Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Cool Planning my TDR Trip!

    Hello everyone!

    Ever since I heard about Tokyo DisneySea I've really wanted to go. Now along with some friends I'm planning a trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort!!!

    Planning on going in sept or oct. preferrably october so I can see it(Disneyland) all dressed up for halloween and be there on my birthday.

    I am totally going all out planning on getting a nice room at the Miracosta. This trip probably won't happen till at least fall '09 so I can be sure I have enough money to throw around and buy whatever it is I want while there .

    First off is sept/oct a good time to go? I know closer to halloween it will be busier but I love the Nightmare before Christmas so thats another bonus to going around my b-day/halloween.

    And I guess secondly any tips and suggestions and must see things to do while there?

    Oh and also how in advance should I book the hotel?

    Thanks in advance for all the info and yes this is my first post here so thanks for welcoming me too!

  2. #2

    • HKDL is in my timezone!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    217

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    And I guess secondly any tips and suggestions and must see things to do while there?

    Oh and also how in advance should I book the hotel?

    Thanks in advance for all the info and yes this is my first post here so thanks for welcoming me too!
    Firstly, welcome to the forum!

    Secondly, hotel reservations open exactly 6 months in advance and usually sell like hot cakes. As such, ring up and book the MiraCosta exactly 6 months to the day that you are planning to arrive.

    Must-see things? It depends upon your taste but pretty much everything is worth doing there. I prefer DisneySea over their Disneyland in Tokyo and wouldn't miss a thing there but it's up to you.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011


  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    B-Dex first don't be a stranger here, we will be here on call 247 to answer any questions you have and welcome to the boards.

    First I'm happy to hear about you deciding to make the trip to Tokyo Disney Resort, you and your friends are in for a good time.

    Halloween is a good choice to visit the Resort and your in for a good time, althrough do be aware of the large crowds, especially at Tokyo Disneyland. This is where you must take advantage of the Fast Pass system.

    Like V1213 says you can book your room 6 months in advance and I recomend doing so, its a popular hotel. Also before you decide on Hotel Mira Costa please be aware that the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel opens this year in celebration of the 25th Anniversary.

    Check out these trip reports for more advice and recomendations http://www.jtcent.com/extras/reports.html

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
    Firstly, welcome to the forum!

    Secondly, hotel reservations open exactly 6 months in advance and usually sell like hot cakes. As such, ring up and book the MiraCosta exactly 6 months to the day that you are planning to arrive.

    Must-see things? It depends upon your taste but pretty much everything is worth doing there. I prefer DisneySea over their Disneyland in Tokyo and wouldn't miss a thing there but it's up to you.
    One reason I want the MiraCosta over the new hotel is the "early" entry into DisneySea. (Another is the killer view! Although being in the park adn doing stuff is most likely more fun than just staring at it) I've been to Disneyland in CA a bunch times so I know most of whats there (aside from the exclusives and how much better kept the Tokyo one is) Although I am no stranger to fastpass so getting on all the rides I want to shouldn't be too big of an issue.

    I was gonna get a 4-day pass and go to DisneySea, then Disneyland, then hop the last 2 days. I guess if I do end up at the new hotel I can just reverse the first two days.

    Oh and for all us non-Japanese folks how is it ordering at the restaurants? And do you recommend getting priority seating?

    And since I'm in an inquisitive mood in your honest opinions is getting concierge level rooms worth it? I am totally spoiling myself on this trip so to me it seems like I would want to go for it but if I can save some money and spend it on more souvenirs that might be a better option but I don't know. I've never stayed in an actual Disney Hotel so the only things I know about them are the fabulous pics and reviews everyone gives them.

    My mind is all over the place so if I jump from subject to subject forgive me.

    The new hotel does seem quite spectacular and I read you can get a Peter Pan room! I would wanna see pics first (it also sounds like its more fun for the kiddies but we're all big kids at heart right?!)

    Another reason TDR is a good pick for me is I did a homestay in Japan when I was in highschool so this is an excuse to go back. DisneySea wasn't even open when I was there!

    (I was checking out Joe's site and saw some pics of all the new years 08 merchandise and I'm killing myself for not knowing about DisneySea sooner I would have gone to get me some of those awesome items )

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Personally.. I would prefer the early entry benefit at DL over DisneySea, which is never as crowded as the original park.

  6. #6

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    161

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post


    Oh and for all us non-Japanese folks how is it ordering at the restaurants? And do you recommend getting priority seating?
    I didn't find the language barrier an issue at Disney at all. I guess you miss a bit of narration in some of the rides, but I actually quite liked hearing it, even if I wasn't 100% sure what was being said. I'm not sure what others have experienced, but I found all the CM's to be very helpful. There are plenty of menu's in English, including the counter service places. We found this to be the case in Tokyo itself too.

    We had a meal at the Blue Bayou in TDL. I had phoned their PS line a month in advance and booked it through that. I got a very helpful CM, who's English was excellent. The call was obviously routed to a English speaking CM, by the way, so don't panic there is an English option. I knew it was going to be a busy time, so I thought I'd better just make sure we had somewhere to eat. We had a really early PS time (5pm) it was almost empty when we got there, but by the time we left it was full, with a long line outside. You can book PS' through your Disney hotel also, or actually go to the restaurant that day and they give you a PS ticket.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    I knew it was going to be a busy time, so I thought I'd better just make sure we had somewhere to eat. We had a really early PS time (5pm) it was almost empty when we got there, but by the time we left it was full, with a long line outside.
    So would eating a bit earlier like lunch around 11 and dinner around 5 be a better option than getting PS during busy eating times? (seems obvious but still thought I would ask)

    And how long do parades and shows usually stay at the parks there? I would love to see the jubilation parade but it might be gone by the time I get there. Although if its replaced with something even more spectacular I wouldn't mind! (And of course I can always find out about stuff I miss at Joe's site)

    BTW, both Joe and TDRFan's websites gave me that extra push to go ahead and start planning this trip so thank you for keeping those updated and full of pics and vids! (if that other site is TDRFan's site) And don't worry I checked out your photo album's too TDLFAN, very nice as well!

    Sort of off topic but can anyone tell me why in that youtube clip of the 25th anniversary merchandise that the plush they showed is 600 dollars? That just blew my mind.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    On the plush... I can only guess those $600 plushes are very limited edition. I personally would love to have both of the parks' diorama with LED lights, but at $1,000 each...and the current value of the dollar versus the yen, it's just cost prohibitive. However, I may settle for the cheaper plush option.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    So would eating a bit earlier like lunch around 11 and dinner around 5 be a better option than getting PS during busy eating times? (seems obvious but still thought I would ask)

    And how long do parades and shows usually stay at the parks there? I would love to see the jubilation parade but it might be gone by the time I get there. Although if its replaced with something even more spectacular I wouldn't mind! (And of course I can always find out about stuff I miss at Joe's site)

    BTW, both Joe and TDRFan's websites gave me that extra push to go ahead and start planning this trip so thank you for keeping those updated and full of pics and vids! (if that other site is TDRFan's site) And don't worry I checked out your photo album's too TDLFAN, very nice as well!

    Sort of off topic but can anyone tell me why in that youtube clip of the 25th anniversary merchandise that the plush they showed is 600 dollars? That just blew my mind.
    I think eating a meal around 11.00 am is a good idea. My experience when it comes to the Disney parks is to have a large meal at lunch, followed by some more light around dinner. Don't forget you don't have to eat in the parks, althrough you sound like the person that would want to, TDR has many fine restuarants in the Hotels and Ikspiari, just be aware to avoid Rainforest Cafe.

    Jubilation should be around for the next 5 years until the 30th Anniversary comes along. However if you visit during Halloween it may not be running due to the Halloween Parade, as this has been the case in recent years. However saying that Jubilation is the 25th Anniversary Parade and it should in my opinion run for the entire Anniversary, no one yet seems to know if it will or not through!

