Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Planning A Trip, So Many Questions..

I've been reading up on a lot of things on these boards and it's been a great help.
    I have a few questions about a trip I'm planning later this year.

I don't want it to be a Tokyo Disney Resort trip only.. I'd like to spend some time in Tokyo, visiting some of the different districts, etc. I'd also like to work in a visit to Universal Studios Japan.

I feel like my luggage would be holding me down a lot since a lot of the traveling is with public transit.. But if I wanted to a trip from USJ to Tokyo to TDR, what would be my best bet? I'll be flying Singapore Air and it looks like they don't fly into Osaka. Is Kansai Int'l (KIX) that much closer that I should fly there instead of Tokyo and then travel to Tokyo? Or should I just take a train from Tokyo?

Also, I imagine taking a Limousine Bus from the Airport to my first hotel won't be an issue and from my last hotel to the airport as well. But how would I manage to get around from one place to the other with my luggage? Isn't the cab fare really expensive and hauling luggage around the train stations completely unfeasible?

I would like to stay 2 nights in Osaka, 2 or 3 nights in Tokyo and 3 or 4 nights in the TDR, not necessarily in that order. My tentative dates are November 28-December 8, 2008.

I definitely won't be staying on-site this time so I'll probably opt for the Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel. Someone else started a topic about staying there so if anything I'll ask my questions there.

Thanks so much for your help. I really look forward to an amazing trip with your guidance.

• Banned User

Re: Planning A Trip, So Many Questions..

From Tokyo to Osaka, I would recommend the Bullet train. If you buy the JR pass before arriving in Japan, you may be able to use it for a side trip to Osaka and USJ. The trip takes about 3 hrs... and it's a lot of fun. Just bring your luggage along. Most Shinkansen Bullet trains have luggage racks if I recall.
    To go from USJ to TDR... take the local train from USJ JR station to Osaka st. Then to Shin-Osaks, where you board the bullet train to Tokyo. Once there, connect to the keiyo line to TDR. It's very simple and having luggage should not be an issue. I you are staying at the Palm/Fountain... get off the train at Maihama st. (TDR's station),then walk a few minutes to the bus stop and get on the hotel free shuttle. OR... get off the train at Shin-Urayasu and take a taxi for the short trip... which whould cost about 800 yen or so...

• MiceAge Columnist

We found great value in setting up hotels so that our first night and last night were the same. We left luggage at the Sheraton Grande (at TDR) while we went around to Kyoto, Hiroshima, and other places, and returned back to Sheraton for one night before flying out of Narita again. Worked like a charm. And it was free.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    I've been reading up on a lot of things on these boards and it's been a great help.
    I have a few questions about a trip I'm planning later this year.

I don't want it to be a Tokyo Disney Resort trip only.. I'd like to spend some time in Tokyo, visiting some of the different districts, etc. I'd also like to work in a visit to Universal Studios Japan.

I feel like my luggage would be holding me down a lot since a lot of the traveling is with public transit.. But if I wanted to a trip from USJ to Tokyo to TDR, what would be my best bet? I'll be flying Singapore Air and it looks like they don't fly into Osaka. Is Kansai Int'l (KIX) that much closer that I should fly there instead of Tokyo and then travel to Tokyo? Or should I just take a train from Tokyo?

Also, I imagine taking a Limousine Bus from the Airport to my first hotel won't be an issue and from my last hotel to the airport as well. But how would I manage to get around from one place to the other with my luggage? Isn't the cab fare really expensive and hauling luggage around the train stations completely unfeasible?

I would like to stay 2 nights in Osaka, 2 or 3 nights in Tokyo and 3 or 4 nights in the TDR, not necessarily in that order. My tentative dates are November 28-December 8, 2008.

I definitely won't be staying on-site this time so I'll probably opt for the Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel. Someone else started a topic about staying there so if anything I'll ask my questions there.

Thanks so much for your help. I really look forward to an amazing trip with your guidance.

I believe Singapore air does fly to osaka, just that I'm not sure if it flies to osaka from the place you want to depart from.

I'm planning a trip in september and have travelled the below route before. I am also traveling with a kid, so as you can imagine, luggage lugging will be a problem.

Fly to Osaka, take limo bus to hotel. probably stay near osaka station eg granvile hotel.
    take train to kyoto. stay near kyoto. travel to tokyo via shinkansen. stay at shinagawa [perhaps shinagawa prince] which has a shinkansen stop.
    travel to disney via train. stay onsite.

If you are taking the trains, then you'll still need to move the luggages up and down the escalators/lifts. Not a big problem if you do it slowly and take it easy, especially if you can pull the luggages along. However, if you have more than what 1 person can carry then it might be a be difficult. only other option is to pack light.

Let me know if I can help more.

Thanks for your help guys.

Is the Japan Railpass really like $300? I'll probably have to pass.. $300+ 2 nights hotel+tickets just to visit 1 park for a day seems like way too much money and hassle.

Also, how are they with credit cards over there? I have Visa, American Express, Mastercard.. I know I'll definitely have to exchange for Yen but will I be able to pay for the hotel and some stuff at Disney (tickets, table service meals) with card at least?

