Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,872

    Question(s) on MiraCosta

    well I've been thinking and this may seem a bit random even but has anyone ever stayed in this hotel?

    I'm curious as to what they do if anything about guests staying there and possible views they'd get of the night crews cleaning the parks or whatnot? wouldn't this be an issue with it being located right in the parks gates?

    Also anyone got any pictures of the inside of it more I mean seems like alot of coverage goes to the outside


    How does it compare to DLP Disneyland Hotel? I've always been interested in this hotel in the park concept and keep wondering how these things do and don't compare to the Grand Californian

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    I've stayed there twice now, and I am staying there again this July. Yes, you do get to see them preparing to close and open the park. I don't really find this bothersome, as this work is done when most guests are asleep. Plus I find the whole process very interesting. I have posted pictures of the interior and views from the rooms before, so feel free to search them up.

    As for comparisons, I find that the MiraCosta has utilized the concept better than either the Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian. Certainly, the views are a lot better. Many rooms have views of the lagoon shows, and access to the park is less than 30 seconds from the elevators. The entire first floor of the hotel is taken up by the park's restaurants and shops, thus making the hotel an integral part of the park.

    Aside from that, the MiraCosta is also much more luxurious than the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand Californian has a different atmosphere that is more relaxed, so I won't compare the two. However, the MiraCosta does have an extremely elegant feel that is unsurpassed when it comes to the Disney hotels. Only time will tell if the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel will match its grandeur.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  3. #3

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Only time will tell if the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel will match its grandeur.
    It might match it in the bling/excess department, but stylistically it will never be anywhere near as brilliant as the MiraCosta. They've made sure of that by building a big fake so-not-Victorian-it-hurts hotel with plastic topiaries in front of it.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It might match it in the bling/excess department, but stylistically it will never be anywhere near as brilliant as the MiraCosta. They've made sure of that by building a big fake so-not-Victorian-it-hurts hotel with plastic topiaries in front of it.


    The exterior of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is not my favorite among the Disneyland Hotels (that honor belongs to the one in Paris). However, I have no doubt that its interior will blow all the others away, especially its grand atrium lobby. If it's anything like the Disneyland Hotel in Hong Kong, I'm sure it will be much more aesthetically pleasing and elegant than the Grand Floridian or Disneyland Hotel in Paris (which ironically, is my least favorite of the 4 when it comes to interior design; awfully bland and uninspired).

    If they ever build another Disneyland Hotel, they would use the model first set by Hong Kong. That is, replacing the dated look and stuffiness with whimsy, magic, and refined elegance. Both the one in Hong Kong and Tokyo have an extremely fantastical (for lack of a better term) design full of Disney magic that is beautifully integrated into the Victorian atmosphere.

    The Disneyland Hotel in Paris tried to incorporate that feel in the form of Disney characters, but in a not so elegant or subtle way. Instead of blending in perfectly, they actually seem rather out of place. All in all, the hotel lacks the wow factor of the Grand Floridian and the whimsy and charm of the newer designs. The lobby feels like a scaled down version of the Grand Floridian's, both in size and in design. Only a single chandelier in the whole atrium, no stained glass domes, no birdcage elevators, or even a grand piano and live music. As a result, the atmosphere is very lacking and the Victorian theme certainly not as well carried out. I find the hotel rather boring overall, except for the brilliant exterior (which is one of my favorite designs of all time).
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 05-05-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  5. #5

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post


    The exterior of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is not my favorite among the Disneyland Hotels (that honor belongs to the one in Paris). However, I have no doubt that its interior will blow all the others away, especially its grand atrium lobby. If it's anything like the Disneyland Hotel in Hong Kong, I'm sure it will be much more aesthetically pleasing and elegant than the Grand Floridian or Disneyland Hotel in Paris (which ironically, is my least favorite of the 4 when it comes to interior design; awfully bland and uninspired).

    If they ever build another Disneyland Hotel, they would use the model first set by Hong Kong. That is, replacing the dated look and stuffiness with whimsy, magic, and refined elegance. Both the one in Hong Kong and Tokyo have an extremely fantastical (for lack of a better term) design full of Disney magic that is beautifully integrated into the Victorian atmosphere.

    The Disneyland Hotel in Paris tried to incorporate that feel in the form of Disney characters, but in a not so elegant or subtle way. Instead of blending in perfectly, they actually seem rather out of place. All in all, the hotel lacks the wow factor of the Grand Floridian and the whimsy and charm of the newer designs. The lobby feels like a scaled down version of the Grand Floridian's, both in size and in design. Only a single chandelier in the whole atrium, no stained glass domes, no birdcage elevators, or even a grand piano and live music. As a result, the atmosphere is very lacking and the Victorian theme certainly not as well carried out. I find the hotel rather boring overall, except for the brilliant exterior (which is one of my favorite designs of all time).
    Well, the live music at the DLP Disneyland Hotel is to be found in the Main Street Lounge. And I prefer its integration of Disney iconography to Hong Kong's -- instead of every doorknob and planter being shaped like Mickey's head, the references are less lurid, and WDI gave us a customized painting of Main Street U.S.A. over the fireplace and Disney characters woven into wallpaper damasks.

    But I'm not going to argue with you about which incarnation of the Grand Floridian is the nicest (partly because we've already done that twice before), and I actually agree that DLP's is greatly overpriced. I'm just shocked at how much I dislike what I've seen of Tokyo's version of it so far. The plastic topiaries put me over the top. It's almost as if the success of the (wonderful-looking) MiraCosta went to their heads and this is their version of Mariah's "Glitter".

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Well, the live music at the DLP Disneyland Hotel is to be found in the Main Street Lounge. And I prefer its integration of Disney iconography to Hong Kong's -- instead of every doorknob and planter being shaped like Mickey's head, the references are less lurid, and WDI gave us a customized painting of Main Street U.S.A. over the fireplace and Disney characters woven into wallpaper damasks.
    Those Main Street paintings also exist in the Hong Kong version, changed of course to reflect the look of of the building. And the wallpaper has the symbols of Disney characters woven into it as well, so that aspect is not unique to Paris' either. And unlike Paris', the Disney characters throughout the whole hotel are integrated in subtle and appropriate ways. The motifs are elegantly subdued, nothing like the unsightly (and large!) plastic models of Disney characters scattered throughout the hotel in Paris that seem horribly out of place. Nothing like that exists at Hong Kong's, thankfully. Every reference is tasteful and visually pleasing due to their ability to blend into the environment.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  7. #7

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Those Main Street paintings also exist in the Hong Kong version, changed of course to reflect the look of of the building. And the wallpaper has the symbols of Disney characters woven into it as well, so that aspect is not unique to Paris' either. And unlike Paris', the Disney characters throughout the whole hotel are integrated in subtle and appropriate ways. The motifs are elegantly subdued, nothing like the unsightly (and large!) plastic models of Disney characters scattered throughout the hotel in Paris that seem horribly out of place. Nothing like that exists at Hong Kong's, thankfully. Every reference is tasteful and visually pleasing due to their ability to blend into the environment.
    You mean the Fantasia sculptures in the pool area? Alright, I suppose they're not very Victorian. But Cafe Fantasia more than makes up for that, I think.
    But I haven't actually been to Hong Kong, so this is a discussion I'm obviously not going to win. Besides, I like what I've seen of that hotel. It has a hedge maze. All of which are real, haha.

  8. #8

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    I love the MiraCosta. Yes, you can watch the early-morning prep for park opening. There's nothing much to see--people wiping chairs, a guy in hip waders picking litter out of the lagoon, a golf cart arriving with potted plants. One thing I really loved in this hotel was the way Mickey announced the elevator. "Doa wo shimarimasu!"

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Question(s) on MiraCosta

    I like the Pinocchio inspired decor, breadspreads, wall paper.. etc etc.

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] MiraCosta access question
    By ChrisFL in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
  2. About rooms in Miracosta
    By PeeKooAaa in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 04:32 AM
  3. The next-best thing to Miracosta
    By MickeyMania in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 07:03 PM
  4. Miracosta Booking
    By Captain_Nemo in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 02:44 PM
  5. Hotel MiraCosta- Question
    By TDR_Fan in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 08:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •