Too much merchandise, not enough money...l

OK, I have 1.5 days left to buy stuff. Is the Dream Box the best DVD set to get of the park right now? I have no prior TDR dvds. Also, is there one that would be recommended for DisneySea? Will I be able to play these on my computer until I can get a hold of a region-free dvd player? Any recommendations on region-free dvd players? Are the dvds the same price everywhere, or are they cheaper in Downtown Tokyo/online (with shipping to CA?)

Further, is there a good book/magazine on the resort to buy? I have only a smattering of katakana in my arsenal, but a lot of them seem to have great pictures and details of the rides. Is there one that would be good even not getting a lot of the text?

Also, because I am a loser, I was planning on buying some stuff that I saw in the parks and assumed would be at Bon Voyage, which apparently isn't, and now I'm finished with my 4 days. Is there anyway to get in just to buy stuff? Or do I have to buy another ticket?

Bought another popcorn bucket. Also a commemorative lanyard. Also a commemorative cup that came with a dessert. I feel like the chicken from Surf's Up when he first got to the island.

• Banned User

Re: Too much merchandise, not enough money...l

Quote Originally Posted by lonegungirl View Post
    OK, I have 1.5 days left to buy stuff. Is the Dream Box the best DVD set to get of the park right now?
    NO. This set is not about the parks but about a historical overview of past shows, parades, and special events. If you are looking for a resort dvd set, look for the one that has the Aquasphere on the cover. It has three dvds that are exclusively theme park material and lots of material from TDS as well.. Can't remember the name of the set now. If you are in Tokyo, go to Ispiari's Shinseido store as they have the entire collection. As for prices, you won't find them any cheaper in the city. Amazon Japan may sell them cheaper but shipping may pump up the prices. Retail prices in Japan are regulated to avoid competition, so it's doubtful you will find deals on these sets out on stores in the city.
    They are region 2. I do not know if your computer may play them, but some people I know have been able to do so. It's best to have a region 2 or region free dvd at home. You can get some of these cheap online at some retails... just do a search on google for those online retailers and deals.

Further, is there a good book/magazine on the resort to buy? I have only a smattering of katakana in my arsenal, but a lot of them seem to have great pictures and details of the rides. Is there one that would be good even not getting a lot of the text?
    Currently, they are selling a "Dream" book at the park.. with lots of stunning photography, a dvd and post card. It's 3,900 yen.

Also, because I am a loser, I was planning on buying some stuff that I saw in the parks and assumed would be at Bon Voyage, which apparently isn't, and now I'm finished with my 4 days. Is there anyway to get in just to buy stuff? Or do I have to buy another ticket?
    There is no way to go into the parks just to shop. You will have to buy a ticket. Sorry. For the record, Bob Voyage does not have all of the merchandise you see at the park. This store is not a "World of Disney" perse... your best bet right now would be to go to the resort shops and see what you can find there...

Bought another popcorn bucket. Also a commemorative lanyard. Also a commemorative cup that came with a dessert. I feel like the chicken from Surf's Up when he first got to the island.
    Don't feel too bad, as I spent a lot of money myself this past week and still... skipped a lot fo stuff I liked... and didn't even get the Spring Carnival popcorn bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post

Don't feel too bad, as I spent a lot of money myself this past week and still... skipped a lot fo stuff I liked... and didn't even get the Spring Carnival popcorn bucket!
    NO! I can't believe that. I'm shocked!!!

• Banned User

OK, I have 1.5 days left to buy stuff. Is the Dream Box the best DVD set to get of the park right now? I have no prior TDR dvds. Also, is there one that would be recommended for DisneySea?
    Let me elaborate a bit on this... in addition to the current Dream Box, which is a historical overview of shows, parades and special events of the past 25 yrs, there are TWO additional dvd sets. One is a 3-dvd set that comes in a pink box. This one includes the entire Fantillusion dvd and musical tour of TDL dvd. But it also contains the first TDR dvd which includes lots of footage from TDS' 1st year. That dvd alone makes this set worth buying, and you can still find this dvd on sale by itself, if you do not want to fork all that money.

The other and newer set is a 2-disc dvd set in a blue box that has a picture of TDS at the top and TDL at the bottom of the front cover. It includes an updated TDR dvd program with newer footage from both parks and from around the resort. The other dvd in that set comes in a gold like color case design and it is a more involved program about the details and storytelling of both parks thru it's architectural design and decorations that tell an underlying story that many guests may not be as savy to discover on their own. These two programs can also be found sold separately, if you only care for one or the other.

Hope that helps you decide which dvd program is right for you.

Thanks, it was a big help. I was initially just going to get the Dream box as that's what was on sale everywhere, but ultimately decided to wait on it, since I never actually saw any of the shows and parades on it. I went down to the Shinseido in Ikspiari intending on getting the pink box, but the salesguy there communicated that they used to have other box sets but now the Dream Box was the only one they were carrying.

I tried to look for the original TDR DVD, but they seemed to only have the updated one, so I got that one and the "secrets" one, which I guess is basically the 2 disc set.

I looked at the Dream book, but ultimately got a small brown dotted paperback called something like "Tokyo in Pocket (19)" which has a lot of photos and looks to have a phenomenal amount of information that I will appreciate as soon as I learn Japanese.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the pink box next time. They really turn over the merchandise there--I think I went to the Disney Store in Ikspiari about 3 times during the week, and each time they had different stuff, displayed differently.

• Banned User

I tried to look for the original TDR DVD, but they seemed to only have the updated one, so I got that one and the "secrets" one, which I guess is basically the 2 disc set.
    That is probably the best buy in regards to actual park tour footage. So you did good.