    Joe's site is the best for past and present coverage of the TDR, the TDRFAN.com is not run by the same TDR_Fan, that post on here. Also have you tried http://www.resortathome.com which is another great TDR website in English.

    Regarding the Mickey plush, my jaw certainly hit the floor when I seen the price, I will be quite happy to just buy the regular standard 25th Anniversary Mickey plush.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Today, I did not see the $600 plush anywhere, but I did buy the regularly priced one.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Today, I did not see the $600 plush anywhere, but I did buy the regularly priced one.

    Maybe they realized that 600 dollars is ridiculous no matter what kind of plush and decided to rethink the price before selling it!

    I could understand if it was lifesize of Mickey but it seemed to be regular plush size.

    Although I must admit Donald is my personal fav so if they had a 600 dollar plush of him I might actually buy it haha.

  12. #12

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    I've been to the DL resort in California hundreds of times (kids too) and if you've been to DL in CA you will be pleased to know it has almost the exact same layout. So, when you want to go to Space Mountain, you know where to go, and if you want to go to Splash, you know it's on the other side of the park. Just Pirates is in a wierd place but convenient if that's your first stop. It's right after you enter the park taking Main Street alley to the left. As I said, almost exactly the same layout. Sometimes, I think I'm in California. You will also be happy with the attractions. For some reason, everything is just slightly better than the original, although I still prefer California's Space Mountain because of the speakers in the seats. As far as not understanding the narrations? I have my two kids to translate for me. They've been to DL so many times, they know all the scripts. It's very funny. Tiki Room is a different show though. That's fun. It looks the same, just an updated show and no Dole Whip. Also, if you want waffles for breakfast, forget it. That's an afternoon dessert here.

    October is a perfect time to go weather-wise. It'll just be starting to cool off from the oppressive heat of summer and might even miss the rains. It gets very hot and very cold here. Right now its starting to warm up, thank goodness, into the high 60s. It can get up to the 90s on some days in the summer so you'll be looking at good weather in October. As far as crowds, believe it or not, even if it is crowded, if you've been to DL in CA, it's about the same, just more room to move around in, no bottlenecks in front of Jungle Cruise.

    I haven't been to Disney Sea yet but my kids want to go to Tower of Terror so we will go eventually.

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Thanks for the info MsYumiBr,

    I shouldn't have too much trouble with the language, its only Kanji that will get me. Plus as an added bonus my friend in Tokyo said they would love to come and can help me out too!


    Although I should brush up on my vocabulary it is lacking.

    One of the things I'm most excited about is the Sea Salt ice cream! Anyone tried it? How is it?

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Dex View Post
    Maybe they realized that 600 dollars is ridiculous no matter what kind of plush and decided to rethink the price before selling it!

    I could understand if it was lifesize of Mickey but it seemed to be regular plush size.

    Although I must admit Donald is my personal fav so if they had a 600 dollar plush of him I might actually buy it haha.
    Not sure if they have pulled the plush off the shelf. Maybe they will sell it from the 15th on... I want the LED park dioramas!!! $1,000 each!!

    As for the seasalt icecream at mermaid lagoon.. to me it tasted like plain vanilla.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-13-2008 at 02:10 PM.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    70

    Re: Planning my TDR Trip!

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As for the seasalt icecream at mermaid lagoon.. to me it tasted like plain vanilla.
    That is rather disappointing to hear.

    I'll still try it though. The shell it comes in can be a good gift for my friend who is in love with Ariel :P (Haha don't worry I'll actually get them a real gift too)

    After doing all of this research for this trip I am sooo excited. It's gonna be a long year and a half

    Wish I got to travel around as much as you TDLFAN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help planning our first trip
    By dlandfanrsb in forum Tokyo Travel Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM
  2. [Question] Planning WDW trip. HELP!
    By BlAcKoUt510 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
  3. New here - planning a trip in Feb.
    By Courtney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 07:56 AM
  4. Planning a trip to DL on Wed 11/15
    By BrianFuchs in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
  5. Planning a trip
    By rune_74 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •