TDL's upgraded Space Mountain vs. DLR's Space Mountain

I just saw a video that TDL updated theirs recently and it looks different than the newer one in California.

Has anyone been on both? Are they similar?

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Re: TDL's upgraded Space Mountain vs. DLR's Space Mountain

I rode TDR's updated version in Feburary and although I haven't been on DLR's, I have been on HKDL's version, which I believe to be quite similar.

TDR's updated version is okay. It starts well. The queue and loading areas are really cool. The ship above the loading area is fantastic and the changing light show ensures that there is always lots to look at while you're waiting.
    The first section of the ride is similarly cool. Nice lighting effects line the first lift hills into the mountain but after that it all goes downhill... literally.
    I found the rest of the ride boring and disappointing.
    There were no effects inside the mountain except for the starfield, it wasn't particularly dark and there was no photo at the end. The lack of a soundtrack also detracted from the experience, much more than I had expected. I just can't ride Space Mountain without some sort of music.

I was so disappointed that I only rode it once during my 4 day stay at the resort - 90 minutes is just way to long to wait for that ride.

In contrast I love HKDL's version and rode it many, many, many times on my last visit. Paris' version is also great fun, but that's another kettle of fish.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Banned User

Well, all Tokyo got was a new queue and a bunch of signs. We actually have a refurbished track, a soundtrack, the "Spinning" lift, and the crazy Photo flash light tunnel part that succeeds in throwing my equilibrium off every time. Tokyo's is pretty much the same as it was in 1983. While Tokyo's refurb looks very well done, it's queue looks a little too advertising-oriented with all the Coke mentions.

• Banned User

As bad at TDL's SP may be... WDW's is still the worst version out there. Outdated and bumpy beyond belief.

I was there in Feb and took this updated ride. After I ride it, I was disappointed and feel its rubblish!!! I cannot hear any music during I ride it and the light effect is bad, of course cannot find any decor during the ride.
    Luckily HKDL has a better better better SM ride!

• Banned User

The music is a great enhancement..and they did a disservice to TDL's SM for not adding it recently. However, I rode this yesterday and do not think it's rubbish. Personally, I do not understand where this animosity comes from because we rode SM for years before music was added to it.... so to me, TDL's ride still has the retro feel I enjoy... being an old timer myself.
    One thing though... I was not happy that the outside of TDL's SM is not looking in good condition for the 25th anniversary...

Ok, I couldn't tell from the video I found if there was a soundtrack...I LOVE DLR's version, especially the ending effect, which looks like TDL also has....I wonder how they did that effect

• Golden State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    As bad at TDL's SP may be... WDW's is still the worst version out there. Outdated and bumpy beyond belief.
    i think you mean best version
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    As someone who's been going to WDW my whole life and rode DLR's for the first time 2 years ago, I have no doubt that most who have ridden both would agree that DLR's is by far better.

I've been on 4 Space Mountain... DLR (new version), TDL ("new" version), WDW and DLP (De la Terre a la Lune and Mission 2).

My current order would go something like this:

1-DLR
    2-TDL
    3-DLP
    4-WDW

The Disneyland one cause the music works great, the ride is smooth, fast and fun and all coasters considered... in my top 10.

TDL... LOVE the cast member costume, the music in the waiting line and the loading platform is awesome. But... the ride rattles too much and a complete lack of effects once you're off the second lift hold this one after Disneyland Resort. If they would have replaced the track and added music...

DLP... Oh my... poor Space Mountain, you went from being the best enclosed coaster in the world to a rough, violent coaster with no coherent theming or storyline. The music doesn't work at all with the ride, most of the new "effects" are just old effects that got fixed (spark trench notably). Plus, in order to save a few euros in maintenance, they decided to cut capacity down to 4 trains... but doing the launch from the bottom means that the catapult is taking a beating it was not designed for. So, eventually, they will need another huge rehab to break the concrete pad (if you stand next to the cannon, you'll notice a large concrete pad under your feet, that's where the 2 electric motors for the catapult are housed) and change those motors.

The inversions exits are rough! Back in 2001, you could visibly see, when walking the track, that the track there is not smooth anymore. When the Mission 2 was announced, I was hoping they would at least change those track sections. But, it wasn't in the budget and they repainted the old train and changed the logos.

De la Terre a la Lune was a Disney masterpiece, Mission 2 is a mess that not even Six Flags could have done. Nigloland in France (tiny, family owned amusement park) has an enclosed coaster and to my amazement, its a lot better than Mission 2 or Rock n Roller Coaster!

Walt Disney World is the worst for me. I enjoy just standing in the first room of the waiting line. Calm music, nice lighting, the star map... The waiting line then is nice, until you get near the stations and cause of fast pass, have to stand at the precise spot where the lifts go overhead... The metal rattling is terrible and completely breaks the illusion and ambiance the waiting line did until that point. You get to the stations and instead of trying to hide the mechanics of the ride, the stations are open! You see the track, brakes, hear the very old mechanism...

The ride itself is done. Its too worn out and at the end of its useful life. The shaking and rattling is more consistent with a wooden coaster whose tracks were not replaced in a LONG time! I also have doubts about the restraints on those trains... In 2003, during a Not So Scary Halloween Party, I had the restraint pop open after the lift. Pulling it down didn't do any good either. So... I just held on for dear life and prayed for the best... Luckily, I made it through to the end and the cast members were SHOCKED when they saw my restraint was already up when we were pulling in the unload. They called a manager and maintenance people and they were all shocked and confused at what happened.

Now, I've worked on a rollercoaster before and know quite a bit about the physic involved, so I knew to stay firmly seated and to hold on as best as I could.

(I was employed as a CM at that time... so I was not really in any position to do anything...)

I have only experienced TDL last summer and DLR 2006 last and at that time they were just introducing the night version of space with rock music. I didn't get to see that but I'm sure hearing Van Halen music in the backround woud have been cool. Anyway, next time I'm bringing my IPod with the soundtrack. I have a cd with all the park soundtracks on it. I wonder if it will give me the same experience. It's worth a try. To me, they are basically the same ride. It's way slower than I remember as a kid in the 70s though, but faster than the 90s.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    No. I meant the absolute worst. But if you like torture.. then more power to you.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No. I meant the absolute worst. But if you like torture.. then more power to you.
    Indeed, I haven't ridden the Asian versions, but WDW is certainly the worst. Personally I feel SM is an overrated experience anyway, that I would not wait any longer than 10 min for unless it's the DLP one (the original version I would wait an hour for and still be happy).
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Personally I feel SM is an overrated experience anyway, that I would not wait any longer than 10 min for unless it's the DLP one
    Completely agree with you davewasbaloo, I have very little time for this attraction at any of the parks, except in Paris. However it does have a very loyal fanbase so we must be in the minority.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've only ridden the ones at DL (last time was almost 20 years ago, before the music) and WDW, but I'll agree WDW's needs a MAJOR overhaul. There really hasn't been anything done to it in the 30 years it's been open (save for the post show). The track needs to be rebuilt for a smoother ride. Adding new trains with music would be great (I'll take the Dick Dale soundtrack, please).