• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Question First trip to Japan - Help with Tokyo Disney

I'm just starting to plan my first trip to japan! Very excited. I have a few questions about the parks:

1) Is anything in the rides translated into English, or will I simply be enjoying the sights?

2) is it possible to hit both parks in one day one a weekday in oct?

3) I'm really only interested in hitting up original rides and rides different from the Disneyland counterparts.

4) anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: First trip to Japan - Help with Tokyo Disney

I've been to TDS but not TDL, though I have watched many videos of the rides at TDL. It seems like it is all in Japanese... though when you already know the original ride it makes it easier to follow. TDS has more of the original rides and there the language difference becomes more of an issue, IME.

- Anatole

1) Is anything in the rides translated into English, or will I simply be enjoying the sights?
    Pirates of the Caribbean is in full english besides the talking skull at the start, some of the other attractions have parts in English, but they all most certainly cater for Japanese.

You'll have to ask someone else, but most probably yes. But to experience everything i would go both parks over 2-3 days, just to be safe.

3) I'm really only interested in hitting up original rides and rides different from the Disneyland counterparts.
    Disneyland-
    -Space Mountain (seeing as it got a complete makeover)
    -The New Monsters Inc ride (opens in 09 though)

Disneysea-
    -Everything, nearly every attraction there is original and not seen in any other parks.

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998 View Post
    I'm just starting to plan my first trip to japan! Very excited. I have a few questions about the parks:

As in the audio in the ride? No there isn't a lot.
    It's possible but certainly not practical. You will have to purchase either full day passes to both or a special nighttime pass for one.
    Are you serious?? Why?! If that's all you do, you have no reason to visit DisneySea, but you will be seriously missing out.
    See answer to number three.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• Banned User

Umm... I think DSF meant to write you will have no reason to visit TDL, since that is where the cloned rides are. TDS has most of the originals, though Indy and TOT are there too.

You haven't lived until you've seen an Indy AA speak in Japanese though, and the safety film in the que with the actor speaking Japanese in a Spanish accent is a mind blower too. Ha ha.

- Anatole

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998 View Post

Thanks!
    1) You don't need to understand Japanese to be able to enjoy all the shows and attractions. Its fairly easy to pick up whats going on.

2) No its not possible, unless you buy two seperate tickets. And even than the parks are very busy in Oct thanks to Halloween and the lines for most of the top attractions will have 2-3 hrs waits. To try and rush both parks in one day isn't wise as you will not fully apreciate the TDR experience.

3) If you wish to experience original attractions and the unique attractions I recomend atleast a day at each park.

4) Fast Pass is very popular in Japan and you need to be aware of how it works, to get the most out of your visit.

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

yeah let me clarify:

What I don't want to waste time with are rides that are exact clones of a US ride.

If the ride is significanly different from the counterpart then I would want to check it out to compare.

For instance if haunted mansion had two additional rooms
    to Disneyland, I'd say thats worth checking out.

Does that make more sense?

• Sock Puppet

When is the new Monster's Inc. ride supposed to open.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan4 View Post
    When is the new Monster's Inc. ride supposed to open.
    As far as I know.. spring 2009.

Now... for the original poster's question, Malin explained most everything.

But since this person is not into doing the same clones... these are the rides to skip (even if they differ in some minor ways to the USA ones):
    -IASW (same as WDWs)
    -Haunted mansion (Same as WDW's) But do the Nightmare overlay for halloween.
    -All C-tickets.. Peter/Snow/Pinochio (similar to those at DL or WDW)
    -Space Mt. (cosmetic differences but similar to DL's)
    -Pirates (a smaller version of DLs)
    -Jungle Cruise (same at WDW but left handed version)
    -Roger cartoon spin (same as DL's)
    -Spinners. (tea cups/Dumbo/Autopia)
    -Thunder Mt. (better than WDW and DL's but basically the same ride)
    -Astroblasters (same as DLs)

DO Ride:
    -Pooh Hunny Hunt.
    -TDL's Splash Mt. (an improved version over WDWs)
    -Tiki Room with Stitch
    -Catch the parades and shows at TDL.. this is their forte. Best of any parks.

Over at TDSea..
    DO EVERYTHING. The only clone here is Indy Ride and even that is different than DL's in many ways.
    Also, Tower ot Terror.. is similar to DCA's but the show/story is totally different, meaning NO twilight theme. More spooky in feel.
    Again, catch all the theater shows and lagoon shows at TDSea. they are unique to this park.

Hope that helps.

However, if you only have one day, then CHOOSE ONE PARK ONLY. There is no 1-day hoppers at TDR. You can buy a regular day ticket to one of the parks and buyt an After 6pm pass for the other, if available on the day of your visit.

• KotBR

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    -All C-tickets.. Peter/Snow/Pinochio (similar to those at DL or WDW)
    I have to disagree with this one. Snow White, in particular. One of my friends grew up absolutely traumatized by the TDL version. To this day, she avoids even the Anaheim version. Since I grew up with the Anaheim one, I really couldn't understand it; when I finally rode the Tokyo version, I could definitely see how it could scare the living daylights out of a young girl.

After that, I made it a point to go on all the "clone" rides, specifically to see the differences.

I definitely agree with TDLFAN when he says to choose only one park if you only have one day to spend. You'll definitely want to spend the time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikelurker View Post
    I have to disagree with this one. Snow White, in particular. One of my friends grew up absolutely traumatized by the TDL version. To this day, she avoids even the Anaheim version. Since I grew up with the Anaheim one, I really couldn't understand it; when I finally rode the Tokyo version, I could definitely see how it could scare the living daylights out of a young girl.
    Hmmm. Interesting. Personally, while all of the Snow Whites rides at TDL, DL and DLP have their differences, they pretty much follow the same story line and presentation. Only WDW's Snow ride is a sugary mess of horrific mannequins and cardboard proportions, and THAT scares the **** out of me more than any of the other versions of the ride. I miss the original WDW version which was dark and scary, and had a great ending. But that is NO more the case.

Are we talking about when the Queen turns into the Witch, and when the witch is waiting behind the door of the 7 Dwarfs house?

Cause the 2nd one literally scared the crap out of my sister and she's 19

• World Traveler

Take lots of money. They have great souvenirs that you wont find anywhere else.

• Banned User

With the disastrous currency exchange right now... better NOT take a lot of money, because it will cost you a whole lot more.