• Banned User

You will spend just as much doing the shinkansen train to/from Osaka and also the many trains in the city around Tokyo or Osaka if you are planning to do some sightseeing.... But, if your visit to Japan is mere few days, as opposed to a week or longer, then having the JR pass may not be worth it.

• Loves Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Also, how are they with credit cards over there? I have Visa, American Express, Mastercard.. I know I'll definitely have to exchange for Yen but will I be able to pay for the hotel and some stuff at Disney (tickets, table service meals) with card at least?
    Credit cards are accepted at many but not all places make sure you always have cash on you as well. This was one of the few problems a friend of mine had when visiting us.

• Banned User

Bring debit, but do have cash as well... G-Fan tried using his debit card at various international ATMs and it did not work. Likewise, my debit card was never an issue at TDR's ATMs but in the past few months, it has not worked either. I have no idea why this is happening... yet, I can get cash at the japanese Citibank, 7-11, and postal ATMs with no problem... Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You will spend just as much doing the shinkansen train to/from Osaka and also the many trains in the city around Tokyo or Osaka if you are planning to do some sightseeing.... But, if your visit to Japan is mere few days, as opposed to a week or longer, then having the JR pass may not be worth it.
    I'm planning to be there for a little over a week but now I'm starting to feel guilty about being in Japan and allotting so much time to the parks. I should be experiencing JAPAN (!!!) but then I'm a theme park fiend and Disney/Universal are the ultimate. I'll have to work it out. Luckily if I do decide to go with the rail pass, there's an agency I can buy it at here in Miami, FL.

No problems with credit cards at TDR. We did take plenty of cash, so within Tokyo itself we didn't have to worry about places taking cards. I did a little shopping and it seemed that most places had signs for taking credit cards. I visited The Disney Store to get my park tickets I charged the total without any problem. Our hotel was fine with them also. We didn't need an ATM, but I understand (as I think TDLFAN mentioned) that the ATM's at Post Offices usually take international cards.

Our big thing was cell/mobile phones. We had to rent some, as neither my iPhone or husbands Blackberry work in Japan. We found that out in advance and were able to rent something online (from Softbank) We both needed phones to keep in contact with each other while he was at work (ha ha) and I was at Disney!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post

Our big thing was cell/mobile phones. We had to rent some, as neither my iPhone or husbands Blackberry work in Japan. We found that out in advance and were able to rent something online (from Softbank) We both needed phones to keep in contact with each other while he was at work (ha ha) and I was at Disney!
    I have had this problem to, and I believe its got something to do with not having a 3G Compatible Handset. Its funny you bring it up because I ended up purchasing a new phone today, as my old one sucks and I need to be able to use it in Hong Kong next month and I was recomended that I needed a 3G Compatible Handset. I think this is something anyone who is planning a trip should take note off. I now have a brand new SonyEricsson k850i http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...0i?cc=us&lc=en

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    We didn't need an ATM, but I understand (as I think TDLFAN mentioned) that the ATM's at Post Offices usually take international cards.
    That is correct.

Our big thing was cell/mobile phones. We had to rent some!
    You can also rent cell phones upon arrival at Narita Airport's arrival lobby, outside customs.
    Several companies have rental desks there.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    That is correct.

You can also rent cell phones upon arrival at Narita Airport's arrival lobby, outside customs.
    Several companies have rental desks there.
    We had our softbank phones delivered to our hotel (as I knew we wouldn't be thinking straight getting off the plane) It cost us $7 extra. We then dropped them off at a rental desk at the airport when we left. There are a bunch of different ones there. DoCoMo, and Softbank are the better know ones. It was surprisingly easy. The only thing we had to do when we rented them over the internet, is that my husband had to fax a copy of his passport to them (something they would take of a copy of if you rented anyway, but as ours were to be delivered)

The great thing with the phones was that they had email, texting and also could do photos. My 7 year old and I had lots of fun emailing Daddy at work with our adventures in Tokyo, with photos. I think our total bill for the two phones was around $150. It was kind of priceless for us, both from a business perspective and a security one too. I guess a little pricey, but I was calling my Mum in England and also my cat (well, his kennels) at home in USA every day too.

My experience on this trip:

I found it almost impossible to get a non-exorbitant flight into Narita in time to catch the last direct airport limo to TDR. I got a crappy connecting, more expensive flight solely because it got in at 3:30pm so I could make the direct bus that stops at 5:05pm. Instead, the flight was late by 40 minutes, which made it land at the same time with 2 other planes. The result was that I ended up spending another ~45 minutes in Customs, and missed the bus by 10 minutes. Having a bunch of heavy luggage and a Mom with me, the best alternative ended up being to take the limo to the Brighton Hotel, and then cabbing from there. I was told a cab would cost around 2000 yen, and it ended up being about 2080 but was totally worth it, given the effort I had to exert the last time, dragging my luggage across the street to the station, onto the train, over to the monorail station, and onto the bus to the Hilton.

• Banned User

edit.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-19-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: double post. Deleted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast