shibuya. Still, even from those farther areas, the train service is convenient, if you don't mind making a quick transfer here or there...and braving the rush hour crowds at times.

• Banned User

another Q is staying at the mira costa hugely expensive, i would like to stay there, it looks fab, but how easy is it to get to parks from the partner hotels? and are the trains expensive?
    The hotel Mira Costa is a nice hotel but certainly is pricy, as any top Disney hotel would be. Its also very difficult to book from what I've heard as the only way to do it is calling a number in Japan.

You could try the Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotels, they're only about 5-10 mins away from the resort, and since they are a TDR Partner hotel you have the free shuttle service to the resort itself, that and the hotel looks great

http://www.palmandfountainterracehot...ons/index.html

thanks for the link, that hotel looks nice and reasonable!
    i've seen TDRFANs pics of mira costa and the oes on the hotels site and it looks lovely, i especially like the idea of seeing the parades from your room! awesome!
    Eemaan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    The hotel Mira Costa is a nice hotel but certainly is pricy, as any top Disney hotel would be. Its also very difficult to book from what I've heard as the only way to do it is calling a number in Japan.
    Booking itself is not that difficult. Being able to book on some of the night you might want might be tricky, which is reason why you must call 6 months ahead on that first day of the window.

• Banned User

thanks for the link, that hotel looks nice and reasonable!
    i've seen TDRFANs pics of mira costa and the oes on the hotels site and it looks lovely, i especially like the idea of seeing the parades from your room! awesome!
    So youhave not seen TDLFAN's pics then?

But FYI.. currently, there are NO parades at TDS. Actually, that last time we had a parade at TDS was like 3 yrs ago. You will however catch the water shows on the harbor and some of the lagoon side shows... like the current Season of the Heart greetings...or upcoming Spring Festival show, etc. And you can see them ONLY from some of the rooms facing the lagoon.. meaning the priciest ones at the hotel, and the ones that apparently sell out first. The other 2/3rds of the rooms will not allow you a view of such shows, the lagoon or the volcano.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimezy
    You could try the Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotels, they're only about 5-10 mins away from the resort, and since they are a TDR Partner hotel you have the free shuttle service to the resort itself, that and the hotel looks great
    When I rode the bus to/from those hotels and TDR, it was about 12 mins ride one way...in good traffic. Just one word of caution... these hotels are branded economy. Do not expect much in regards to amenities and such... Think of it as paying moderate to luxury WDW prices but getting the Pop Century, with more elegant design on the buildings. It's a good alternative but a bit far away from the Shin-Urayasu train station if you want to venture into Tokyo. I am not sure the hotel provides a shuttle to the train station itself, or if you have to ride to TDL and get to Maihama from there.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Booking itself is not that difficult. Being able to book on some of the night you might want might be tricky, which is reason why you must call 6 months ahead on that first day of the window.
    Well we've often had reports on here that people have had trouble getting through.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast