Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journey

• Banned User

Journey

I've never been to TDR, but this is a question for those who have. I am curious about the Journey to the Center of the Earth coaster. How does this ride compare to the best Disney rides in Florida and California? Thanks.

• The Darkness to Light

Re: Journey

First off, it's not a roller coaster. It runs on the same ride system as Test Track and Indy, to give you some perspective.

Secondly, as far as comparison to the "best" rides Disney has in the states, it all depends on what you consider the best rides.

If you are coaster buff that loves Rockin' Roller Coaster, the ride has nothing really for you until you get to the end when the Test Track speed kicks in.

Fans of Test Track will probably like JttCotE better because of the various set designs and close-quarter special effects.

Dark Ride fans, particularly the ones that like Indy or Dinosaurs/CTX, will love the ride as well, since the technology and design of the ride are pushed farther than what we have here in the states. The ride also boasts the largest AA on record for TDR, and you get to see it for a longer time than you do the yeti in Expedition Everest.

Fans of emerssive storytelling will like the ride even if the primary dialouge is in Japanese. There is still a lot of visual elements in the ride that help tell you what is going on and move the story along without relying so heavily on the language.

But, having not ridden the attraction myself, this is all invalid in the eyes of some. However, I hope that my post will at least be interesting to you.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Good comments Zeekslider. I rode it once today. Still lots of fun.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

Joe, I need to know if you can meet at TDR this coming week..

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 06:20 PM.

• Seasick

I didn't think it had anything to do with the Indy ride system, only Test Track.

In any case, it's a true E-ticket and I'd place it somewhere in my top ten list of Disney attractions.

The acceleration & drop at the end are a thrill unique to Disney theme parks.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I don't feel its right to compare Journey to the Centre of the Earth to any of the attractions in the States. Every attraction and show should be based on its own merits. I second what JoeInJpn said about Zeekslider's coments very good. And nice to see Joe posting on here, as he's be very quiet lately

My personal views on Journey is that its a great dark ride with some amazing efects and an incredible ending with an encounter with the Lava Monster and the high speed ending. No trip to TDS should be done without riding this attraction, totally unique.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Anatole69 View Post
    I don't remember any of the ride being in Japanese, actually.
    There's scripted dialouge during the cave-in scene that I've heard on several on-ride videos, probably announcing that there was an earthquake causing the tour to be diverted down an "uncharted" route. From what I've see, I would guess that's where the Indy technology comes into play, as every video I've seen of that scene is really shaky leading me to believe the ride vehicle rumbles a bit while it makes that turn.

Confirmation of this, Joe or TDLFAN?
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    There's scripted dialouge during the cave-in scene that I've heard on several on-ride videos, probably announcing that there was an earthquake causing the tour to be diverted down an "uncharted" route. From what I've see, I would guess that's where the Indy technology comes into play, as every video I've seen of that scene is really shaky leading me to believe the ride vehicle rumbles a bit while it makes that turn.

Confirmation of this, Joe or TDLFAN?
    That's correct, the vehicle does rumble when you make the "wrong turn" at the cave in. In this way the vehicle does move somewhat on the chassis, but nowhere near to the same degree as Indy. The track system for both rides appears to be identical as well.

Yes the dialogue, of which there is also some in the "base station" queue area is in Japanese, but it's clear by to the tone of voice and action what is going on.

I really love this attraction and it's probably my favourite in Tokyo DisneySea. It's got a great, interesting story, superb theming, theres a lot to look at over multiple rides and it has that fun thrill element too. Perfect.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-02-2008 at 10:41 PM.

The words "火山活動, 発生! 火山活動, 発生!" (Volcanic activity is starting!) can be heard right after the deep-earth insects area.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 05:49 PM.

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 05:49 PM.

• Banned User

- Anatole
    Last edited by Anatole69; 04-01-2008 at 05:48 PM.

• Banned User

OK, thanks for the info, guys. Journey is listed as a coaster on Theme Park Insider, but obviously it should be listed as a dark ride. I just hope they build one in the U.S. one day, cuz I have no plans to visit Japan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast