Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Tribute: Disney's Dreams on Parade "Movin On"

Well folks, today is the last scheduled performance for this daytime parade at Tokyo Disneyland. It's currently 12:30pm (local Tokyo time) and it's due to begin at 3:00pm here. It has been raining since late morning and forecasts call for continued rain. So, we'll see if there is a last performance or not.

This original version, Disney's Dreams on Parade (DDOP), debuted in January 2003 as part of the Park's 20th Anniversary celebrations. It contained a "show mode" in which the parade would stop for a few minutes and Mickey, whose float was in the center of the parade, would invite guests to "wish together" to make their dreams come true.

After the 20th events ended in March 2004, some parade floats, the show mode and soundtrack were changed in order to remove references to the 20th. In Spring 2006, some floats were removed, new floats were added, a new soundtrack was written and Mickey was moved to the front of the parade. The show mode was also removed and the parade had a new name, Disney's Dreams on Parade 'Movin On'.

Early in 2008, the float featuring "Buzz Lightyear" had a structural failure during a performance and the parade was cancelled for a few days in order to run inspections on all the floats. When the parade returned, 5 floats were missing and all but the "Buzz" float subsequently returned.

The parade ends today and the new daytime parade "Jubilation!" will make its official debut on Tuesday, Aprl 15th for the Resort's 25th Anniversary celebrations. Sneak previews will begin in a day or two.

So, what are your lasting impressions of Disney's Dreams on Parade and its "Movin On" version? Feel free to add any photographs or links to videos online!

Obligatory Shameless Plug:
    http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/sho...dop/index.html

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 04-06-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    JoeInJpn
    Contact me at contact(at)jtcent(dot)com!
    For the latest TDR News, read JTCEnt.com's TDR Nempa Blog!
    Watch TDR Videos and Photos on Joe's Tokyo Disney Resort Photo Site!

Re: Tribute: Disney's Dreams on Parade "Movin On"

This was a great parade and it will be missed. Do you know if it's moving to another resort?

• Established 2005

This parade debuted the year I first worked at TDR, and was the reason I fell in love with TDR.

The sheer beauty, scope and size of the parade raised the bar for what I expect from the stateside parks.

Hopefully, this parade will be seen again elsewhere! WDW would buy this parade, if they were smart.

• Loves Mickey!

Joe were you in the park today? The weather is so gloomy and rainy and it's supposed to be the same tommorow. Is it true the parade was cancelled? I really liked this parade it was really fun and the music was great! The costumes were really nice too and I really wanted to ride the spinning tea cup float!! But it's good that this parade is being retired and the new parade is being introduced!

• Shubisha

The curse of anniversary debuting rain threatens to continue :P

And I thought I should repost this from the other thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Almandot
    I do hope there will be video taken and shared of it. I'm still quite sad I never got a recording of the underliner from someone, the way this parade and former self parade's music was arranged and organized is currently my favorite of any disney parade. The concept of starting out with the main theme blaring over the PA system for the opening unit and then skewing off into an underliner is something that seems so simple but hadn't been done up until that point, for dreams on parade and 100 years of magic you just had to listen to casio drumkit underliner in between choruses until the floats got to you, and most other parades just tried to settle on some underliner that was generic but decent enough on its own like spectro and sdct. =P WDW's new christmastime music has already chosen to follow suit with that concept.
    And to add to that, I'd be remiss to leave out comments about the original version for the 20th anniversary. The soundtrack was amazing, and was chalk full of that disney emotional feeling in every note. It wasn't some upbeat catchy jingle that some people even criticize tokyo for always doing in their parades, it was a very moving piece. The way each portion of the parade blended with each other while maintaining a uniquely themed style to it was so very well done. And while Jay Rasulo's attempts at tossing the dream theme around usually involve the parade spouting lyrics about "hey look at all our dreams coming true yay look characters dreams just came true," this one focused on the audience and tried its best to include them as the dream come true that makes Tokyo Disneyland possible, so keep dreaming on and on, of the good old days, of the frontier spirit, of a zip a dee doo dah time, of imagination, of future, of laughter, of an island paradise, of adventure, of happily ever after, but from the beginning they tell you that above all "you're the heart of disney's dreams" and by the time the grand finale float has reached you the concluding chorus is "here where the magic finds you, here where your spirit's free, in your heart know you're a part of one big family." While it continued a road traveled before in Disney parades, namely the Disneyland is Your Land style, I can't recall it ever blending so well. Even after the showstop when guests were invited to come onto the street and dream together, my favorite thing was as the showstop concluded and went back into parade mode how rather than just music randomly picking up to blare over the PAs with the parade theme, it really felt like the characters went right back to business and you were back in their themed world, with the bar piano streaming out of the saloon, the 3 little pigs serenading on the gazebo, brer rabbit brer fox and pluto strumming along on the old porch, etc..

When the parade switched into the Moving On format, they blew a breath of fresh air and changed the entire feel and pace of the parade, and they did it with Tokyo style. If they were going to keep parading the old floats down the street they were gonna get you clapping and singing along. And in what was likely a completely unintentional side-effect, their movement of the former fantasyland part 1 floats into the beginning of the parade turned the show into a really neat format... because the parade began with the band blaring and marching Mickey down the street followed by a long string of classical disney cartoon characters.. nothing really out of the ordinary these days(and basically the entirety of wdw's parade :P) but when you analyze it you realize they're all characters previous to 1955, and as the clocktower passes you by carrying peter pan and wendy, the background music skewers into an underliner as you're presented with a new world of themes, entering "the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy," a progression of old town main streets, the travel through the frontier, the westernland that had been won, the old time country, then a jump into the future, and a journey through toonish, tropical, and fairytale fantasies.
    Last edited by almandot; 04-07-2008 at 01:18 AM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Thanks for adding this thread JoeInJpn a fantastic topic to discuss And a personal request to you is to keep your Dreams on Parade coverage up on the site. Its a great tribute to this great parade.

Surely if the parade has been canceled today, OLC should hold it another day to not cheat fans and guest out of a last performance, don't let it end this way.

I think when I get home from work tonight I will play the full Dreams on Parade soundtrack

• The Darkness to Light

This parade was the capstone in my introduction to TDR, so it holds a special place for me. As such, I hold the parade as the premire example as to how to do a celebration parade for such a landmark year. Words cannot express how much I wish I was able to watch this parade in person.

That said, Joe, is this a different video of the original version? I seem to remember a version where you were behind the Partner's statue, but I lost that when my last computer crashed.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Shubisha

When Moving On first came out Joe had one that was curbside and then he replaced it with one from behind the partners statue that included the full intro and ending spiels.

• Loves Mickey!

I always liked this girls video of the parade cause it was pretty fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdclY1HLd0s

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    When Moving On first came out Joe had one that was curbside and then he replaced it with one from behind the partners statue that included the full intro and ending spiels.
    Yup, Almandot is right on! I switched videos of the "Movin On" version about a year ago. And I must add, I loved the way you analyzed the music and theming of this parade. Great writing!

JoeInJpn
    Last edited by JoeInJpn; 04-07-2008 at 05:04 AM.
    JoeInJpn

I went to TDL on Saturday to catch my final live viewing. Yeah, I'll admit it was a little emotional, but at least I didn't shed tears like a few guests I saw. Hehehe. I watched from "Fantasyland" near the "Critter Country" entrance. Then I followed the parade all the way around until "Toontown." It was sweet. During the parade, I took pictures and focused on the performers' and characters' faces. Here they are:

JoeInJpn
    JoeInJpn

• Loves Mickey!

Those are really lovely photo's Joe!

• Seasick

Love the photos and video Joe.

I've loved Tokyo's entertainment ever since I saw "100 Years of Magic" and the Halloween parade in 2002. I continue to import the CDs, the music is so good.

I just bought the "Moving On" CD and just love it.

• The Darkness to Light

Nice pictures, Joe. Prince Beast looks especially handsome for the final run.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    Yup, Almandot is right on! I switched videos of the "Movin On" version about a year ago. And I must add, I loved the way you analyzed the music and theming of this parade. Great writing!

JoeInJpn
    I meant the original version. I remember Joe having a video of the original Dreams on Parade where he was pearched near Partners and filmed the Mickey float, which was framed perfectly against the Cinderellabration archway at the time. It was cloudy, and looked cold given how many guests had winter coats on. He ended the video by focusing on Partners while the ending chaser played in the background.

The video I downloaded this morning features the Mary Poppins float show stop. That's why I'm asking what happened to the other one.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Listening to my Dreams on Parade Moving On CD, at the bit that features the Adventureland music. Great CD

I checked out the English Tokyo Disney Resort website before and the sites page dedicated to Dreams on Parade has been pulled down.

Here is one of my personal favourite videos

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=ShZOiKAifn8

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...eature=related

Oh and Joe love the pics, another request from me would be to add those on to your site. Great work, and happy to see you were able to make it to the park to see this parade for the last time, althrough I won't be suprised if one or two of the floats ended up making an apearance during the Coundown Parade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast